New Star Trek series - 2017

Caporegime
I have to echo a lot of spore drive hate.
It's a cheap plot device that really was interesting for the first series but should have stayed broken.

It is so powerful its world breaking.

Interesting that this and the Orville both had a prime directive type episode.

It was by far the worst Orville episode yet, really cliché and awfully produced.

Soldato
I finally decided to binge through all of season 1 over the last few weeks, having previously ignored the show.

Wasn't expecting to like it but strangely loved season 1, no issue with it being character focused around Burnham rather than the ensemble (though Lorca totally carried the show)
sad to see him go
, but equally enjoying the more traditional setup of season 2.

Season 1 gave me a Mass Effect vibe with those blue uniforms - could have been a mass effect TV series on like the First Contact War, just in a star trek skin. Lorca came across as a renegade Shepard.

My biggest criticisms are:
- the conclusion of the klingon war after coming back from the alternate universe was lame and rushed. They could have fleshed that out with a few more episodes.

- the ending of the opening theme tune - after the "Discovery" title fades is really cringe worthy and unnecessary - I mute it every time. I actually like the opening of the theme tune, the intervals used and the kind of sonar "ping" ending on that high note (not so much the cliche string section...) and the schematic images. But then instead of standing on its own merit they have to go and shoe horn the "star trek" theme with a stupid ending note that comes across as a joke.
I mean look at DS9 or Voyager - two outstanding pieces of music that I never tire of hearing - they didn't need to shove the "star trek" theme at the end for no reason. Ah I could rant about this a lot but kind of disappointed with it.

- the entire show could be set after TNG in the future with some alterations and it would make more sense with things like the spore drive and not having it previously (just say like new advances from old 21st century research are now becoming a reality). But no, the whole universe has to stagnate in the same time period and revolve around the only two Vulcans in existence (if it was dealt after TNG they could have used a new character instead of "oh let's give Spock a sister...").
Having said that I think the casting for Pike is incredible - fantastic choice and I like how season 2 is going.

Last edited:
Associate
This past year I have been on a voyage to watch every star trek show and movie ever made, including the old animated series for fun using a website guide on the chronological order https://overmental.com/content/the-...er-for-the-star-trek-cinematic-universe-42395 so far i'm up-to season 5 episode 23 of voyager and season 7 episode 15 of deep space nine, this year of watching star trek so far has been the most fun I have ever had watching something, i'm not looking forward to the new star trek discovery tho but will still watch it as part of my adventure and hope it turns out better then it looks when I finally get to it.

Soldato
This past year I have been on a voyage to watch every star trek show and movie ever made, including the old animated series for fun using a website guide on the chronological order https://overmental.com/content/the-...er-for-the-star-trek-cinematic-universe-42395 so far i'm up-to season 5 episode 23 of voyager and season 7 episode 15 of deep space nine, this year of watching star trek so far has been the most fun I have ever had watching something, i'm not looking forward to the new star trek discovery tho but will still watch it as part of my adventure and hope it turns out better then it looks when I finally get to it.
Thats pretty hardcore chopping and changing through the series. I don't think i could be bothered TBH:D.

Soldato
I can't get into Discovery at all. I watched a few episodes over the course of the week just to give it a fair chance, but there's just something about it that I dislike. I can't quite put my finger on it though; too esoteric / philosophical perhaps...? I'll maybe give it another go later in the year.

Caporegime
3rd was tosh. Klingons are back although they are starting to weave in some "real" star trek into them :p ALmost got excited with the holographic projection and a long-haired cranial ridge Klingon!
Tilly is getting dumber by the second, how could she run for command?
As for the rest... urghh its all coming back to haunt from SE1... shame....

Soldato
I really enjoyed it but yes there are some weak bits. At one point we meet a sentient spore, which is first contact...annnd it’s sucked up into the futuristic dyson asteroid tool!

Please go away Tilly so we can have focus on the bridge crew instead.

Soldato
As above, not keen on this episode but loved the first two. It seems to be the whole Klingon thing that ruins it for me, remove the Klingons & the show is great.

Associate
The second season is a monumental improvement over the first, it does feel like how TNG transitioned from... er a bit camp and crap to epic

The first few ep's i recon have been very good.
I dont care the klingons are a bit different, the ships not like the old original series.. because like we all want crap sets, pants acting and cgi consisting of a block of wood.

Associate
Yeah it did didnt it... although i will say the 2nd season was a ...bit better than the first, still a bit crap though.

STD still has a lot to prove, look what happened to stargate universe though.. that cannot happen to a startek series.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Yeah...so episode 3 is a bit of a return to a lot of the things that utterly sucked about season 1. Pity.

Oh, and a word on the revised Klingon makeup. So we're back to having hair on Klingons - fair enough, hair grows and can be cut off, no big deal. But why has L'Rell's skull radically changed shape as well??? Did she get surgery after the end of the Fed-Klink 'war' in the first season? Or is this another one of those moments where the showrunners change something and hope no-one notices or asks questions? :p

Back
Top Bottom