New Ryzen build, can you check it for me please!

Associate
Hi, it's been a long time since I was on here but wanted to get back in to the overclocking and gaming scene. Last time I was here I was building machines with AMD Thunderbird AXIA chips! Anyway, after some reading around I've come up with this and just wanted to check whether it'll all sit together well. It'll be used for some games and photoshop/lightroom.

Is it worth paying the bit extra for the 1600x? I've read the 1600 overclocks quite well anyway. Also is the stock cooler any good? I want a quiet machine now so have been looking at the AIO kits, specifically the Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 AIO CPU Cooler or Cooler Master Seidon 240V AIO CPU Cooler but am a little unsure. Any advice on what would be decent? I'll be doing a bit of overclocking so want something that will hold up.

Are the m.2 SSD's much cop? I've currently got an 128gb sata one but games will be run off a 1TB WD drive.

Thanks for any input! :D

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,109.05
(includes shipping: £13.20)

Associate
OP
Cool thanks for that. That case I did just quickly pick so will investigate a bit more. There wasn't as much choice the last time I did this! :D

Soldato
The 3200MHz RAM is not worth the extra £70ish over the 3000MHz RAM, you can just get https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...al-channel-kit-grey-tlgd416g30-my-087-tg.html
for only £119.50, save the money to put towards a larger SSD, the 500GB Samsung 960 Evo is £229, so then you can put some of your games on it, if that's your thing, it will make a big difference to your Photoshop/Lightroom though Or you could save your money and buy actual games. :)

If you are wondering the actual performance difference it's around 2%, you have a small chance of getting it to run at 3200MHz, which is the point in over clocking. :)

Associate
OP
Cheers thanks for your input. One last question, what about the cooler? Will the stock one be sufficient and quiet? I don't mind spending a bit to achieve this!

Soldato
Cheers thanks for your input. One last question, what about the cooler? Will the stock one be sufficient and quiet? I don't mind spending a bit to achieve this!

The stock cooler is fine, and does OK if you have nice case cooling, but you'll not want to run the CPU heavily overclocked, to get to the magic 4.0GHz a lot of 1600's need 1.45v which the stock cooler really struggles with. IF you were thinkng about going for cooler on top of that, I would instead point you the the 8Pack bundle, which includes one of the two best boards available to the AM4 platform, good RAM and a nice 240mm AIO cooler.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £544.28
(includes shipping: £10.50)

EDIT: Your board, CPU and RAM (assuming 3000MHz) comes to about £425, for £108, you are getting a £230 board, and an AIO worth at least £70-80, so a great value bundle.​

Associate
OP
Order placed today and gone for the 8 pack bundle :D Thanks for the heads up on that @Journey Seemed like too good a deal. Had to switch the Zotac card though as the deal ended so went with the Asus dual version. I also went for the 400C case too after looking at several others so thanks again @mistersprinkles and thanks @lee32uk for the ssd recommendation. I found that drive elsewhere much cheaper so that on it's way. All should be here tomorrow ready for a weekend build :D

Associate
Order placed today and gone for the 8 pack bundle :D Thanks for the heads up on that @Journey Seemed like too good a deal. Had to switch the Zotac card though as the deal ended so went with the Asus dual version. I also went for the 400C case too after looking at several others so thanks again @mistersprinkles and thanks @lee32uk for the ssd recommendation. I found that drive elsewhere much cheaper so that on it's way. All should be here tomorrow ready for a weekend build :D

You're welcome. May your build be problem free and have fun with the PC.

Back
Top Bottom