New speeding fines

Soldato
As far as I could see from reading it there's noting in there concrete about the severity of the fine itself, but only guidance about the accompanying punitive measures, e.g. number of points and minimum length of disqualification.

I read this more as a clarification of things rather than anything else.

Soldato
OP
Starting point Range

Fine Band A

50% of relevant weekly income
Range: 25 – 75% of relevant weekly income

Fine Band B
100% of relevant weekly income
Range: 75 – 125% of relevant weekly income

Fine Band C
150% of relevant weekly income
Range: 125 – 175% of relevant weekly income

Fine Band D
250% of relevant weekly income
Range: 200 – 300% of relevant weekly income

Fine Band E
400% of relevant weekly income
Range: 300 – 500% of relevant weekly income

Fine Band F
600% of relevant weekly income
Range: 500 – 700% of relevant weekly income

Fairly sure these fines are higher? Not sure how you land in band D, E or F though.

Caporegime
This seems a weird move, as this is going to be so varied depending on how much you earn! Might slow a few professional footballers down though

what were the fines before?

is it income before or after taxes? if before then it will hurt people quite a lot. is it fair? IMO no.

as it's much more likely a 17 year old speeding will earn a lot less than say a 35 year old speeding. arguably the 17 year old is of a higher risk (less experienced driver) and will be driving a rattly 108/corsa compared to say the 35 year old in a saloon that is capable of handling speed a lot better on motorways.

it's basically another form of taxation now.

Soldato
what were the fines before?

is it income before or after taxes? if before then it will hurt people quite a lot. is it fair? IMO no.

as it's much more likely a 17 year old speeding will earn a lot less than say a 35 year old speeding. arguably the 17 year old is of a higher risk (less experienced driver) and will be driving a rattly 108/corsa compared to say the 35 year old in a saloon that is capable of handling speed a lot better on motorways.

it's basically another form of taxation now.

Weren't the fines fixed before? £60 or £100 + points on your licence.

Other countries have done the speeding fine = x amount of your salary for years and it works well for them. Sweden iirc gave out the largest speeding ticket ever due to how much money the guy was making.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Reading that, to me, it looks like this is what would be applied if taken to court, rather than fixed penalty notices, as it makes a couple of references to court and plea.

Caporegime
so does this mean someone on the dole is going to get a fine of nothing?

surely a week and a half's dole money? however you would hope they then look into how someone on the dole is running about in a car with the cost of fuel, insurance, tyres, repairs, etc in this country. it's just not possible on £80 a week.

Soldato
you do know what the word limit means?
I understood there was a buffer to account for reasonable variances between speed recording equipment and your vehicle's measuring, though.

it's enforced at the officer's discretion. so you could get 1 that enforces a 31 in a 30
Ah, but I have it on very reliable and almost utterly infallible information that you will NEVER get flashed for doing 33 in a 30.... The thread is around here somewhere. I'm sure it's admissible in court and everything...!! :D

your at the mercy of the person on the day.
So here we go again, yes? The Road Laws... they're more like guidelines, anyway!!

Soldato
Other considered factors, were these never taken into consideration before ?

Factors increasing seriousness

Statutory aggravating factors:

• Previous convictions, having regard to a) the nature of the offence to which the conviction relates and its relevance to the current offence; and b) the time that has elapsed since the conviction
  • Offence committed whilst on bail
Other aggravating factors:

• Offence committed on licence or post sentence supervision
  • Poor road or weather conditions
  • Driving LGV, HGV, PSV etc.
  • Towing caravan/trailer
  • Carrying passengers or heavy load
  • Driving for hire or reward
  • Evidence of unacceptable standard of driving over and above speed
  • Location e.g. near school
  • High level of traffic or pedestrians in the vicinity
Factors reducing seriousness or reflecting personal mitigation

• No previous convictions or no relevant/recent convictions
  • Good character and/or exemplary conduct
  • Genuine emergency established

Soldato
Any details on how the weekly income is calculated yet? My wages change on a month to month basis, depending on how much overtime, shifts, and callout I do etc.

Soldato
Reading that, to me, it looks like this is what would be applied if taken to court, rather than fixed penalty notices, as it makes a couple of references to court and plea.

That's how I've read it as well. It would be crazy to start asking people how much they earn as part of the NIP process.

Soldato
There should just be a standard minimum amount, and then increase it by x% for every 10k over 25k for example.

That way even the poor won't get away with paying a pittance for a fine, but a speeding fine of say 50k for the super rich might make them think twice about speeding.

Back
Top Bottom