New Plusnet customer, wifi constantly dropping?

Soldato
I've had a quick search and this seems to be a common complaint. We've had PN for about a month and it's been very disappointing. Strange as they were so good when we were with them about 5yrs ago.

We had 2 periods of outages totalling about 10 days for which I'm already chasing them for reimbursement but that's not my concern here. My main question here is that the wifi seems to drop constantly. It's become almost commonplace to come home and have to reboot the router to get it back. Or n the morning. Does my nut when I start asking the Google Home something and she interrupts me saying there's no connection :mad: For instance this morning my phones and GH were connected fine (GH was streaming music) yet when I turned on my laptop it couldn't connect :confused: So I had to reboot the router. Weird. Other times my phone looks like it's connected fine but as soon as I try to actively do something online it disconnects :confused:

Anyhoo. Is there anything I can do with the router settings regarding frequency etc that might improve this? Or does it sound like I've got a faulty router?

EDIT: Looking at the logs I am getting pages of this sort of stuff. Quick search seems to suggest separating the 2.4GHx and 5GHz bands as a solution? :confused:

Code:
12:56:21, 18 May. ath10: STA 88:b4:a6:bd:7f:fb IEEE 802.11: WiFi registration failed
12:43:48, 18 May. ath00: STA 88:b4:a6:bd:7f:fb IEEE 802.11: Client associated
12:41:21, 18 May. ath00: STA a4:50:46:08:6b:77 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
12:41:21, 18 May. ath00: STA a4:50:46:08:6b:77 IEEE 802.11: WiFi registration failed
12:37:44, 18 May. ath10: STA a4:50:46:08:6b:77 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
12:26:21, 18 May. ath00: STA 24:e3:14:5a:79:0c IEEE 802.11: WiFi registration failed
12:26:21, 18 May. ath10: STA a4:50:46:08:6b:77 IEEE 802.11: WiFi registration failed
12:25:04, 18 May. ath00: STA a4:50:46:08:6b:77 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
12:11:52, 18 May. ath10: STA 24:e3:14:5a:79:0c IEEE 802.11: Client associated
12:11:21, 18 May. ath10: STA 78:4f:43:7a:6e:51 IEEE 802.11: WiFi registration failed
12:11:21, 18 May. ath10: STA 24:e3:14:5a:79:0c IEEE 802.11: WiFi registration failed
12:02:55, 18 May. ath00: STA 78:4f:43:7a:6e:51 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
12:02:48, 18 May. ath00: STA 24:e3:14:5a:79:0c IEEE 802.11: Client associated
11:41:21, 18 May. ath00: STA 24:e3:14:5a:79:0c IEEE 802.11: WiFi registration failed
11:41:01, 18 May. ath00: STA 84:4b:f5:a7:79:1b IEEE 802.11: Client associated
11:32:43, 18 May. ath10: STA 88:b4:a6:bd:7f:fb IEEE 802.11: Client associated
11:32:43, 18 May. ath00: STA 88:b4:a6:bd:7f:fb IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated

Last edited:
Soldato
The plusnet combi router modem is utter pants. I'd upgrade and use superior equipment. I use a BT modem original fibre type and a high end wireless gigabit router and I've had no issues with plusnet fibre (8 years) since I've been using a dedicated modem and separate gigabit WiFi router. ( now on my second WiFi router but still original BT modem)

Soldato
They aren’t that bad, it’s a rebadged BT HH5 which a huge number of people have successfully used over the years. This assumes that the OP has a fibre connection not ADSL.

My mother had one for a while and it worked okay. I replaced it with a HH6 because they’re so cheap secondhand, but there was no pressing reason to.

Associate
Is this just wireless or are you seeing any oddness with the link dropping ect?
Could be a dry joint or heat related issue in the router or something.

Alternatively you could just get another AP and use that, i just got a really good TP link Ceiling item with decent management and a proper long spec list for 30 quid new off Amazon.

Soldato
OP
I can only go by looking at my SkyQ, AppleTV and FireTV which are plugged into ethernet but they all seem connected fine when the wireless has dropped. This morning is ridiculous. I've rebooted a million times, now my phones connect ok but my Macbook won't.

I'm loathed to buy another router. PN should be able to supply something that does the job for your average customer...

Soldato
If their router does have problems with the devices you mention they'll be chatter out there.

They aren't unusual devices so many people will be using them in combination with Plusnet routers.

If Googling 'plusnet router <my device>' doesn't turn up results then you've probably got an isolated problem.

Have you tried asking your question on Plusnet's own support forum?

Be careful about rebooting routers too often, especially if you're pulling the power rather than rebooting via the web interface. All those disconnects are just asking for DLM to kick in and reduce your connection speed.

Associate
i think its pretty much a rebranded BT HH5. disable auto wifi channel switching and try separating 2.4 and 5ghz and not syncing them and give them separate ssid's. always try to fix the connection issue by reboot/repair/disable wifi e.t.c on the device or login to router and disable/re-enable wifi or change the wireless channel and then change it back again which will refresh the wireless, NOT to reboot the router. the hh5 isnt a great router and once you start rebooting it all the time the DLM will kick in and see every reboot as instability and will take you off fast path, sync speed will drop and drop and drop, it'll reboot most nights and will take months, if at all, to give you back fastpath and sync speed.

Soldato
OP
Hmn ok thanks guys. There certainly a lot of threads on the PN forums about random wifi disconnects. It's almost hard to pick out any solution although it seems that it may be a firmware issue that PN don't want to admit.

Similar to the idea of splitting the 2.4GHz and 5GHz, I've just done another suggestion which is to disable 5GHz completely. Only done it 30mins ago so will see how we go. What's the downside of that? :confused: I'd already set 2.4GHz to channel 8 (which according to Wifi Analyzer was not congested locally) rather than 'automatic'. Hmn...

Soldato
You should only use channels 1, 6 and 11 on 2.4GHz.

By using channel 8 you'll be causing and receiving interference from people using channels 6 and 11. It's the wireless equivalent of leaving an old sofa to rot in your front garden.

There's an article here that explains more https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/why-channels-1-6-11.html

Disabling 5GHz will stop any devices that support 5GHz from using it. 5GHz is faster, and usually less congested than 2.4GHz but doesn't penetrate walls as well. Whether you'd miss 5GHz or not will depend on the devices you have connected.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure that article convinces me 1, 6 or 11 are the best to be honest!

Here is my locality. I'm llemmacs2.

sUUZbGZ.png

Day 2 of having turned off 5GHz and we're still running... no reboots necessary. Obviously it's not ideal and I will get onto PN but at least I have working wifi. Perhaps separating out the SSIDs may work as well and then I can hopefully leverage 5GHz as well. But would that cause issues with Google Home's etc? :confused:

Soldato
You can clearly see from that image that you are overlapping everyone on 6 and 11. TP-LINK_F5A7EC is also an inconsiderate **** and shouldn't be running configured like that in even a slightly congested area.

From that scan, you should clearly be on channel 11. Wireless is designed to handle people sharing the same channel. It can't handle the people who think they know better and choose random channels nearly so well. IMHO consumer routers should be locked to automatic to avoid this sort of tinkering.

If you did your own research on this you'd find plenty of other sources telling you the same thing.

Having separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz won't hurt anything. Many people choose to run configured that way even when there aren't problems.

Soldato
OP
From that scan, you should clearly be on channel 11. Wireless is designed to handle people sharing the same channel. It can't handle the people who think they know better and choose random channels nearly so well. IMHO consumer routers should be locked to automatic to avoid this sort of tinkering.
Why 11 and not 1? They both have 3 networks on them. 6 only has 2 but will overlap the TPLink you mentioned.

If you did your own research on this you'd find plenty of other sources telling you the same thing.
I will, the link above seemed to be a bit of a sell to their own software is all.

Having separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz won't hurt anything. Many people choose to run configured that way even when there aren't problems.
So what happens if my phone connects to SSID-1 (2.4GHz) and I want to cast to my Chromecast which is on SSID-2 (5GHz). Or my Harmony hub is on 2.4GHz, will it be able to talk to my CC on the 5GHz? :confused: Or is it a case of two SSIDs are on the same network anyway :confused:

Judging by this long thread on the PN forums this is all related to the 5GHz; https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Ro...1-83-8-263-or-Windows-10/td-p/1621662/page/19

The latest reply shows people on BT having similar issues with a new firmware.

Soldato
So what happens if my phone connects to SSID-1 (2.4GHz) and I want to cast to my Chromecast which is on SSID-2 (5GHz). Or my Harmony hub is on 2.4GHz, will it be able to talk to my CC on the 5GHz? :confused: Or is it a case of two SSIDs are on the same network anyway :confused:

It's a non-issue, it'll work fine.

Soldato
Why 11 and not 1? They both have 3 networks on them. 6 only has 2 but will overlap the TPLink you mentioned.

Because it's the only channel you can choose where you won't have an overlap from another network. If that TP-Link wasn't there I'd pick channel 1 because the maximum power is lower. Channel 1 may still be okay, you'd need to experiment.

I will, the link above seemed to be a bit of a sell to their own software is all.

Whatever they're selling, it's a reasonably simple and concise explanation.

If all routers were left on auto you'd only ever see 1, 6 and 11 in use because that's how it's supposed to work. There are historical reasons why there are apparently so many channels available to choose from.

Soldato
OP
It's a non-issue, it'll work fine.
Ok thanks. I'll give that a whirl when I have time to see if it resolves it. Judging by the threads on PN I doubt it. Having 5GHz turned off seems to be fine now.

Whatever they're selling, it's a reasonably simple and concise explanation.

If all routers were left on auto you'd only ever see 1, 6 and 11 in use because that's how it's supposed to work. There are historical reasons why there are apparently so many channels available to choose from.
Ok, I understand.

EDIT: Interestingly enough the Wifi Analyzer shows this recommendation;
zWK6prs.png

And are you not recommending 1 because of the overlap?
QogYr67.png

Last edited:
Associate
Wow, this is an interesting thread and i also have had a play with wifi analyser.

i have 2 wifi we use, one plusnet hub in the house and a cable run to the garage in to a hub to hard wire
xbox, ps4 pc etc and homeplugs in the garage for wif.

it seems that both are set to channel one and in my location that channel is well congested, so plusnet hub set to chanel 6 (wifi analyser recommended) and
the homeplugs, well i checked wifi 5ghz and no-one was using it so i disabled 2.4 and stuck to just me on 5ghz channel 40, again wifi analyser recommended.

Now the homeplugs lan ports are rock solid but the wifi drops out every evening without fail, come in here today and its still on, wow i hope this is not a fluke
but i never get to come in here and have wifi without restarting the home plugs.

going to keep my eye on it in the garage and see if i can bring items in here to check if we have any devices that do not support 5g wifi before i upset everyone in the house.

all in all i seem to have made a positive change and i will let you know.

thank you for the insight.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok thanks. I'll give that a whirl when I have time to see if it resolves it. Judging by the threads on PN I doubt it. Having 5GHz turned off seems to be fine now.

Ok, I understand.

EDIT: Interestingly enough the Wifi Analyzer shows this recommendation;
zWK6prs.png

Well, channel 14 isn't approved for use in the UK.

If you use channel 13 you'll be making a mess for all the civilised people on channel 11.

And are you not recommending 1 because of the overlap?
QogYr67.png

You've now a right mess.

Haywired is configured to **** all over everyone. There isn't even enough separation for the people up on channel 11. They should be hunted down and beaten.

TP-Link_F5A7EC is making a mess of channel 6. They are at least on a normal channel, just running the wrong width.

You're causing problems for everyone on channels 6 and 11.

Wireless is a shared resource and you want to see three neat humps with a full channel of separation between them.

Here's a scan from my house and is what it's supposed to look like:

7UBcPhp.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
this was 2.4ghz at its best and others were joining as the day went on (do people really turn off wifi until they get home)

47847802072_468109234f_m.jpg

and this is wifi 5ghz, seems its all mine lol.

40933458203_b23f314a83_m.jpg

Soldato
OP
Excuse the lack of replies but I've been far too busy at work to play about with this. Currently still just using 2.4Ghz (which seems fine) and summoning up the energy to ring PN and complain (again!). Is anyone here on Plusnet and having these 5Ghz wifi issues? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom