New Sony or New Panasonic?...

Associate
Hello, I’m looking at a new tv, budget up to about 3k (although less is best!). Its going to be put on an AV cabinet as opposed to wall mounted. Any ideas?

Due to space, a 55in will be the max I would look at. So far im looking at the Sony AF8 or Panasonic TX-55FZ802B. Any views on these, or other ideas? I did look at the AF9 but I don’t like (admittedly not seen yet in a display at a shop) a leaning back tv.

I like the Sony, but one thing the Panasonic does seem to offer is a higher stand. I have a centre speaker that lives on top of the AV unit in front of the current tv, and I don’t want a tv that sits lower than the one I have. Does anyone know if you can buy after market stands that fit either the sony or panny and do the same thing as the manufacturer ones, just with a bit more height? Or, if I overcome my dislike of the AF9, could a centre speaker fit between the A-frame of the tv without distorting the sound from either the speaker or the tv panel?

I’m mainly watching UHD from a Sony UHD player, or Netflix (HD at moment, will upgrade when I get a better tv) and Now TV from a Now TV streaming box. Not interested in sports.

Associate
OP
Even better save mega pennies and find an LG 55bv7

NOWTV can be done on the tv these days as an app
Hi, thx, ill look at the LG as well
RE Now TV,i loaded it on my parents Panasonic smart tv. I have the entertainment package and films, yet when i used the app, only the films appeared, not the tv shows in the entertainment package. so i m a bit wary of relying on the tv app now!

Soldato
I have the 65AF9 and I don’t like the lean either although you do get used to it, i have a tabletop stand coming at the weekend which will get rid of the tilt.
I would discount the B7 because it’s a 2017 panel which is nowhere near as uniform and the 2018 panels and it has the older chipset with motion which is nowhere near as good as the Panasonic or Sony, the Panasonic does have the most accurate picture and colour reproduction but does suffer from motion judder and once you see it you can’t unsee it, the Sony has the best motion on the market and is the class leader for scaling and picture processing(the picture on mine is unbelievable) you can also use the Sony TV as a center speaker and the its does an excellent job of it as well.

I would say the Sony having owed all three but it’s your money and only you can make the decision.

Associate
OP
I have the 65AF9 and I don’t like the lean either although you do get used to it, i have a tabletop stand coming at the weekend which will get rid of the tilt.
Hi @woppy101 , which make of stand are you getting please? Will you still get sound out of the TV or will you have had to remove the speaker panel? it sounds ideal, pair the AF9 to that and i can put something underneath it if i need the TV raised

Everyone else, thanks for your input! ill look at the LG anyway, but im leaning to the sony or panny; parents tv isnt the model im looking at, its a year or so older so imagine the apps i can get now are slicker and better than back then

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi @woppy101 , which make of stand are you getting please? Will you still get sound out of the TV or will you have had to remove the speaker panel? it sounds ideal, pair the AF9 to that and i can put something underneath it if i need the TV raised

Everyone else, thanks for your input! ill look at the LG anyway, but im leaning to the sony or panny; parents tv isnt the model im looking at, its a year or so older so imagine the apps i can get now are slicker and better than back then
This one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DQ623W8/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
No the speaker panel stays attached because that’s where all the components are it just folds flat against the back of the tv

Associate
OP
I would discount the B7 because it’s a 2017 panel which is nowhere near as uniform and the 2018 panels and it has the older chipset with motion which is nowhere near as good as the Panasonic or Sony, the Panasonic does have the most accurate picture and colour reproduction but does suffer from motion judder and once you see it you can’t unsee it, the Sony has the best motion on the market and is the class leader for scaling and picture processing(the picture on mine is unbelievable) you can also use the Sony TV as a center speaker and the its does an excellent job of it as well.

I would say the Sony having owed all three but it’s your money and only you can make the decision.
Hi @woppy101 , im pretty much set on the 55AF9 now, just waiting for some sales prices, combined with a couple more paydays and a welcome but unexpected tax rebate! Did your tv stand turn up and does it work ok? I tried looking at an online sony manual, and whilst i grant i probably misread the diagrams, it looked like there was only 1 place to fix the tv to the vertical supports on the mount, whereas standard is fixing to 2 vertical mounts? Also, now its all together, is there much clearance between the bottom of the tv and the bottom of the stand, eg enough to fiti a centre speaker just under the height of an average smart phone without obscuring too much of the screen?

Soldato
Hi @woppy101 , im pretty much set on the 55AF9 now, just waiting for some sales prices, combined with a couple more paydays and a welcome but unexpected tax rebate! Did your tv stand turn up and does it work ok? I tried looking at an online sony manual, and whilst i grant i probably misread the diagrams, it looked like there was only 1 place to fix the tv to the vertical supports on the mount, whereas standard is fixing to 2 vertical mounts? Also, now its all together, is there much clearance between the bottom of the tv and the bottom of the stand, eg enough to fiti a centre speaker just under the height of an average smart phone without obscuring too much of the screen?
Yeah the stand is great and it is adjustable so you can choose your own clearance

Soldato
Or, if I overcome my dislike of the AF9,
This AF9 review here may help..:D

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/sony...af9-kd-65af9-review-one-oled-to-rule-them-all
Sony Bravia AF9: Verdict
The Sony AF9 is a very worthwhile upgrade over the AF8. Offering four full-bandwidth HDMI 2.0b ports, lower input lag, a more responsive Android TV interface and some dramatic picture quality improvements,
the AF9 shows just how far OLED technology has come. It's by no means cheap, but if you're looking for the best TV you can buy in 2018, the AF9 might just be it.

Associate
OP
it does! My main gripe from the initial reviews were i didnt want a tilt back tv and i didnt one that appeared to sit flush on a surface (ie my tv cabinet), as i have a centre speaker on my surround sound that sits in front of the telly. My current tv is on the stand that came in the box and elevates it enough to clear most of the speaker. Most of that was leading me to the AF8
However, from reviews and other kind posters, ive now realised i can have the tv upright and via a 3p stand have it raised enough to keep my speaker where it is (its part of a matched set, so although i also found out i can use the tv as a centre speaker, id rather keep the current speaker).
Just waiting to build up some cash now, and that 55AF9 is all mine!!!!

Soldato
it does! My main gripe from the initial reviews were i didnt want a tilt back tv and i didnt one that appeared to sit flush on a surface (ie my tv cabinet), as i have a centre speaker on my surround sound that sits in front of the telly. My current tv is on the stand that came in the box and elevates it enough to clear most of the speaker. Most of that was leading me to the AF8
However, from reviews and other kind posters, ive now realised i can have the tv upright and via a 3p stand have it raised enough to keep my speaker where it is (its part of a matched set, so although i also found out i can use the tv as a centre speaker, id rather keep the current speaker).
Just waiting to build up some cash now, and that 55AF9 is all mine!!!!
I myself have the 65AF9 (But I have it Wall mounted)

Am using my AF9 as the centre speaker
(My Home Theatre speakers are 11years old KEF 5005.2 these https://www.techradar.com/reviews/a...fi-and-av-speakers/kef-kht5005-2-97955/review)

Associate
OP
I myself have the 65AF9 (But I have it Wall mounted)

Am using my AF9 as the centre speaker
(My Home Theatre speakers are 11years old KEF 5005.2 these https://www.techradar.com/reviews/a...fi-and-av-speakers/kef-kht5005-2-97955/review)
Thats the set i have! Ive got the silver version, but they are still cracking speakers.
Did you have to play much with the tv? I heard stories about having to delve through multiple menus to turn on the 4k or whatever, to tell the tv what source its getting. Any problems like that, and do you use any picture presets or did you fiddle with colour, balance etc on your own?

Soldato
Thats the set i have! Ive got the silver version, but they are still cracking speakers.
Yes there great speakers but I still kick myself everyday because when I bought mine the kef T301 speakers have just come out and wish I of bought them instead...:(
Did you have to play much with the tv? I heard stories about having to delve through multiple menus to turn on the 4k or whatever, to tell the tv what source its getting.
You just need to change the HDMI setting from Standard to advanced for 4K (it nothing hard to do and you only need to do it once ;))
I need to have a look for how you choose different input sources as i normally always use my harmony elite remote which turns on everything and changes to the correct input source by pressing a single item on the touch screen..

But I do hate that the sony remote TV buttons are not back lit..
and do you use any picture presets or did you fiddle with colour, balance etc on your own?
I mainly just left all the colour settings and other picture settings at there default setting , but I have turning down the brightness setting..
The Netflix setting I also leave at it default setting

But about 90% of my viewing is done in a dark room..;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom