New Samsung S23A700D 120Hz

Associate
Disregarding the actual screen for a moment, it looks a lot better & more rigid than the 750 & 950 (If, like me you prefer a 'normal' looking screen)

The screen is very thin, depth wise. Not as thin as the 750 or 950 though as it needs to accomodate the bog standard monitor stand -> although this does not bother me, the stand is clearly more rigid than the 750 which looks like it would fall over if you clobbered your desk or something.

One disadvantage is that you have an external power supply (brick) that you need to sit somewhere out of the way if you like clean wiring on you desk. However, this keeps the screen quite cool in comparison to my old one which used to get quite hot at the back.

The actual picture quality seems a lot clearer than my old t200 & the colour settings seem more vibrant, with plenty of settings to customise for your needs. The screen is one of those with the glossy finish, which you may or may not like. Personally prefer it, just makes everything look....better somehow.

The fact that it's also 1080 120hz monitor is the main reason I went for it though, first time using a 120hz screen so everything feels strangely smoother than my old 60hz.

The 3d is great, the fact that you can upgrade alomost any game into 3d brings new life to some older games.

I also find the 2d->3d conversion pretty good as well. Basically allows you to take a 2d image and 'upscale' it (using the monitor settings) to 3d. Doesn't look as good, but on par with most 3d movies you see at the cinema. You can do this with youtube videos as well (Although not noticeable unless the video is 1080p)

I belive the monitor has an onboard processor that allows it to do this, add that to the fact it only uses 4w more electric than my old 60hz 1680x1050 monitor and it was a no brainer.

The end result with this screen is pretty obvious, it is just a 23 inch version of the 950 & 750 with a non funky design, which makes it better in my opinion. So for those looking for more detailed info on the actual screen, you could look into reviews for the 950 & 750.

if it only came in the 27"version :(

Soldato
For "samsung", you speak about S23A700D or generally ?
How do you set your S23A700D ? :

Preset mode
RGB
Contrast
brightness
Color temp
ecc......
???

I haven't used an S23A700D but I know it uses the same panel as the S23A750D which I am more familiar with. Responsiveness is very similar on all of Samsung's SA700, SA750 and SA950 series monitors - that is to say very good. I would recommend leaving the contrast alone, setting MagicAngle to 'Group View' (which is better than selecting any of the 3 gamma modes) and setting brightness as you please. I believe some people have done exactly this on the S23A700D with good results but I haven't seen this in person. ;)

Associate
I couldn't wait for the Benq XL2420T review but decided to buy the Samsung S23A700D based upon reviews and forums posts. It's making it's way to UK shores as we speak :) All I have to hope now is that it's defect free and when the Benq review finally appears it doesn't show any reasons to have bought it over the 700D. The glossy screen of the 700D isn't an issue to me but it would have been nice to have USB ports on the side and fully adjustable stand. Still 2D to 3D conversion might be useful! When it arrives I'll repost my thoughts on it (no expert) and see if it has met my expectations.

Associate
I haven't used an S23A700D but I know it uses the same panel as the S23A750D which I am more familiar with. Responsiveness is very similar on all of Samsung's SA700, SA750 and SA950 series monitors - that is to say very good. I would recommend leaving the contrast alone, setting MagicAngle to 'Group View' (which is better than selecting any of the 3 gamma modes) and setting brightness as you please. I believe some people have done exactly this on the S23A700D with good results but I haven't seen this in person. ;)

Ah ok !
First at all......thank you for answers and happy new year ( 2012 ).

Last question .... SA700D what is the difference against SA750D and SA950D ?
Why SA700D is extremelly cheaper ?

Soldato
Happy new year!

The SA700Ds lower price is largely down to the design of the monitor. The panel itself is the same as that used in the S23A750D but the electronics are contained behind the screen rather than in the base. The monitor also uses a more simple plastic housing and doesn't include metallic elements which are generally more expensive and can demand a price premium simply for being 'different'. The S23A700D also doesn't include a DisplayPort output which is another way to cut cost as it is generally the most expensive port solution to implement - but the DVI Dual Link will do everything you need and there is HDMI for connection of AV devices.

Associate
Happy new year!

The SA700Ds lower price is largely down to the design of the monitor. The panel itself is the same as that used in the S23A750D but the electronics are contained behind the screen rather than in the base. The monitor also uses a more simple plastic housing and doesn't include metallic elements which are generally more expensive and can demand a price premium simply for being 'different'. The S23A700D also doesn't include a DisplayPort output which is another way to cut cost as it is generally the most expensive port solution to implement - but the DVI Dual Link will do everything you need and there is HDMI for connection of AV devices.

S23A750D have double price of SA700D, it's cheaper because have a normal design, not DP and plastic ? :confused:

Soldato
And recently you could get the S23A750D in America for $300. So what? Special offers come and go. That sounds like a very special offer - and if it's from a reputable place (and isn't some dodgy warrantyless import or refurb) then that's a good one to go for while it lasts. ;)

Soldato
i don't think it is a special offer thats what they going for in Germany , in very popular jungle rainforest website and others. and not like if you buy it from usa you have to pay import tax.

Soldato
i don't think it is a special offer thats what they going for in Germany , in very popular jungle rainforest website and others. and not like if you buy it from usa you have to pay import tax.

I was talking about typical retail prices in the UK, which I made explicit note of. I am aware you can buy it for that price in/from Germany but it bears no relevance to the differences between the products or the UK pricing - both of which have been addressed.

Associate
Double the price in what country?! In the UK the S23A700D retails for around £300 typically and the S23A750D around £380.
300£ ?

In Italy the Samsung S23A700D is around 239-251€ ( very very cheap like a toy )
S23A750D is minimum 399€, but typically around 420-430€
S23A950D is not marketed.

Last edited:
Caporegime
300£ ?

In Italy the Samsung S23A700D is around 239-251€ ( very very cheap like a toy )
S23A750D is minimum 399€, but typically around 420-430€
S23A950D is not marketed.

He said in the UK.

Quoting prices from Italy, Germany or from anywhere else is irrelevant.

Soldato
120Hz is available whit DVI or HDMI ?

the DVI Dual Link will do everything you need and there is HDMI for connection of AV devices.

So connected to a Dual-Link capable DVI port (most modern GPUs will have at least one of these) you can get the full 120Hz refresh rate over DVI. HDMI is limited to 60Hz at 1920 x 1080 due to current GPU port controller bandwidth limitations. There is a slim possibility that the Radeon 7xxx cards will support 120Hz at 1920 x 1080 over HDMI but that remains to be seen.

Associate
I have this monitor and i must say i am very happy with it :D . To get 120Hz you need to use the dual-link DVI cable. I took PCM2's advice and set magic angle to "group view" and this is a very good setting.

Im yet to find any problems with the monitor. I haven't yet tried 3D loving 120Hz 2D too much at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom