new to pc's hard drive problems

Associate
Hi everyone, i'm totally new to pc's but love flight sims so i purchased a pc over the weekend thinking it will be straight forward this computer has been custom built (not for me),i thought it sounded like just the thing i needed,so here goes,it has no dvd reader but i purchased one from ebay and should be along this week,the problem is that when i downloaded my bt cloud,google,ect ect,its going on to the ssd and not the hard drive,i have been looking at countless video's on youtube all to no avail i can't get anything to store on the hard drive??,here are the specs of the pc,i5 4670k,8gb cmx8gx3m2b1600c9 xms3 (2x4gb) DDR3,,R9 290 gpu,gigabyte z87x-d3h motherboard,m4 256gb ssd,hd 24ui 2tb hard drive,western digital 3tb hard drive,samsung spinpoint hd753cj 750gb f1 hard drive,"old" 320gb hard drive (unplugged),coolmaster stacker 831 case,antec hgc-900 high currency gamer 900w power supply...i'm reading these settings off of the ebay sellers specs as i don't know how to look at them on the pc that's how new i am to pc's,i am not stupid but please explain what to do as if you was talking to a chimp:),any help would be great as i can't play my flight sims until this is resolved,i'm disabled and thought this would be a good way to pass my time tinkering with the pc but it's not to be as i'm lost and stuck,kind regards michael,also i'm using windows 10,thankyou

Last edited:
Associate
Windows will naturally try to use drive C: unless you tell it otherwise. Can you tell me, are you intending to use Steam? That can be located, with all it's games, on a different drive.

Associate
also set the download location in your browser , which is where most people do their downloading. under options in Firefox.
Set this to point to your hard drive eg D: or E:

Associate
Can you see the second HD when you go to my computer/file explorer?
When installing programs etc I will tell you where exactly it is going to get installed to.
Your SSD for your OS should be the c drive.
When installing things and you see it’s going to c drive/program files etc you should see a button “browse” where you can then select the second drive should be D.
Or if it says “express install” and “custom install” press custom and choose the second drive in there.
Could maybe make a programs folder in your second HD just to be neat that’s what I do anyways

Associate
OP
hi david,so sorry for the delay in answering you back i work crazy hours..thanks david i will do as you have said and see how it goes,have a great day michael,yes when i go on the pc screen were it shows the drives i can see the C + D + E + F drives:)

Back
Top Bottom