New Samsung 860 EVO not showing in BIOS

Associate
Hi all,

Received a new build from OC a couple months back with a Samsung 970 NVMe which I swapped out for a 500GB 980 NVMe, also has a 6TB WD Black HDD. It's a Gigabyte X570 system on an 850W PSU with an RTX 3080 and a Ryzen 9 5950x.

My issue being I tried adding in a 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD and it's not showing up in Windows or the BIOS.

My first thought was the system running out of resources to register another SSD, however I thought it was unlikely. My second was thinking the system didn't have enough power to run the extra device, but after checking a wattage calculator, it seemed well within reasonable operating range.

Can anyone advise? Thank you!

Soldato
Try swapping SATA cable.
After that you could try other power cable.

(and in Windows use Device Manager or Disk Management to check what drives are recognized)

Associate
Ensure it’s plugged in to power and data.

Double check the manual to make sure the sata port on the motherboard isn’t disabled when certain M.2 slots are populated.

Had this happen to me. Quite often, certain SATA ports are disabled if the M.2 slots are being used. Thought I had bad hardware/PSU issues only to realise that I'd plugged it into a port that gets disabled when you use all the M.2 slots...Lesson learned, RTFM before assuming the worst!

Associate
OP
Just to update, double checked the manual, SATA connections, replaced cables and looked over the settings in the BIOS, everything seems to be in order but it just won't detect the new SSD or my older one from my last rig. Under the SATA ports it lists the NVMe in M2A and the WDB in SATA 3, but 0-2 and 4-5 are just reading as [Not Installed].

Associate
Just to update, double checked the manual, SATA connections, replaced cables and looked over the settings in the BIOS, everything seems to be in order but it just won't detect the new SSD or my older one from my last rig. Under the SATA ports it lists the NVMe in M2A and the WDB in SATA 3, but 0-2 and 4-5 are just reading as [Not Installed].
How about Disk Management though? [Windows Key + X], Disk Management. It should show up as a big black line if it's plugged in correctly. Initialize the disk as GPT.

Associate
OP
How about Disk Management though? [Windows Key + X], Disk Management. It should show up as a big black line if it's plugged in correctly. Initialize the disk as GPT.

Yeah still nothing, funny thing is I helped out a friend of mine with a HDD not showing up the other day, his issue being it simply wasn't initialized, but it only cemented the confusion over why my third drive is failing to show altogether. I'm tempted to just look into a 2TB NVMe and eliminate the need for a third drive altogether at this point, save the trouble.

Soldato
Which motherboard do you have? Also which SATA port are you plugging the drive into? Say your motherboard has six SATA ports and the drive is plugged into the first port (ie: SATA-0), then try the last port (ie: SATA-5).

Associate
OP
Which motherboard do you have? Also which SATA port are you plugging the drive into? Say your motherboard has six SATA ports and the drive is plugged into the first port (ie: SATA-0), then try the last port (ie: SATA-5).
It's a Gigabyte X570 Gaming X (AM4), the board has six ports with the HDD and SSD connected to SATA 4-5 respectively, and just the one NVMe connected to the M2A slot.

Associate
OP
Hi all, mystery solved.

After researching the board and jumping through the many hoops of Google, found that none of the SATA ports get disabled with M.2 drives installed. So after trying each SATA port, still nothing. After swapping the SSD with an old one, nothing. So I flashed the BIOS to the latest version, redid all the wiring, and decided to connect BOTH SSDs at the same time, and of course the old one now shows up in BIOS and Windows.

Conclusion, received a faulty retail SSD. Thanks for all your help, hope the advice from you all can help others troubleshoot!

Back
Top Bottom