New PC Gamer - Please Help!

Associate
Hello,

I’m looking to purchase my first gaming PC and would like some help please! Forgive me if anything below doesn’t quite make sense, I’m a noob.

What I’ll be using it for:
  • PC gaming
  • VR (most likely Oculus Rift S)
What I won’t be using it for:
  • I won’t be editing/creating content
  • I won’t be streaming
  • I won't be using it for work
I’m using 'The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners’ recommended PC specs as a minimum requirement for what I need from a VR perspective:
  • Processor: Intel i7 8700k / AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon Vega 56
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 40 GB available space
For non-VR, I’d like to be able to play Escape from Tarkov and upcoming games like Cyberpunk 2066 in 4K.
Additional Notes:
  • I’d like something quiet
  • I’d like something that isn’t going to overheat after 3 - 5 hours of playing
  • I was eyeing up the RTX 2060 GPU which I think should do everything I need it to do, but it would be great to get your thoughts
  • I’d rather something that looks smart over something with lots of colourful lights
  • Would this monitor do a £1500 PC with an RTX 2060 justice?: BENQ EL2870U 4K Ultra HD 27.9" LED Monitor - obviously I'm already spending a lot on the PC so don't want to spend more than necessary on a monitor yet.

Budget for PC: in the region of £1500.

I've never built a PC and quite honestly I just want to start using it as soon as it arrives.

I am currently playing on a PS4 Pro with a 4K HDR TV, so I’m looking for a significant upgrade on graphics and frame rate - otherwise what’s the point!

Many thanks,
Ben

Last edited:
Soldato
Hello
1st you need to remove the competitor names you Typed in bold, Competitor talk is against Forum Rules.

2nd, OCUK do build PC's to order, something like this:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x OcUK Tech Labs AMD Ryzen 3rd Gen Pro Gaming Configurator = £1,483.81
    • CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core 4.2GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - MPK
    • Motherboard:Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 Chipset ATX Motherboard
    • CPU Cooler:NZXT Kraken X53 AIO CPU Water Cooler - 240mm
    • Memory:Team Group 8Pack Edition 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/
    • Graphics Card:Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER Twin Fan 6144MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    • M.2 Solid State Drive 1 (Primary Drive If Selected):WD Blue 3D NAND 250GB M.2 2280 Solid State Drive (WDS250G2B0B)
    • M.2 Solid State Drive 2:Unwanted
    • 2.5" SATA Solid State Drive 1:Unwanted
    • 2.5" SATA Solid State Drive 2:Unwanted
    • Mechanical Hard Drive 1:Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 64MB Cache Hard Drive - *System Stock*
    • Mechanical Hard Drive 2:Unwanted
    • Power Supply:Seasonic Focus GX-850 850W 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply
    • Soundcard:Unwanted
    • Network Adapter:Unwanted
    • Case Lighting:Unwanted
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Home Advanced - Systems
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • Build Time:Standard Build Systems - Dispatched in approx 10-15 working days
    • Headset:Unwanted
    • Keyboard:Unwanted
    • Mouse:Unwanted
    • Graphics Card 2:Unwanted
    • NV Link Bridge - Nvidia RTX Cards Only:Unwanted
    • Monitors:Unwanted
    • Speakers:Unwanted
    • Gaming Chair:Unwanted
    • Gaming Desk:Unwanted
    • Cases: phanteks Eclipse P600S Glass Silent Midi Tower Case - Gunmetal Grey
Total: £1,497.91 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Associate
OP
Whoops, I thought this was just a forum and hadn't realised overclockers also sell PC's! I've updated the original post.

Thank you, I'll take a look!

Soldato
That BenQ is 3840x2160 monitor, which is way too much for any such level graphics card, unless wanting to cutting down graphics lot in heavier games.
And because of it being also 60Hz monitor like most such, even upscaled lower resolution wouldn't help to get modern framerates.
(proper high refresh rate gaming models have been basically MIA for couple years)

2560x1440 is the sweet spot with easier to get good framerates with higher graphics settings and using reasonably priced graphics cards.
VA panels (highest contrast of LCDs=good for dark/dimly lighted room) start from £260:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...een-led-backlit-gaming-monitor-mo-057-ao.html
And IPS with more balanced performance (for normally illuminated) room from £300:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...r400-widescreen-gaming-monitor-mo-14b-ac.html

And as you apparently don't want to tinker with PC's insides, or have friend/neighbour to do that, Ryzen 3700X is requirement for CPU unless wanting to get low end from start PC:
Next-gen consoles coming before Christmas have basically non-boosting variant of it.

OcUK can build PC from part list, which is lot better than those prebuilt configs, which usually have lacking bang per buck.
For example that £1500 is plain horrible for money with lower than next-gen console CPU in it and tiny SSD capable to holding only Wintoys10 and one big game.

Soldato
i'd agree with the above and go 1440p 144hz with a decent GPU such as 5700XT or 2070S which will manage that resolution well. Much nicer experience over 4k 60hz, I’d rather have high refresh rate over 4k any day with K+M, far smoother and more responsive experience while looking great.

I would go with:-
AMD 8 core 3700x (which comes with a cooler)
Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570 mobo
Corsair LPX 3000mhz (2x8gb)
Gigabyte gaming OC AMD 5700XT
Lian Li dynamic case
SuperFlower leadex III 650w
WD 500gb m.2
Seagate 2TB HDD

Should tally to around £1335 mark. If you plan to OC the cpu or want less noise then you can always upgrade or incorporate a better cooler into your config.

I chose the 5700xt due to freesync support, and cheaper choice in terms of monitors.

I’m sure ocuk could put together a build with the above specs or you could very easily build the pc yourself which will help you learn for future work on it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom