New PSU needed?

Associate
Had a EVGA 850W G2 for 5+ years running a 4790K and 980TI. Then i got a 3090 FE put that in my system while i waited for my other stuff, had no problems for about 2 months.

This week i finally got all my stuff for a new system (specs are in my signature) and i've started getting coil whine while gaming.

Would this be the PSU causing this since i've gone from a 4790K/980TI to a 5900X/3090?

Soldato
Its possible. Coil whine can be caused by more load on a PSU. No guarantee that a new PSU will eliminate the cause of coil whine though you could be fortunate that it will. You have a very good PSU, I think that you are one of the unlucky ones that you have ended up with this problem through no fault of your own.

Have a read of the 'sticky' thread at the top of this section.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...8pack-to-try-and-prevent-coil-whine.18642494/

Soldato
3090 is indeed fair 100W more power hungry than 980 Ti and that higher draw along with 550+ W transients could be behind it.
But it's also equally likely that VRM of the card itself does that sound, maybe in combination with something else.

Have you tried stress testing only CPU and GPU separately to see if that gives any noise?

Associate
OP
3090 is indeed fair 100W more power hungry than 980 Ti and that higher draw along with 550+ W transients could be behind it.
But it's also equally likely that VRM of the card itself does that sound, maybe in combination with something else.

Have you tried stress testing only CPU and GPU separately to see if that gives any noise?
CPU stress test doesn't cause it.
GPU stress test does.

Back
Top Bottom