New PSU time approaching

Associate
Hi all,

Just realised my Coolermaster v850w gold PSU has gone beyond its 5 year warranty so want to replace it when the new range of graphics cards are released.

I need some suggestions on a suitable replacement really as I am a bit confused about what power i need based on what i currently run and what i might run in future.

I was considering the Corsair RM850x originally but still read complaints about the coil whine and that is certainly something I noticed on my other half's PC with a cheaper Corsair PSU.

To narrow the options I am looking for one with a 10+ year warranty and my current system is as follows :
  • Intel 7700k @ 4.7ghz (intending to move to Ryzen 3 some point after release)
  • 16gb (2 x 8gb) 3600mhz C16 G.Skill Trident Z RGB
  • EVGA 1080Ti Black (intend to change to whichever card can power 3440x1440p at 120fps at the highest possible settings)
  • Asus Z270f strix gaming motherboard
  • Lian Li OL11 Dynamic XL
  • 10 x LL120 RGB case fans
  • 1 x commander pro
  • 2 x RGB hubs
  • 2 x 120mm cooler fans
  • 1 x m.2
  • 3 x SATA SSD
  • 1 x SATA HD
Any recommendations welcome, not sure if a top quality 850w will continue to be fine with my future plans or whether i need to move up a notch to 1000w, but feels like overkill perhaps.

Thanks in advance!

Man of Honour
I wouldn't replace that psu just because the 5 year warranty is up. That is a excellent psu built by Seasonic using high quality internals and I never understood why CM only gave it a 5 year warranty when other brands were giving 7 and 10 year warranties. I would even go as far as saying it was the best psu series that Coolermaster ever sold. Anyway, there is no need to replace it and I would be perfectly happy to keep using it up to around 10 years old.

Associate
OP
Ah good to know thanks. I knew I bought it for a reason!

With regards to power output, appreciate there are unknowns about what zen 3 and the 30 series of Nvidia gcards will deliver consumption wise, would you still be comfortable at 850w?

Man of Honour
A 850w psu is a massive overkill for most single card systems so you will be well covered. Your current pc listed as above and with the CPU and GPU overclocked and both loaded fully will have a total system power draw somewhere around 500w at the wall and maybe 350-400w while gaming, depending on the game.

Back
Top Bottom