** NEW PRODUCTS ARRIVED AT OcUK!! **

Associate
I was a regular overclockers buyer - not sure when I joined but at least 2011 (I checked my old emails :D )
Tried to login to the forums in March only for my password to not be recognised (I use a password manager so it was definitely correct)
created a new password and my account was completely reset to a new account.
Typical - I suppose I'm stuck with a GTX 970 from 2014 for quite some time yet :(

Soldato
I was a regular overclockers buyer - not sure when I joined but at least 2011 (I checked my old emails :D )
Tried to login to the forums in March only for my password to not be recognised (I use a password manager so it was definitely correct)
created a new password and my account was completely reset to a new account.
Typical - I suppose I'm stuck with a GTX 970 from 2014 for quite some time yet :(

Probably not the right forum to post this in. Why not speak to the mods directly??

Associate
You need to have been registered on the forum for more than 1 year and have 1000 posts I believe.

A brilliant move by Overclockers to not only combat bots and scalpers, but also shows how much they value their loyal community.

It's certainly a step in the right direction but a shame it couldn't be based on spend with them over x years. I could've spent years chatting away on the Forums and never spent a bean with them, equally i could've spent tens of thousands with them and never posted a single message. Like i say, better than nothing i guess.

Soldato
It's certainly a step in the right direction but a shame it couldn't be based on spend with them over x years. I could've spent years chatting away on the Forums and never spent a bean with them, equally i could've spent tens of thousands with them and never posted a single message. Like i say, better than nothing i guess.

If it was based on how much you spend it would reward scalpers more than genuine customers

Associate
If it was based on how much you spend it would reward scalpers more than genuine customers

It would, and basing anything on an unfactored spend metric would not achieve what most people would like to see - GPUs going to gamers, content creators and other people who *need* a GPU to complete or upgrade a PC build.

Firstly let me say, I appreciate OCUK’s difficulty in managing any form of targeted / selective system for deciding who gets a GPU. It needs to be practical to implement in their e-commerce platform, and not incur a huge manual processing overhead.

So this suggestion is purely hypothetical - a metric that would match the intended target. Prioritise customers based on their purchase of any matched CPU plus motherboard. Each pairing allows you to be prioritised for a single GPU. And bound it by time - say for purchases over the past 3 years. e.g. if you purchase 3 CPUs and 2 motherboards over the past 3 years, you are prioritised for 2 GPU purchases. Everyone prioritised gets 1 before someone else can have a 2nd, and so on.

This would have the advantage that the buyer would have to have a history of buying from OCUK (regardless of forum activity) and moving forward encourage people to buy more components from them.

Now the reality is that I’m sure their e-commerce system won’t support this, and it would be a massive undertaking if done manually. However, let’s not kid ourselves - these shortages come in waves, and this situation is very likely to repeat in future years. Now is the time to make preparation for the next shortage

Associate
It would, and basing anything on an unfactored spend metric would not achieve what most people would like to see - GPUs going to gamers, content creators and other people who *need* a GPU to complete or upgrade a PC build.

Firstly let me say, I appreciate OCUK’s difficulty in managing any form of targeted / selective system for deciding who gets a GPU. It needs to be practical to implement in their e-commerce platform, and not incur a huge manual processing overhead.

So this suggestion is purely hypothetical - a metric that would match the intended target. Prioritise customers based on their purchase of any matched CPU plus motherboard. Each pairing allows you to be prioritised for a single GPU. And bound it by time - say for purchases over the past 3 years. e.g. if you purchase 3 CPUs and 2 motherboards over the past 3 years, you are prioritised for 2 GPU purchases. Everyone prioritised gets 1 before someone else can have a 2nd, and so on.

This would have the advantage that the buyer would have to have a history of buying from OCUK (regardless of forum activity) and moving forward encourage people to buy more components from them.

Now the reality is that I’m sure their e-commerce system won’t support this, and it would be a massive undertaking if done manually. However, let’s not kid ourselves - these shortages come in waves, and this situation is very likely to repeat in future years. Now is the time to make preparation for the next shortage

I quite like the system they have 1000 posts gives access to MM. shows commitment to those that contribute to the forum....maybe when they dropped it to 50 posts the other day, link that with those that have actually spent money at OC, maybe £500+ or £1000+. (my last purchase i think was a geforce 6600 gt some time ago so a timeframe of 3 cpu and 2 mobo in last 3 years might be a stretch...not everyone upgrades on such a quick timeframe...my purchase so long ago couldn't remember my forum details so started from scratch again a year ago)..Anyway, I was quite happy to buy mobo, cpu, memory here if I could get a gpu for a respectable price(was just shy of the 50 posts at time so missed out) so a min purchase attached to forum account seemed a decent proposal, so 1000 posts + 6 months min forum membership gives access, or £1k min spend at OC linked to forum account (non gpu's) and min 6months forum membership(and 50 posts min if that a requirement too), though that might be disadvantageous to those already with a system just upgrading a gpu, so a tough call.
Think most scalpers wont want to buy £1k of pc components as it'll be a lot of time consummed trying to move that on, prob at a slight loss, so will eat into their profit margin..better and quicker for them i suspect to just buy a prebuild and strip that out(am guessing). Anyway, it'd down to Oc to make the rules for gpu sales..we just have to follow them..hopefully, I've done enough post now so next time it's min 50 posts at least i have the option of getting something.
don't know if I making much sense but hopefully people get the idea, so agree with above, but formula need tinkering a little I think.

oh, and with gpu shortage a lot of people are doing only 1 gpu per person for current generation of gpu, which i think is fair..

Associate
I quite like the system they have 1000 posts gives access to MM. shows commitment to those that contribute to the forum....maybe when they dropped it to 50 posts the other day, link that with those that have actually spent money at OC, maybe £500+ or £1000+. (my last purchase i think was a geforce 6600 gt some time ago so a timeframe of 3 cpu and 2 mobo in last 3 years might be a stretch...not everyone upgrades on such a quick timeframe...my purchase so long ago couldn't remember my forum details so started from scratch again a year ago)..Anyway, I was quite happy to buy mobo, cpu, memory here if I could get a gpu for a respectable price(was just shy of the 50 posts at time so missed out) so a min purchase attached to forum account seemed a decent proposal, so 1000 posts + 6 months min forum membership gives access, or £1k min spend at OC linked to forum account (non gpu's) and min 6months forum membership(and 50 posts min if that a requirement too), though that might be disadvantageous to those already with a system just upgrading a gpu, so a tough call.
Think most scalpers wont want to buy £1k of pc components as it'll be a lot of time consummed trying to move that on, prob at a slight loss, so will eat into their profit margin..better and quicker for them i suspect to just buy a prebuild and strip that out(am guessing). Anyway, it'd down to Oc to make the rules for gpu sales..we just have to follow them..hopefully, I've done enough post now so next time it's min 50 posts at least i have the option of getting something.
don't know if I making much sense but hopefully people get the idea, so agree with above, but formula need tinkering a little I think.

oh, and with gpu shortage a lot of people are doing only 1 gpu per person for current generation of gpu, which i think is fair..
I'd have to disagree on this one, spending £1k to get access to buying MSRP cards would not have any significant impact on their profit. Especially where their mark up are over 100%. So they only need 1GPU to breakeven which to me seems wrong.

Associate
I'd have to disagree on this one, spending £1k to get access to buying MSRP cards would not have any significant impact on their profit. Especially where their mark up are over 100%. So they only need 1GPU to breakeven which to me seems wrong.
You still need 50 posts and 6 months forum membership.. Plus 1 card per account... They might loose 20% from selling non gpu parts and make on gpu, but thats a lot of time and effort for 1 gpu... Nothi g to stop them buying the prebuilds at mo and stripping those out... Remember for the amd rt6700xt cards at 900, think rhey were dropped by £250/300...scalper not going thru go thru all that trouble... All i was saying was adding another layer to the requirements already... The last 3070 were available to those with 6months, 50 posts...just adding payments to oc for other products as guessing those that have 1000plus posts have probably purchased from OC already or made a great contribution to tge forum which helps OC indirectly
But as i said, not our call anyway

Back
Top Bottom