New Star Trek series - 2017

Caporegime
Bit of an odd episode really, this character Ariam has been just a figure in the background for 99% of the episodes. It's only really this one where she's been given actual significant screen time, so how are you meant to be annoyed at the character seemingly being killed off?

Was interesting that she was Human and was in a shuttle crash then made cybernetic, for the most part she just appeared to be another random species in the background. Presumably next week that thing with a butthole for a face will reveal his former life as Mr Galaxy before getting his face sat on by slim here:

QvLU2lM.jpg

Soldato
Bit of an odd episode really, this character Ariam has been just a figure in the background for 99% of the episodes. It's only really this one where she's been given actual significant screen time, so how are you meant to be annoyed at the character seemingly being killed off?

Exactly. I thought she was full on android until this episode so it was nice to hear the backstory. Regardless I couldn’t really be emotional towards the end as I just didn’t care. She’s had bugger all development until now and yet I’m reading about viewers being upset!

Caporegime
Exactly. I thought she was full on android until this episode so it was nice to hear the backstory. Regardless I couldn’t really be emotional towards the end as I just didn’t care. She’s had bugger all development until now and yet I’m reading about viewers being upset!

Presumably they can beam her back in since she's now shutdown, listed by imdb as being in the next episode but might just be recap footage if they've decided to kill the character off.

Soldato
given how Culber came back I wouldn't be surprise to see her come back at some point either - whether surprise beaming aboard beginning of next episode or some kind of memory reconstruction given she downloaded a lot of her memories.

Would have certainly liked to see more development of her character though - especially given cybernetic enhanced human due to crash/accident (more like 6 million dollar man), rather than full blown android like Data.

Anyway given what Ariam said at the end of the system wanting to kill Burnham, it looks like it could be further setup for her being the Red Angel.

Story looks like matrix/mass effect/terminator with "reapers"/"squiddies made by skynet coming to kill all organic life. As to where/how the red angel fits into all this - possible lone survivor of another timeline massacre trying to set things on a different path. Cliche but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.

Regarding Spock/Burnham "altercation"... this was so minor from the previous episode memory flash back, I'm sure many people have said/done far worse things with family/siblings etc and got over it. Kind of weird how that one incident created such a huge rift. In any case nice to see Spock putting Burnham in her place - definitely needed that shouting match to set things straight! :D

Overall I'm thoroughly enjoying this season, way better than Enterprise for sure. Also on a related note makes up for the sad early cancellation of SG Universe. It's scratching the itch for a lot of different franchises (even makes up for things like the failure of mass effect Andromeda - I mean the uniforms just scream Systems Alliance, and the visuals/crew interaction are kind of similar. Even the pseudo reaper plot we've got going now in season 2). Glad they've got a season 3 after this.

It's not the director as it's been a dofdiffer director every episode.
Jonathan Frakes who played Riker in TNG director this episode .
I can't remember but did he also direct the episode with the Eden planet and ww3 survivors? If so that's a solid 2/2.

SpinnyIndianCam needs to go ffs. What does the director think he/she is achieving?
Edit: Excellent episode 9 overall. Good Mass Effect feel to it too. Great interactions with Spork and Michael and for once she couldn't save the day by fast talking her way through a major predicament. Great lines in this episode too.
It is about time the show made use of Owowo, Detmer, Nahn, Harry Kim wannabe (sorry) and the other chap. Owowo and Detmer just stare at each other continually so they need some episodes dedicated to them. It was great to see Nahn finally made use of, so that is a good start.
Haha yeah that inverted camera when the Admiral steps out of the shuttle... :D One camera operator certainly has a thing for spinning and does some weird angles.

And yeah really want to see the bridge crew get more separate dedicated time away from the main plot. Was great to see all the side interactions around Ariam this episode. I think once this next "galaxy ending" threat is dealt with hopefully season 3 allows more time to each character - including those two guys at the back who barely get a look in (Harry Kim 2.0 and male Uhura xD).

Last edited:
Soldato
Burnham at end of the last episode really wound me up. Stop crying about a character we've hardly seen, do your duty and save the crew, ship, and all sentient life in the galaxy. You're a senior bridge officer, act like it FFS! At least the security chief was on the case (not that Burnham cared about her suffocating to death on the floor). What's the point in Starfleet training if you're going to freeze up, cry, and risk everyone instead of acting? Save the ship now, cry about people dying afterwards!

Maybe if they'd used those spinning lie detector globes on Tyler just like they did on Spock, they would have realised that he wasn't the saboteur.

Soldato
Burnham at end of the last episode really wound me up. Stop crying about a character we've hardly seen, do your duty and save the crew, ship, and all sentient life in the galaxy. You're a senior bridge officer, act like it FFS! At least the security chief was on the case (not that Burnham cared about her suffocating to death on the floor). What's the point in Starfleet training if you're going to freeze up, cry, and risk everyone instead of acting? Save the ship now, cry about people dying afterwards!

Maybe if they'd used those spinning lie detector globes on Tyler just like they did on Spock, they would have realised that he wasn't the saboteur.

It's getting too much Star Trek 90210 for my liking

I'm surprised we've not seen Tyler riding around the ship on a harley with REM playing in the background

Back
Top Bottom