• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New Sapphire Pulse 6800 Faulty?

Associate
So I purchased the Sapphire Pulse 6800 from OC. Arrived liked this, what a flimsy box though...

The problems I'm facing is stuttering constantly in games and random weird freeze, GPU fan/power usage. I play games at 1440p max on quality. By the way this is a clean installation of Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit using latest AMD Chipset and Graphic drivers. I've tried AMD High Performance and Balanced Modes. I always game wired. 80Mbps D/20Mbps U.

PC Specs
AMD 3600 XT
AMD Wraith Prism
ASUS B450-F Gaming II
1TB NVMe WD SN550
16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200MHz DDR4
Corsair TX650M 650W Semi-Modular 80+ Gold PSU
Sapphire Pulse 6800

Destiny 2
I had the game running where the fans don't spin at times which caused the game to crash and freeze, also weird power usage of GPU. I couldn't even use mouse/keyboard had to do a forced shutdown when crash happened. I'll get weird dips in frame rates below 60. The fans are weird, will randomly rev up like an engine during gaming. I get menu/UI lag. Here is a video of the GPU fan at 0RPM and there are micro stutter not sure if you can see during Destiny 2 gameplay;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bMU8iPvzOn6NuvMlz3MnbpD-tUojuhyh/view?usp=sharing

Apex Legends
Again some weird stuttering and lag when selecting different modes and searching for matchmaking. During gaming it will be fine but then suddenly dramatic frame dips and stutter.

Radoen Chill, Boost, FreeSync etc are disabled. Graphics Profile is I've tried Gaming and eSports, doesn't make a difference. I've tried HDMI port and all the DP port and still the same problems occur.

I've even rebooted to safe mode. Uninstalled all AMD drivers using DDU and shutdown. Connected 3060 Ti. Installed latest nvidia drivers. No problem gaming in Destiny 2, Apex Legends etc. None of the menu lag or anything like that. I done two clean installation of Windows 10 using AMD GPU plugged in and updated to latest drivers from AMD. I've even tried the latest optional drivers which doesn't even help.

So I have no idea what is going. To me it looks like this Sapphire 6800 is faulty.

Any help? I would appreciate :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Install MSI Afterburner and monitor the clockspeed /gpu usage, etc.

Also run Heaven benchmark : 1080P Extreme for a while and see what the temps level out at and check if you get stutter in that.

edit: since you are using 1x pci-e split into two it means you are starving the gpu of power. A single pci-e cable from the psu delivers 150W and the pci-e slot gives 75W.
The 6800 can take up to 250W depending on load.

You can use GPU-z to monitor gpu core power usage to get an idea of how much power it is pulling.Add around 50-80W on top of that value to get the total power the card may be using.

Last edited:
Associate
Install MSI Afterburner and monitor the clockspeed /gpu usage, etc.

Also run Heaven benchmark : 1080P Extreme for a while and see what the temps level out at and check if you get stutter in that.

Don't think its any thing to do with temps Gpu isn't getting enough power with only one pcie power cable plugged in

Associate
OP
No No No swap to 2 cables
thats your problem right there

So I plugged 2 PCIe cables to PSU and then each one in to GPU. Each cable had a spare 8-pin cable hanging out if that make sense.
Booted up D2. Still getting menu/UI lag, stuttering. Frame dips.

I'll get video uploaded. This AMD card is giving me headache.

Soldato
Don't think its any thing to do with temps Gpu isn't getting enough power with only one pcie power cable plugged in

Yes you are correct. I saw his post after I posted mine so edited it. I'd be interested to see the gpu-z waveform showing how much power it's pulling.

Back
Top Bottom