New to PC gaming advice of current spec

Associate
Hi,

Relatively new to PC gaming and been on console for many years prior.

I bought my brothers old custom gaming PC initially just to use for work and internet, as i just moved out and didnt actually have a computer, then slowly started using it for gaming and console has never had a look in again.

Below are current specs I have now:

GPU - GeForce GTX 760
CPU - AMD FX(tm)-4170QUAD CORE PROCESSOR
MOBO - MSI 760GM-P23 (FX)
PSU: CORSAIR TX 650
Case : ZALMAN Z9 ATX MIDI TOWER

He had it for maybe 4 years and i have had it two so parts above maybe old and past their best. I dont know where i should look to upgrade and would appreciate any advice that anyone has.

Bar the GPU which I was given several months ago and the case i bought last month its all standard config from when he first bought it.

thanks

Associate
you could go for something like this.
you would be best adding an after market cooler as well but not knowing if you have one already I wasnt adding it.

I would add an SSD as a boot drive as well if you haven't already got one.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £432.47
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Ryzen is also coming out next month so could be worth while waiting before taking the jump.

Associate
OP
If you mean CPU cooler yes i have one fitted?

I don't think i have a SSD no.

Great thanks for the suggestions. With that would the motherboard suffice? Or should i still look to upgrade that?

Man of Honour
I wouldnt get that ram you can get 16gb of 2400mhz for £80.

Edit just seen its out of stock, still £30 more than 2400 mhz 8gb ram is not worth the minor performance increase.

Associate
yea that board and CPU would last you a while and you would see a massive improvement on what you have.
Is it a stock cooler you have or an aftermarcket one? if its an after market one do you have the intel brackets? if not it would be worth buying one as being a k chip you can overclock through time once youre more confident. Also I would highly recommend an SSD to use as a boot drive and use youre old drive as a storage drive.

Soldato
If you mean CPU cooler yes i have one fitted?

I don't think i have a SSD no.

Great thanks for the suggestions. With that would the motherboard suffice? Or should i still look to upgrade that?

If the cooler is an AMD stock cooler, you will need a new cooler. If your cooler is an aftermarket one, i.e. not Intel or AMD stock but another brand, you'll need to check whether it has mounting for Intel 115X and if you actually still have the necessary mounting parts in the box for the cooler. I'm guessing you'll need a new one.

If you upgrade CPU you will need a new motherboard with the right socket. It's not worth upgrading to any AMD CPU that can fit that same motherboard.

The situation for upgrading is a bit tricky as both CPU (meaning mobo and new DDR4 RAM and probably new cooler too) and GPU could do with upgrading to really get you better performance. But if you had to start somewhere, I would agree to start on the CPU/mobo/RAM/cooler. Alternatively, you could get a non-overclocking board and chip, the latter which comes with its own (Intel stock) cooler.

If you wait for the beginning of March to see what AMD launch, and its effect on Intel prices, you may get more for your money then.

And yeah don't get that 3866MHz 8GB kit of RAM.

Associate
OP
yea that board and CPU would last you a while and you would see a massive improvement on what you have.
Is it a stock cooler you have or an aftermarcket one? if its an after market one do you have the intel brackets? if not it would be worth buying one as being a k chip you can overclock through time once youre more confident. Also I would highly recommend an SSD to use as a boot drive and use youre old drive as a storage drive.

Thats good to know I would like it to last a while.

Its aftermarket. The stock was too noisy. Its made by Scythe? Came with multiple fittings its states will fit intel LGA 775/115x/1366/ and intel 478 then a long list of AMD.

i will certainly look into a SSD.

If the cooler is an AMD stock cooler, you will need a new cooler. If your cooler is an aftermarket one, i.e. not Intel or AMD stock but another brand, you'll need to check whether it has mounting for Intel 115X and if you actually still have the necessary mounting parts in the box for the cooler. I'm guessing you'll need a new one.

If you upgrade CPU you will need a new motherboard with the right socket. It's not worth upgrading to any AMD CPU that can fit that same motherboard.

The situation for upgrading is a bit tricky as both CPU (meaning mobo and new DDR4 RAM and probably new cooler too) and GPU could do with upgrading to really get you better performance. But if you had to start somewhere, I would agree to start on the CPU/mobo/RAM/cooler. Alternatively, you could get a non-overclocking board and chip, the latter which comes with its own (Intel stock) cooler.

If you wait for the beginning of March to see what AMD launch, and its effect on Intel prices, you may get more for your money then.

And yeah don't get that 3866MHz 8GB kit of RAM.

Many thanks for the info and suggestions. Ive noted above cooler spec on fittings.

Associate
yea you should be fine to go with that cooler then.

as above though and as I said before its worth holding on a few weeks and see how good the new AMD chip really is and see if it has any affect on intels pricing.

Back
Top Bottom