New Rider on a 600 Sports Bike?

Soldato
Hey,

I've been wanting to do my bike test for a while now, I'm looking to do my direct access and get straight on to a sports 600 which I know isn't the best idea but I believe that I'm old enough now not to kill myself in the first 5minutes :) It would be used for commuting 6miles a day when I feel like it and weekends.

Just to get figures in my head what sort of insurance would you be looking at for a new rider on a sports 600? I'm 26/27 if that makes a difference - I know insurance is a random question and different for everyone but ballpark figures would be good, I don't really want to get a bike that I'd end up changing 6months down the line.

And I suppose you're going to tell me so I might as well ask anyway... Is it THAT bad an idea to get say an R6 as a first bike? :p

P.S - Typing on my Dad's laptop with a dodgey keyboard so any typos I'm sorry :o

Thanks

Associate
my first ever road bike was a gsxr 600 srad, insurance was £540 third party only, i was 23 when i first got insured on it. as said , phone about, carole nash found me a great offer with axa on my recent purchase, altho i have no no claims as i entered a back of a royal mail post van around 4years ago :D

a 600 is a fine bike to start on :)

Soldato
OP
Wow, much better quote than I was expecting / had receive before when doing random quotes. £632 on a 2002 R6 garaged (it's a secure underground carpark so would have to confirm) in Manchester City Centre! Was expecting closer to £1k.

Ok that's more manageable than I was expecting so, am I going to die? :p

P.S - That was TPFT.

Soldato
I'm 26 and not done my DAS yet, but personally, I wouldn't go near a sportsbike until I'd ridden a 125 for a while. I've had my fair share of 'scary moments' over the past 6 months and it's taught me a lot - I'd probably be a lot worse off had I gone straight to a 600. Even after passing my DAS, I'll probably go to something big and lazy like a CBF1000, or if I run out of cash, a cheap 500. It'll be a couple of years at least before I'd feel comfortable going out on something with 150hp that can hit 180mph.

But maybe I'm just over-cautious... :)

Soldato
OP
No I completely understand and can appreciate why people go down the 125 route but I'd just perfer to get a bike that would set me up at least a good few years so I get settled with it rather than swapping and changing.

I'm pretty confident that I could trust myself for similar reasons as I'm over-cautious a lot of the time. I'd just be over-cautious and scared at the same time :p

I plan on doing my CBT first so I get a feel before my DAS as I've not had any real experience on a bike before.

Soldato
OP
my first ever road bike was a gsxr 600 srad, insurance was £540 third party only, i was 23 when i first got insured on it. as said , phone about, carole nash found me a great offer with axa on my recent purchase, altho i have no no claims as i entered a back of a royal mail post van around 4years ago :D

a 600 is a fine bike to start on :)

This i what I like to hear :)

How long have you been riding now and how long did you keep the srad?

Soldato
I was £340 for the first year on my SV650 then £110~ for the second year. (Age 21 for first year) 3rd Party fire and theft!

Soldato
I was exactly your age when I decided I wanted to do Direct Access and get a sports 600, and I did exactly that, and have never looked back.

I really don’t see why a sports or even super bike isn’t the best idea, it’s all down to the rider really, as you could have an accident on any bike, sure a 600 or thou have more power to get you into trouble, but see my first point for a solution to that!

My first bike was an 06 Kawasaki Ninja 636, and I would no doubt still be riding today if it wasn’t for getting wiped out on it almost two years ago – I went for it as it came highly rated as a newbie 600; most stated the extra 37cc helped the low-to-mid range power; thus making it a little more user-friendly around town.

I didn’t see the point of going the whole progression route – a 125, then 400/500 and so on, I knew what I wanted, I knew the risks and costs, and I kept my head and right hand in check on the thing. If you are sensible enough to know when and where to ‘give it beans’, then you should have a problem, and never over-estimate your abilities!

If you really want an R6 then go for it, assuming it’s the current shaped model, I’m sure you’ll be aware it’s not going to be built for comfort, it’s quite track-focused bike from what I understand, and although I had my heart set on one whilst laying in A&E :)D) the R1 was a better fit for me (short arse).

My fully comp was £1,500 by the way (carp post code!)

Soldato

To the OP, I would totally disregard this article, I scanned over it and the whole thing is preachy, unsubstantiated and comes across to me as being quite elitist; but it does seem to be American…. just watch some of the amateur stunting videos to see the macho BS these guys spout!

All of the points they raise against, could easily be applied to a long-term rider on a 1000cc, one of those guys that break out the bike the first decent day of summer and expect to ride like a god straight off the bat, it’s just a ridiculous argument.

Riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous, it doesn’t matter what you are riding or how experienced you are, there are groups out on the roads who can easily cause you harm, and it will boil down to a wrong place wrong time scenario; as I personally found. Sure, there is also the huge scope of the rider putting themselves into harms way, but as I have said, this comes down to the rider, and much as that ‘article’ seems to loath the word – a level head is what you need.

Last edited:
Soldato
Scary, glad you are ok now.

Thanks dude – need another op on the wrist but I’m hoping that waits until winter :D

But it just goes to show – wrong place wrong time, I had spent that weekend getting my knee down; after literally months of working up to it, and although it’s a very naughty thing to do on the road (with serious punishment as I understand now), I ensured I only did it when safe. But another road users lapse of common sense (along with his grasp of the Highway Code), saw me being involved is a serious accident.

Associate
This i what I like to hear :)

How long have you been riding now and how long did you keep the srad?

ive been riding bikes since younger years , field bikes, mototcross..ect but my first real road bike was the srad, i kept it for 3yrs , only recently have i got a new bike , so its a bit of a learning curve again :)

Soldato
A stationary bike doesn't hurt it's rider.
Two things hurt bikers - other road users/road furniture and the bikers ability/ego.
You're totally in control of the latter and need to be wary of the former.
I went from a CG125 to a CBR600 without any problems.

Soldato
I had never ridden a bike before I decided to take the Direct Acess Test. Bought myself a 2 year old ZX6R after my second lesson :D Having it sat in the garage was all the motivaion I needed to pass with flying colours.

Its only as quick as you want it to be, a prat is a prat wether they are riding a 50cc scooter or a busa. Take things slow, ride within your skill levels and you will be fine. modern 600s are so easy to ride, prob easier than older 125s.

Back
Top Bottom