New Pipline email smells fishy

Soldato
For all you people who signed up (I haven't) you should take this as a positive thing as the whole scheme is starting to make a bit more sense.

Pipeline has a database of interested parties, information that can be passed on to companies at a cost. This cost then goes towards the admin side of Pipeline and pays the wages of those involved (or did you think they were doing it out of the kindness of there hearts :p )

In return you get your fuel discount and an inbox / letterbox full of junkmail. Seems fair enough to me, as with everything in life theres no such thing as a free lunch but if your saving a quid or two a week on fuel for the sake of binning a couple of letters then I don't think you can complain too much.

Jet

Jet

Soldato
lordrobs said:
For all you people who signed up (I haven't) you should take this as a positive thing as the whole scheme is starting to make a bit more sense.

Pipeline has a database of interested parties, information that can be passed on to companies at a cost. This cost then goes towards the admin side of Pipeline and pays the wages of those involved (or did you think they were doing it out of the kindness of there hearts :p )

In return you get your fuel discount and an inbox / letterbox full of junkmail. Seems fair enough to me, as with everything in life theres no such thing as a free lunch but if your saving a quid or two a week on fuel for the sake of binning a couple of letters then I don't think you can complain too much.

Pipeline Cards Privacy Policy
When you supply any personal information to Pipeline we have legal obligations towards you in the way we use this data. We must explain how we will use it and we must inform you if we want to pass the information on to anyone else.

In general, any information you provide to the Pipeline will only be used by Pipeline for the purposes of keeping you informed about fuel discounts and any other Pipeline activities.

Your information will only be disclosed to third parties where we are obliged or permitted by law. Specifically it will not be sold or passed on to marketers.

We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as you use the service you have requested, and remove it in the event that the purpose has been met, or, in the case of Pipeline membership you no longer wish to continue your registration as a member We will ensure that all personal information supplied is held securely, in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.

Not that difficult to understand is it. Besides it being illegal, Ben has had to make it clear many times now that he is not in the spam/scam business because of people like yourselves. Sure spam is a problem and so are scams. However, i firmly believe this is not one of them.

As far as i'm aware no company in the UK can sell on your details without your permission. I, nor any others, have signed up on that basis, therefore he is unable to do this without getting our permission. And if the suggestion is unacceptable, many will leave the scheme.

What it appears he is purporting to do at this stage is tell us of any offers he has been made aware of. He is not giving those companies our details, it's the other way around.

And quite how people expect one everday bloke to thrash out a deal on petrol with one of the biggest companies in the world in a matter of months is amusing to say the least.

Give him a chance for godsake. There is absolutely nothing to lose at this stage.

Soldato
Jet said:
What it appears he is purporting to do at this stage is tell us of any offers he has been made aware of. He is not giving those companies our details, it's the other way around.
Fair enough then but my point still stands- that is how pipeline is goint to cover its costs and pay the wages.

The end result is the same- crap through your door / in your inbox and possibly a discount on fuel at the end of the day.

No need to get a stress on, I'm not saying its a scam, simply pointing out that the whole scheme now seems to make sense. Rather than the unbelievable scenario of some guy deciding to go on a quest to get cheaper fuel for the masses with no financial gain for himself.

Jet

Jet

Soldato
lordrobs said:
Fair enough then but my point still stands- that is how pipeline is goint to cover its costs and pay the wages.

The end result is the same- crap through your door / in your inbox and possibly a discount on fuel at the end of the day.

No need to get a stress on, I'm not saying its a scam, simply pointing out that the whole scheme now seems to make sense. Rather than the unbelievable scenario of some guy deciding to go on a quest to get cheaper fuel for the masses with no financial gain for himself.

Of course the company he is giving 300,000 new customers to will give him something ;)

Aside from that, no you won't get crap through the door, as i've said, unless he changes the privacy policy and gives notice to everyone. If he does this then you can leave. You can always opt out of junkmail anyway, I think it's the law.

Back
Top Bottom