** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
Hey guys, just got a G7 32" today as my CX was killing my eyes and giving me headaches! Running this on a 3080 via DP cable, can someone recommend some good settings for this? I've got VRR enabled, all of the local dimming and dynamic contrast off, what do people use for picture mode settings? Many thanks :)

My settings are at the top of the previous page and work well for me, I prefer HDR off in Windows as prefer the colours etc with it off

Last edited:
Soldato
Also just to say the first one of these I got from amazon had horrendous scanlines, this one is perfect. It also had a huge piece of dust under the screen. I'm 99% sure the sold me a refurb!

Associate
So is anyone - who already own a G9 - thinking about upgrading to the Neo G9 - I am not sure the new screen is enough to justify the change personally as pretty much everything else is the same.

Caporegime
So is anyone - who already own a G9 - thinking about upgrading to the Neo G9 - I am not sure the new screen is enough to justify the change personally as pretty much everything else is the same.

Nah doesn't seem worth it, just depends how much you like your retinas burned out I suppose! The standard G9 is damn bright as it is :eek:

Associate

Not me. The Neo is nice but just the same screen with a different back light basically. I agree the current G9 is bright enough and i don't see HDR implemented well at the software level at all yet and definitely not widespread in the games I tend to play etc. The new connectivity ports are welcomed on the Neo and hopefully the higher bandwidth solves the scan lines issue.

Be interesting what reviews say, and what people on here say about any issues etc. It took me a lot of attempts to get a G9 without dead pixels this time last year. Not sure I am ready to play the panel lottery again so soon and probably go 4-5 years between screen upgrades.

It will be nice when the future GPUs come out and can run this thing at a constant 240Hz! That's probably 3 years away?

Associate
I'm using 2x DP for the PBP function and my graphics card (6800 XT) is able to downclock the memory in idle. The G9 Neo only has 1x DP and my graphics card only has 1x HDMI, so I would have to mix inputs, 1x DP and 1x HDMI. Not sure if the memory clock would still be low in idle then.

Anyhow the next monitor I'm buying will have to have DP 2.0. Even HDMI 2.1 doesn't have enough bandwidth to run the G9 Neo at full without using DSC.
If I can avoid it I'm never buying a monitor again which needs DSC to get to its full potential.
DP 2.0 has 80 Gbit/s bandwith without DSC and 5120x1440 10-bit 240 Hz RGB needs 60.62 Gbit/s, so it will be enough.

Associate
I'm using 2x DP for the PBP function and my graphics card (6800 XT) is able to downclock the memory in idle. The G9 Neo only has 1x DP and my graphics card only has 1x HDMI, so I would have to mix inputs, 1x DP and 1x HDMI. Not sure if the memory clock would still be low in idle then.

Anyhow the next monitor I'm buying will have to have DP 2.0. Even HDMI 2.1 doesn't have enough bandwidth to run the G9 Neo at full without using DSC.
If I can avoid it I'm never buying a monitor again which needs DSC to get to its full potential.
DP 2.0 has 80 Gbit/s bandwith without DSC and 5120x1440 10-bit 240 Hz RGB needs 60.62 Gbit/s, so it will be enough.

This is a good point, I noticed the Neo still uses DP 1.4 and I don't really care about HDMI on a PC monitor. Do you think they will release another G9 in 12-24 months with DP 2.0? nVidia 4000 series could be DP 2.0 as well I guess so could be a good combo purchase in 2022.

Associate
Just got a G95T, but i cant get the 1012 update file to load, it craps out at @16%, does anyone have a copy they can send me incase I've got a dodgy download ???

Nevermind, different USB Device sorted it.

Last edited:
Associate
Is there a definitive fix for the G9 LC49G95TSSUXEN HDR flicker?
I've found one cheap second hand, but the seller has told me it has flicker at the bottom in one of the HDR zones?
The monitor is around 9 months old, meaning it was bought Dec 2020.

Associate
Flicker of the screen during games should be fixed via the firmware and switching on VRR control.

Random flicker of a dimming zone on the desktop etc sounds like its faulty? Not sure though, so many bugs and issues with the G9 and the Neo its hard to tell whats fixable via firmware, whats a design flaw and whats an actual issue not seen on other units.

Associate
Flicker of the screen during games should be fixed via the firmware and switching on VRR control.

Random flicker of a dimming zone on the desktop etc sounds like its faulty? Not sure though, so many bugs and issues with the G9 and the Neo its hard to tell whats fixable via firmware, whats a design flaw and whats an actual issue not seen on other units.

Thanks. I bought it anyway. Paid £550. Its still got plenty of warranty left and I double checked with Samsung - warranty stays with the product, not the person who bought it.

I cant even see the dimming zone issue the seller mentioned, but I have updated the firmware. Maybe that fixed it.

Back
Top Bottom