New Star Trek series - 2017

Soldato
leans to much on the gay thing
I disagree tbh, yes there is a lot of "box ticking" in TV/Films these days, every program seems to have to have as many boxes ticked as possible to the point that I think gays, in particular, are over-represented but in Discovery I wouldnt say it was pushed or out of place, its not made a big thing nor would I say it feels forced, theres a gay engineer dude and his partner, they arent "gaying" it up at every opportunity, nor does it effect the roles they have on the ship, they could just as easily be a standard M/F couple...

Soldato
Tonight's episode was pants.

Did they ever say what happened to prime Lorca too?

about two seconds I think. The admiral (I think) said something along the lines of my Lorca wouldn't have stood a chance in the alternative universe. They basically think he's dead, but never actually said that. Guess it leaves it open in the future for him to return.

J.T

J.T

Soldato
Liked the reference to Archer being the last Human to set foot on the Klingon Home world, was hoping they were going to contact him to see if he had any insight into Kronos.

On a side note: Woman seem to outnumber Men in Star Fleet by quite a lot, just saying...

Soldato
I'm disappointed they didn't do anything with the Terran ISS Discovery, just a throwaway line about them being destroyed really quickly. There could have been some interesting story lines there. I wanted them to have been causing mayhem in the prime universe and we'd get a showdown between Captain Saru and Captain Killy. But no. Just disappointment.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
CBS have a next episode preview every week that doesn't show on Netflix:

Seems to give a lot away, not sure how they're going to tie up the series but given what they're giving away there I think there's going to be more to it than what we expect.

Also, seedy half nekkid alien lady dancers in Trek... interesting.

Soldato
I thought they would use the spores to see if they can travel back in time 9 months.......starfleet have taken a right battering
Oh im pretty sure they will, its a big plot point now just probably not until next season.
Also in TOS I don't believe its implied that the Klingons gained that much territory and given that they referenced Archer in the last ep, indicates that they are playing on the same timeline so must mean at some point in the show its all undone.

Latest ep was drival though especially the Ash side story that has just nose dived off a cliff hard. They could have played the Klingon spy stuff up forever and it would have been interesting.

Soldato
Oh im pretty sure they will, its a big plot point now just probably not until next season.
Also in TOS I don't believe its implied that the Klingons gained that much territory and given that they referenced Archer in the last ep, indicates that they are playing on the same timeline so must mean at some point in the show its all undone.

Latest ep was drival though especially the Ash side story that has just nose dived off a cliff hard. They could have played the Klingon spy stuff up forever and it would have been interesting.

Who's to say he is fixed? That klingon woman could have done anything

Man of Honour

This must all be happening some time after Archer because didnt she say that Archer was the last to go to Kronos almost 100 years ago?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
100 years between Archer and Discovery, does that actually fit within the prime timeline properly though?

Yes, as far as anything at all in this series fits within the prime timeline properly.

TOS started in 2265 ("Where No Man Has Gone Before", the second pilot and the one that led to a series order) and ended in 2269 ("Turnabout Intruder"). Enterprise was 2151-2155, not counting the truly dreadful finale that was actually set on the holodeck of the Enterprise-D (!). Discovery is supposed to be 10 years before TOS, so ~100 after Enterprise is about right.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
wonder if at the end of discovery we'll see the enterprise being built

The popular 'fanon' theory for the Enterprise build date was always 2245 or thereabouts. Launched under the command of Captain Robert April, then commanded by Christopher Pike, then Kirk. But if we leave aside fanon and look solely at what we've been shown on-screen? The first Trek Pilot "The Cage" (later adapted into the two-parter "The Menagerie" for TOS season 1) was set in 2259 with Pike as the captain and was clearly not early on in his command - he talks to the doctor about how tired he is of the job for example, not exactly the hallmark of someone who is right at the start of a five year mission. So really, the Enterprise ought to be in space and under his command by this point - Discovery is now sometime in 2257 after all that nonsense in the mirror universe.

Soldato
ahhhhhhh, so we could see the enterprise whizzing about at any time then
Well given we seem to be looking at a decent wedge of federation ships being destroyed at this point wizzing probably isn't the first thing on its priority list..
They have already spoken of the Defiant though and it being Constitution class so we know the ships exist, even if the Defiant was built before the Enterprise we could see one in season 2..
Has anyone got a screen cap from where it was shown on screen in Discovery, might help us see what she looks like and see if its more a JJVerse or TOS design...

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Trig - the problem with the Defiant is that it was sent from Prime Universe 2268 back to Mirror Universe 2155. And judging by the graphic shown in the Discovery episode, the MU Starfleet had made some modifications over the years:

oTDkV6L.png

***edit***

Here's how the Defiant looked when it was captured by the Tholians in the MU episode of Enterprise:

GJnht7H.jpg

So, exactly like the NCC-1701 of TOS. Odds on the Discovery showrunners sticking to that look? Wouldn't hold my breath.

Back
Top Bottom