New Ryzen Build!

Associate
My current PC is over 15 years old!

Think its time to upgrade. Just want a PC for general use and some gaming, like CSGO, and some older games Ive bought on steam but not really dived into yet (for example, the latest Doom wont even run on my current PC (drivers out of date). Want to overclock as its fun! And I like things to be cool and efficient.

Heres what I have so far:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,165.08 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Few things:

1. Whats the best bang for buck mobo or the current go-to mobo at the moment? Is it the MSI Tomohawk or are there problems with it with new Ryzen CPUs?

2. Is it worth going for 3600mhz memory over 3200mhz?

3. Any suggestions for improvement?

Budget is around £1000 - I say around because really there is no budget, but things have to be reasonable, cant buy £2000+ worth of PC stuff to then just use it to browse reddit and word processing! Cheaper the better whilst maximising performance! I will likely keep the PC for many many years if my current one is anything to go by....

Thanks in advance!

Caporegime
I dont know if I'd be overclocking too much on that board. Iirc, it doesn't have very good VRM thermal performance.

If you really want a 570 board, I'd try and add a bit to your budget and go for something like the Gigabyte Aorus Elite. Rest of the build is fine though. I've got that case, it's very nice to build in.

Look at your storage too. That 500GB will fill up fast. I need to buy a new one already, 2 months after my build!

Last edited:
Soldato
My current PC is over 15 years old!

Think its time to upgrade. Just want a PC for general use and some gaming, like CSGO, and some older games Ive bought on steam but not really dived into yet (for example, the latest Doom wont even run on my current PC (drivers out of date). Want to overclock as its fun! And I like things to be cool and efficient.

Heres what I have so far:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,165.08 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Few things:

1. Whats the best bang for buck mobo or the current go-to mobo at the moment? Is it the MSI Tomohawk or are there problems with it with new Ryzen CPUs?

2. Is it worth going for 3600mhz memory over 3200mhz?

3. Any suggestions for improvement?

Budget is around £1000 - I say around because really there is no budget, but things have to be reasonable, cant buy £2000+ worth of PC stuff to then just use it to browse reddit and word processing! Cheaper the better whilst maximising performance! I will likely keep the PC for many many years if my current one is anything to go by....

Thanks in advance!

That cooler is a bit overkill for a 3600X (Go with the R5 3600 anyway). A cheap air cooler would be fine i.e Arctic Freezer 34 esports.

The Tomahawk MAX board should work out of the box AFAIK.

I would stick with 3000 - 3200 ram. The Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (AES in the part number) overclocks pretty well but not sold on here. In any case no need to overpay for 3600 ram.

The Seagate Barracuda SATA SSD is better value as you are getting double the capacity for an extra £10. The Intel 660p is also fairly decent for the same price.

I would go with the EVGA P2 650W over the Seasonic Focus. The Super Flower Leadex III 650W is also fine for a bit less money.

You could probably fit a Vega 56 into the £1000 budget with the money saved on the board/cooler/ram.

Man of Honour
That GB card is looking a really good buy for £450. Tempted myself.
it's a terrible buy, considering it's a £70 premium over the base 5700xt
nearly zero performance gain - so take this out of the equation
cooler and quieter, with an extra year's warranty...worth £70 (nearly an extra 20% on top of base price)? i think not.

Man of Honour
Associate
I would suggest going with the 3600 and saving the difference. Also you could go with a good b450 and the money saved, invested on a faster GPU.
You won't notice difference from the 3600 to the X version. Even less using a solid B450 motherboard, but surely will notice the saved money spent on GPU.

Associate
OP
I see all of you recommending I get a 3600 instead of the 3600X version.

Can you still overclock a 3600?

EDIT - apologies, answered my own dumb question with a quick google search. Seems only difference between the two cpus is the x has 200mhz more at stock and 95W vs 65W TDP again at stock. Quite negligible difference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom