New Star Trek series - 2017

Soldato
Seriously, the best thing they could do at this point is drop the Spock thing. Just drop that thread and forget it ever happened.

Actually, scratch that. The best thing they could do at this point is cancel the show.
No thanks. That is not an option .I and many others are really enjoying Discovery .It's been a huge improvement over series 1 .

JRS

JRS

Soldato
It's been a huge improvement over series 1 .

I would agree that it has, in parts. But that still doesn't make it particularly good overall.

There have been two genuinely good episodes so far - "New Eden" and "An Obol For Charon". The first episode of the season ("Brother") had many, many issues but enough that vaguely worked to suggest that maybe, just maybe, the series was salvageable. Sadly, "...Charon" (which, again, was a very good episode of STD and a decent Trek story as well) was book-ended by a couple of dumpster fire episodes. "Point of Light" felt like a season 1 script and show in all the wrong ways. And "Saints of Imperfection" basically sucked from the pre-intro teaser right through to the end.

Looking ahead I'm assuming that episode 9 is probably going to be a good one again. Because Jonathan "Two Takes" Frakes is directing that one (he did "New Eden" as well). Maybe the Search For Spock™ will have gotten halfway close to being resolved by then.

Caporegime
And also I really liked the first 5 episodes...

Some were objectively better than others, but I didn't think any were bad.

It's better than TNG was at the same point in its life.

Soldato
Where did you hear that? I do not believe that is correct at all .
It's the reason why the shows gone over budget also nobody wanted to buy the 'Short Treks' either. It was CBS who ordered re-shoots apparently and this only happened after Les Moonves was fired along with cohorts and a change in the shows direction was ordered.

It's important season 2 is successful, STD is the flagship show for CBS All Access and that service is losing money. STD got a free ride for first season as fees from Netflix was apparently enough to pay for the whole first seasons budget but due to poor viewing numbers they demanded a big discount for the 2nd season. If season 2 doesn't pick up CBS could very well axe the show that costs $10m an episode to make which will be sad as it could be the end of Star Trek on the small screen for another 10 years. :(

And also I really liked the first 5 episodes...

Some were objectively better than others, but I didn't think any were bad.

It's better than TNG was at the same point in its life.

True but TNG did have some stand out episodes in the first two seasons which I would put above anything I've seen in STD so far (Drum Head, The Measure of a Man for example). My POV is STD has been a mess not bad the only bad one was the with the severed baby head which has no business being in Star Trek IMO. My biggest issue has been the writing which a lot of time just seems confused and written by people who have never watched Star Trek before.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
This and the Orville are my two fav shows at the moment. Could do with less SJW Burnham though.

I don't mind Burnham, I just wish she would stop damn whispering all the time. I'm angry, I will whisper. I'm happy, I will whisper. I'm curious, I will whisper. I'm sexy, I will whisper. I'm upset, I will whisper. I'm guessing its supposed to be "dramatic" and "tense", but it annoys the hell out of me, whisper whisper whisper. Speak up woman!

Soldato
I am still hoping they put Tilley and that new engineer Tig notaro out of an airlock soon
Woah! Tilly I get but Tig?! Tig is great! I wish she was actually featured more as her interactions with Stammets is really well done.

Burnham on the other hand - absolutely sick of more than anyone. That ridiculous stare she has is getting old fast and reminds me of a flippin bollywood soap opera. I really think Disco would be great with Pike being the leading crew member, and more emphasis focused on the bridge crew too.

Soldato
I am still hoping they put Tilley and that new engineer Tig notaro out of an airlock soon
Poor Tilly, she has such an obvious character path but the blatant social reinforcement is a good example of what brings the show down. I mean it doesn't take a genius to figure out that someone like Tilly isn't cut for command and she isn't someone who has obvious athletic talent yet and there's nothing wrong with that as seeing a character fall down, fail and trying something else isn't wrong it happens everyday in real life. Clearly she has confidence issues and the writers should use that but it's like they don't know how to or just don't want to and she gets by regardless and everyone on ship tells her how good she is all the time.

Hows about Discovery just gets destroyed and then we move to Pikerprise..
Sounds like a show about Irish Travelers in space, each week they turn up uninvited in someones poor spices backyard.

I don't mind Burnham, I just wish she would stop damn whispering all the time. I'm angry, I will whisper. I'm happy, I will whisper. I'm curious, I will whisper. I'm sexy, I will whisper. I'm upset, I will whisper. I'm guessing its supposed to be "dramatic" and "tense", but it annoys the hell out of me, whisper whisper whisper. Speak up woman!

Notice every time Burnham walks into a room everyone just stops what they are doing and start smiling appreciatively and gawping at her, it's ridiculous. Good actress though but she can only do such much with the material she's given.

Soldato
I don't hate Burnham, but I wish there was less focus on her and that they'd stop trying to make her the hero in everything. I get that she has a unique position within the show, being the adopted sister of one of the most iconic Star Trek characters, but I find her a bit tiresome at times. She doesn't make a good protagonist imo and I think Star Trek works better when it's more of an ensemble show that focuses on all of the bridge crew. We've barely got to know most of them and we're over a third of the way through the second season.

Back
Top Bottom