New stamp duty rules

Soldato
Shock as "Autumn Statement" months before a general election tries to appeal to the masses. The Stamp Duty changes are good but should have, and could have, been done ages ago.

Still it appears that whilst this may get some Conservative votes there are still people deluded enough to vote UKIP in a General Election (and complain about Labour financial policy in the same breath)

Permabanned
Says the bloke who gets angry and upset in Football over a "Liverpool" win, poor hull. I win this one G|mp :)

No more replies from me as I'm not voting conservatives this year however much they try to sweeten the votes before an election.

Eh?

I rarely post in the SA. Where as I quite often see you whining about all sorts :)

Associate
Shock as "Autumn Statement" months before a general election tries to appeal to the masses. The Stamp Duty changes are good but should have, and could have, been done ages ago.

Still it appears that whilst this may get some Conservative votes there are still people deluded enough to vote UKIP in a General Election (and complain about Labour financial policy in the same breath)

Political opinions aside, the old system was utterly utterly stupid and it can only be a good thing that its been changed.

(NerveAgent, homeowner around the £250k mark, for today ;) )

Soldato
We're looking to sell and buy in the next few months, so it'll save us around £3,500. Also, I think it gives a bit of negotiating power back to the sellers as houses will be priced fairer as opposed to those having to lower their asking price due to unnecessary stamp duty penalties.

Finally, if I had a choice to make between an increase at the higher end of the stamp duty and a mansion tax, the stamp duty wins hands down :)

Sensible move by the government and well-times for me!

Soldato
We are in the process of buying just within the 5% tier, and it barely saves us anything worth shouting about to be honest. Pays for the mortgage fees but in the grand scheme of the amounts meh.

Don't think it matters anyway, if they abolished it the house prices will likely go up by what you would pay anyway, as anyone buying a house is looking at the total transaction cost anyway and not just the house price.

It saves you around 5 grand mate. That's pretty good

Caporegime

Why wouldn't it be? Complete shadow tax that quite literally shouldn't exist.

Introduced, what, 300 years ago to fund the war on France? Yet still lingers around like a turd that won't flush.

One of the biggest problems were the thresholds, and the way they were tiered, and that's thankfully being fixed but it doesn't escape from the fact that stamp duty is a joke.

Edit: Took me a little while to find an article I read a while ago, but here it is. Says it better than I ever could;

http://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/n...stealth-tax-of-all-stamp-duty/1029419.article

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom