New phone, huge(?) upgrade...

Soldato
Ahoy hoy,

Currently have a Nexus 5 that is finally on its last legs, bought on release (no... not the X lol), so close to getting the 7years service achievement.

Looking for something around or below £400, preferably not overly massively sized (I have normal sized hands), 3.5m socket would be nice as I have some nice IEMs but they're probably on their last legs too so a wireless upgrade wouldn't be out of the question if needed.

Was looking at the Pixel 3a but then that got discontinued and also the 4a but that's not even properly announced yet. Perhaps the the One Plus Nord?
Haven't heard of many of the brands going about at the moment so really not sure. :/

I'm really just after something that doesn't burn my hands when I'm using it for more than 10mins and is a bit faster than the Nexus5 xD

Soldato
How about the OnePlus Nord? just been released, can get it on the amazon for 340 I think it is! although the screen size maybe too big?

If so, the S10e and Pixel 4a are probably your best options unless you went for the iPhone SE.

Associate
Can you hang on for the Pixel 4a ? It keeps being delayed but it can't be that far off release at this stage. The OPNord doesn't have a headphone jack otherwise I'd have suggested that (that said, I'm not 100% if the 4a has one either).

Soldato
Except it looks to be a single camera setup.
More camera lenses on the back of a phone does NOT mean you will end up with better pictures. Most ultra wide angle lenses on phones take **** quality shots (and the nord is no different).

Soldato
More camera lenses on the back of a phone does NOT mean you will end up with better pictures. Most ultra wide angle lenses on phones take **** quality shots (and the nord is no different).

As someone who hikes a lot I would have a hard time going without an UWA now as it can do absolute wonders for some shots. You can do panorama thing but not the same effect.

Suppose it is true that that quality can he significantly lower on midrange phones though or so I keep hearing. One on my S10e is great and imagine newer higher end phones are even better and it's something that can add an interesting perspective.

Soldato
OP
Hey guys, cheers for the replies.

Still really stuck as to what to go for. Think I can discount the Nord as I really do want to keep a 3.5mm jack.

Having just seen the news of the Pixel 4a I'm a bit disappointed in what it offers for £350. Seems you're paying a lot for the stock-Androidness and camera experience. If it were £270 as per the $350 conversion, I think I'd be much more interested.

These were my shortlist:
Poco F2 Pro - apparently I can grab one for £300 through aliexpress (not entirely sure how that site works), but it's SO massive and the camera/s are just "ok" (no OIS either).
Mi Note 10 - again through aliexpress they're going for £300~, but it doesn't seem as good value compared to the Poco. Better camera and size (for me), but worse cpu.
Galaxy S10/e/+ - These tick all my boxes, but to fit budget it'd have to be second hand from ebay and I'm not sure if I want to spend that much on something not new. These also seem to have an issue with black circles of (I assume) dead pixels) popping up, quite a few of these on ebay.

Will keep keeping an eye out on ebay and see if I can pick up a nice S10 of some description or I'll just suck it up and get the Pixel 4a for many monies. Or I'll just sod it all off and get something cheap and cheerful lol.

Back
Top Bottom