New Sony 55 & 65 AF9 OLED is it worth waiting for ?

Soldato
AF9 review..;)

I noticed the new sony AF9 OLED are meant to be getting released in about 1 month time..

Do guys reckon it worth waiting for reviews of this new OLED before buying any other OLED ?

There already listed for Pre-order on john lewis (Expected delivery within 4 weeks - pre-order now)
https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-brav...youview-acoustic-surface-audio-black/p3731591
https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-brav...youview-acoustic-surface-audio-black/p3731775

Looks like the prices are going be very high when it first released but am guessing (or is that am hoping :p) they will drop fast..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sony video of there new AF9 OLED

This video below is not English but you can really see how much brighter this new AF9 OLED looks compared to the older A1 OLED

Last edited:
Associate
You'll be waiting a year before AF9 prices match current OLED pricing, by which point another model will be announced/released..

End of the day each OLED does something marginally better then the others. Is it worth waiting for one to drop to your budget? Nah. Silly online tests and forum reviews removed, most people couldn't tell the difference between any recent OLED in a double blind test.

Soldato
OP
You'll be waiting a year before AF9 prices match current OLED pricing, by which point another model will be announced/released..

End of the day each OLED does something marginally better then the others. Is it worth waiting for one to drop to your budget? Nah. Silly online tests and forum reviews removed, most people couldn't tell the difference between any recent OLED in a double blind test.
I got very bad habit off buying stuff a few weeks before the new version comes out and then I end up really regretting it.....

Soldato
OP
Answered your own question then. It'll be a nice upgrade to your current set.
I wait and see what happens with the prices

As am in no rush as even just last night when I was watching the movie "The competition" on skyHD I was thinking wow the picture quality on my pioneer plasma is still amazing...

Soldato
OP
Buying a TV this year, especially an OLED seems silly, HDMI 2.1 is worth waiting for.
Am sure that was one the main reasons why I didn't buy an OLED last year as everyone was saying wait for the 2018 models as they will have version 2.1 HDMI…..:p

And it now looking like this new sony AF9 doesn't even have version 2.1 HDMI

Last edited:
Soldato
Buying a TV this year, especially an OLED seems silly, HDMI 2.1 is worth waiting for.

Depends what you are going to use it for as doubt the panel will be 8k and even if it is there won't be absolutely any content. Gaming will be nice at 120hz as will the dynamic hdr, but i doubt any of the main streamers will support that for a while and seems a lot of people tend to be streaming 4k movies rather than using stand alone players.

Soldato
Depends what you are going to use it for as doubt the panel will be 8k and even if it is there won't be absolutely any content. Gaming will be nice at 120hz as will the dynamic hdr, but i doubt any of the main streamers will support that for a while and seems a lot of people tend to be streaming 4k movies rather than using stand alone players.
From what I have seen with reference to 8k the first gen will be obsolete the day it comes out because it won’t support HFR which makes it almost useless

Soldato
OP
It Don't matter when you buy a new TV as there will always be new must have thing on a new model out within 1 or 2 years.i bet one the next things people will be saying to wait for after 2.1 HDMI will be 8k.

After owning my pioneer plasma for 11 years and watching all the new TV's that have been released through them years I been seeing all them must have changes ..

Last edited:
Soldato
I noticed the new sony AF9 OLED are meant to be getting released in about 1 month time..

Do guys reckon it worth waiting for reviews of this new OLED before buying any other OLED ?

There already listed for Pre-order on john lewis (Expected delivery within 4 weeks - pre-order now)
https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-brav...youview-acoustic-surface-audio-black/p3731591
https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-brav...youview-acoustic-surface-audio-black/p3731775

Looks like the prices are going be very high when it first released but am guessing (or is that am hoping :p) they will drop fast..

The only two reasons I would change my A1 for this is for a much faster CPU and if the panel fixes the grey colour performance/banding. I just watched Solo 4k in DV on my A1 and it was a horror show.

Caporegime
It'll be the best OLED TV...

...For about 6 months until next years sets are even better.

Yep, when I bought my B7 I thought I'd kick myself if this years models had HDMI 2.1, if you look into everything promised down the line for OLED, you'd end up never buying.

It's like the thing with HDR brightness (nits), with people saying the OLEDs aren't bright enough to properly display HDR content. I haven't had a single issue with it yet, and some scenes almost seem too bright at times, I'd need sunglasses for this new Sony :p (before anyone jumps on me I know that's not how it technically works and this Sony will, in fact, improve some HDR viewing.)

Caporegime
For 4K gaming you're probably best off waiting for HDMI 2.1.

The reason being 4K+HDR+60fps gets downgraded from RGB 4:4:4 to YCbCr 4:2:2 to be able to work over HDMI 2.0. The difference is probably barely perceptable visually but as it's a big long term investment you'll probably regret it.

Soldato
OP
For 4K gaming you're probably best off waiting for HDMI 2.1.
I know what you mean but I already waited over a year..

Everyone last year was saying wait for the 2018 OLED's as they will have version 2.1 HDMI inputs and of cause no 2018 OLED's did have 2.1 inputs
and now there rumours that TV's will not get 2.1 inputs till at lest the middle of 2019 or even 2020 :(:mad:
plus the pana & sony OLED's only had 2 full HDMI inputs out the 4 HDMI inputs

Back
Top Bottom