New planet found

Associate
Not quite sure how to tell you this but the universe is a pretty large place.

never....:rolleyes:

but 40 light years away, come on they've either being getting drunk when it passed there lens or its not true, and even in wiki, although its not always true to the word states its made up of helium and hydrogen, last time i checked they weren't the elements humans lived in

I think it's only just recently that the methods for detecting planets like this have been discovered, that's why over the last few years we've had so many new planet discoveries.

fair comment

Soldato
Close?! CLOSE?! Its not close! They make it out like its like a quick walk to the shops kind of distance away.

Well in universal terms I suppose it's barely a step from our proverbial front door when you consider the further known object is something around 13 billion light years away.

I say known, it's probably not ever there any more.

Caporegime
No he was saying that since the planet is twice the size of earth the boiling point of water is higher. But I can't be bothered to work out if it's a few degrees difference or the hundreds that they were talking about. It's in the right direction though, although they couldnt agree on whether it was fahrenheit or celsius they were talking about :p

So he's not quite as big a gimp as he sounded then. :p

(As I said I didn't watch the video so had no knowledge of why he said it!)

I think it's only just recently that the methods for detecting planets like this have been discovered, that's why over the last few years we've had so many new planet discoveries.

Essentially scientists are using the most powerful telescopes to measure miniscule changes in the light output from stars, extrapolating that into panet size and orbit. Shifts in the light colour can also tell them the major constituents of the atmosphere.

So it's not like someone with their little argos bought telescope could see them and explains why we have only recently been able to find planets orbiting other stars.:D

Associate
180,000 years to get there if we hopped on the fastest ever manmade object - helios as it passed close to the sun...

it would take 6 years to circle the earth to at least 60% of the light speed then once inline to the target would take another 5 years to reach 99% light speed, as physics and all that prevents things going faster then light like a galactic speed limit

any one watch Steven hawkin's programme, very interesting even if your not a geek or what ever

Last edited:
Soldato
never....:rolleyes:

but 40 light years away, come on they've either being getting drunk when it passed there lens or its not true, and even in wiki, although its not always true to the word states its made up of helium and hydrogen, last time i checked they weren't the elements humans lived in

fair comment

Well take this example :

They Take a tiny area of a tiny section of the sky which looks empty.
: Ypsrl.gif.png

They leave the satalite to collect light for 10 days. On the Selected Black area.
This is what they see.

Ibpw3.jpg.png

There are aproximatly 10,000 GALAXIES in this picture. Each galaxy having hundreds of BILLIONS of stars and god knows how many of those stars have planets.

And all that was from 1 very small part of a very tiny bit of the night sky.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom