New Star Trek series - 2017

Soldato
People are still upset that they didn't make a 2017 TV series look like it was made in 1970? It's just daft. They didn't have the tech to make exotic alien species back then, hence why everything was just a different coloured body paint. Nothing wrong with introducing new and better species now they have the ability to.

No they are upset as it pee's and takes a huge dump on the existing cannon and time line. They could at least set it future post voyager or just not call it star trek as it clearly its has little in common bar the name some visual stuff, I'm not going to comment the other issues.

Like the last three movies Its generic action adventure in a thin star trek skin. Edgar AKA the Bug from MIB1 is a good visual metaphor

Man of Honour
*sigh*

No. I'm not 'upset' that the show isn't being made to look like it was made at the same time as TOS. I'm 'upset' that the writing is generally weak, the majority of the characters are either unlikable or mere cardboard cutouts, the character and story continuity with the rest of Trek is completely out to lunch for absolutely no storytelling benefit...the visual continuity issues are nothing compared to the serious problems that this show has.

Hehe, you brought it up again though!

The whole franchise is in a bit of a mess at the moment. The reboot was excellent, but for some short term gain I think they have actually created a bit of a problem.

I thought Discovery got a lot better in the second half of the season, it wasn't fantastic but it was decent. It could have been a lot more.

Soldato
What i dont understand is why they bothered.

Surly they would be better off continuing the timeline post ST TNG (2395+) Theres so mush stuff they could do, The Temporal War for example. Why do they keep ******* about with written history?

Hell bring back Riker or Crusher and put them in the chair

Man of Honour

Surly they would be better off continuing the timeline post ST TNG (2395+) Theres so mush stuff they could do, The Temporal War for example. Why do they keep ******* about with written history?

It was always a weird timeframe to pick. Perhaps because Nemesis flopped so much and the reboot was so successful they put it down to the time period? So much they could have done in the future timeline. I always remember the glimpse we got of the Enterprise J? in the future. Could have been neat.

Soldato

Because of the success of the movie reboot. They are too scared and creatively bankrupt to go elsewhere. Everyone might just as well treat STD as a reboot/alternative universe - the writers and showrunners do, the viewers should as well.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Star Trek: Enterprise worked hard to work within the established Star Trek universe. I don't think it was too bad but it was very derivative and in the end people (fans included) voted by watching something else.

Like I said earlier in the thread, they kind-of chickened out with Enterprise. The show could have given us a ship that took weeks to go anywhere (space is rather big, after all), had minimal weapons to speak of, almost no protection and with none of the technology that later shows simply took for granted. Instead, we're at a new planet each week, phase cannons and photonic torpedoes look exactly like and do exactly the same job as phasers and photon torpedoes, polarised hull plating is pretty much as good as shields always were in the franchise (hit comes in, consoles on the bridge explode, "shields/hull plating down to 68% sir!"...), the grappler does the same job as a tractor beam, the transporter is pretty much as good as it is 200+ years later...

That show tried to change too little from the Trek formula that had worked. This show...hell, I'm not sure STD even has a formula any longer. If it does, it's not the same one that it began life with when Bryan Fuller was still showrunner.

RE: the reboot films. I enjoyed 2009's Star Trek, in spite of the plot holes and rushed story. I also enjoyed ST: Beyond, again in spite of some plot holes. But ST Into Darkness has to be one of the worst Trek films of the bunch, almost on a par with Nemesis in sheer awfulness. Final Frontier has more redeeming qualities.

Soldato
It was always a weird timeframe to pick. Perhaps because Nemesis flopped so much and the reboot was so successful they put it down to the time period? So much they could have done in the future timeline. I always remember the glimpse we got of the Enterprise J? in the future. Could have been neat.

Nemesis was rubbish but you don't solve that by making a rubbish show which tramples over everything that came before it .

The reboot movies are fine and fun in there own right but they are still not star trek but at least they where reboots

Associate
One of my favourite bits in Enterprise was at the start of an episode when they were shooting asteroids (I mean testing weapons to maintain ship readiness) out of boredom, space is big and there isn't always much to do.

Soldato
They should just go to the future bring back borg and seven of nine least in dull episodes we would have had something to look at!

Jokes aside I did enjoy the season as a hole but my god what a **** finale

Man of Honour
Like I said earlier in the thread, they kind-of chickened out with Enterprise. The show could have given us a ship that took weeks to go anywhere (space is rather big, after all), had minimal weapons to speak of, almost no protection and with none of the technology that later shows simply took for granted. Instead, we're at a new planet each week, phase cannons and photonic torpedoes look exactly like and do exactly the same job as phasers and photon torpedoes, polarised hull plating is pretty much as good as shields always were in the franchise (hit comes in, consoles on the bridge explode, "shields/hull plating down to 68% sir!"...), the grappler does the same job as a tractor beam, the transporter is pretty much as good as it is 200+ years later...

That show tried to change too little from the Trek formula that had worked. This show...hell, I'm not sure STD even has a formula any longer. If it does, it's not the same one that it began life with when Bryan Fuller was still showrunner.

RE: the reboot films. I enjoyed 2009's Star Trek, in spite of the plot holes and rushed story. I also enjoyed ST: Beyond, again in spite of some plot holes. But ST Into Darkness has to be one of the worst Trek films of the bunch, almost on a par with Nemesis in sheer awfulness. Final Frontier has more redeeming qualities.
Yeah, that was my feelings around Enterprise.

I get that the ship is going to be more detailed and "modern" looking than NCC-1701 due to the 60's limitations of TOS. So I could suspend my disbelief around the glowing nacelles and deflector dish etc.

But they had a real opportunity to make Enterprise a far more frightening proposition to be aboard. Limited defences and minimal weaponry could have resulted in more tactical TWOK-style skirmishes, more like submarine warfare in space. The ship should have had a more naval or cargo aircraft feel too - the way they depicted the engine room was a good start but it seems they backed out when it came to the bridge and the rest of the ship. They could have played more on random mechanical failures. There was a lot of potential with the setting that didn't get exploited enough.

Soldato
more like submarine warfare in space. The ship should have had a more naval or cargo aircraft feel too - the way they depicted the engine room was a good start but it seems they backed out when it came to the bridge and the rest of the ship. They could have played more on random mechanical failures. There was a lot of potential with the setting that didn't get exploited enough.

If you want that type of space battle you will LOVE Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Soldato
dunno I like the show and looking forward to season 2. but the flaws in the reboot become glaringly obvious after you just watch one half decent tng episode.

can Patrick Stewart just come back for one last season of future tng as admiral or something. id pay whatever ****** subscription they wanted for that.

also getting rid of Isaacs will likely be the shows downfall. a moody rogue captain gave this show some gravitas ànd his acting in comparison to the other cast members is masterfull.

Soldato
Oh dear, how sad. STD's showrunners are quitting. I'm distraught. Alex Kurtzman is taking over, he was an exec producer along with co-producing the first of the reboot films.

Jumped or pushed?

dunno I like the show and looking forward to season 2. but the flaws in the reboot become glaringly obvious after you just watch one half decent tng episode.

can Patrick Stewart just come back for one last season of future tng as admiral or something. id pay whatever ****** subscription they wanted for that.

also getting rid of Isaacs will likely be the shows downfall. a moody rogue captain gave this show some gravitas ànd his acting in comparison to the other cast members is masterfull.

Yeah, Issacs really showed everyone else up. He just has screen presence and acting quality. All the TNG cast say that having Stewart made them all up their game massively to try and match how good he is, and Issacs should have been the same, but we don't know if we're getting him back in the new series.

Back
Top Bottom