New to VR. Where to start?

Associate
Hi,

I've purchased a HP Reverb G2 on a whim without having any research into VR. (I did try a flight Sim in VR a few years ago on a fully hydraulic seat set up, that was incredible).

I'm not really sure where to start with it if I'm honest! Are there a few demos/tutorial type games that people reccomend would be good to load up first?

I pretty much exclusively play First Person Shooters, but would like to try some motorsport/flying games in VR, though I don't yet have a joystick.

I'm aware of Half Life Alyx, and was one of the motivations for purchasing the reverb, but I'd like to build up to it.

Anyway, would just appreciate some advice or feedback from those of you who have been through all this already :)

Associate
Steam and look into Beat Saber, SuperHot, Pistol Whip, Half Life Alyx, Creed Games (boxing), Elite Dangerous, Star Wars Rogue One, BorderLands 2 VR, Skyrim VR.

Steam has a tutorial on first use on configuring your home and doing basic tasks that should get you up to speed. :)

Soldato
Take a look at VTOL VR if you want a VR grounded flight sim you don't need a stick for. It might not be for your DCS purist throttle and stick crowd, but it's 97% overwhelmingly rated for a reason, it feels so natural.

It'll look ace on that G2 you've got too, sharp visuals is where you really see the difference with the thing.

Personally i think Contractors is the quality fps, but Pavlov and Onward are the more popular. You might also have a few games in the genre that have added VR support, Payday2 as an example.

As for racers, id wait till the next steam sale. Dirt rally/2, Assetto Corsa, Pcars2 all go for peanuts in the sale and are all tremendous value. As for finding your feet in VR, just dip your toe in smooth locomotion to make sure you can hack it, the rest comes natural.:)

Associate
OP
Thanks for advice guys, will check out something from each of the above comments.

Can't actually get the thing running yet so maybe my post about games was somewhat premature...!

Associate
OP
What's the problem?

I get an Error code: 13-14.

'Your headset failed to start at 90Hz. Make sure your headset's cables are plugged in correctly.'

I'm running a AMD 6800XT, with a AMD 3600 and a MSI Mortar B450 mobo.

Unplugged and reseated all of the cables several times. Reinstalled the Windows Mixed reality portal.

If I change from 90hz to 60hz in the headset display settings on windows, the above error message doesn't come up. Instead the mixed reality portal app displays the VR content in the mixed reality portal on my actual monitor (it moves when the headset moves, you can see the controllers pointers), but the headset itself shows no visuals.

It's as if there is some disconnect between the headsets display and everything else?

Soldato
A lot of people have that issue with the AMD cards, suggestion seems to be that it's on AMD's to release a driver fix.

There are a number of threads on reddit, the best i could find was to try the beta drivers.

Associate
I'm trying to play Half life Alyx and I keep getting this message at the start
Bk9Z2RdORcEydtaP4LL-2NXePBq1fKHFZM5D_8DtS4exEXtkpHcVem5EDt3y7eCJuQRd2Q=s170

Sorry about the image it says :- Low available computer memory, please close any programs, may affect performance.
Any Ideas?
my spec is :-
Intel® Core™ i9-10900K 10 Core
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz
RTX 2080

Associate
I'm trying to play Half life Alyx and I keep getting this message at the start
Bk9Z2RdORcEydtaP4LL-2NXePBq1fKHFZM5D_8DtS4exEXtkpHcVem5EDt3y7eCJuQRd2Q=s170

Sorry about the image it says :- Low available computer memory, please close any programs, may affect performance.
Any Ideas?
my spec is :-
Intel® Core™ i9-10900K 10 Core
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz
RTX 2080
I get its mate, but I just carry on regardless, game plays fine

Associate
OP
A lot of people have that issue with the AMD cards, suggestion seems to be that it's on AMD's to release a driver fix.

There are a number of threads on reddit, the best i could find was to try the beta drivers.

I've downloaded the 20.11.3 optional drivers, however the issue persists.

Looks like it's going to be a waiting game until AMD sort it then....:rolleyes:

Soldato
Google Earth on Steam and set yourself as Human Scale in the options. No Mans Sky also has VR and worth a look if you've never played it before. Remember you can try anything on Steam and refund if played for less than 2 hours.

Associate
OP
Finally got the Reverb G2 working with the 6800XT.

It's for sure a minefield starting off.

Project Cars 2 has a free demo on Steam, if you want to try sim racing.

Thanks for this. I downloaded it the other day and was the only game showing up in SteamVR for my to try out, so has been my first VR gaming experience.

Was great fun driving a Ferrari in the wet using the keyboard as the input method (the game doesn't seem to recognise my xbox 360 controller!) :D

Soldato
Project cars definitely does work with an Xbox controller... you need to go into settings and choose it as the control input type.

You need a force feedback wheel though... it’s life changing in VR, and then you can start playing some proper driving games ;)

Associate
OP
Project cars definitely does work with an Xbox controller... you need to go into settings and choose it as the control input type.

You need a force feedback wheel though... it’s life changing in VR, and then you can start playing some proper driving games ;)

I did try that, it was saying it was an Xbox one controller which it isn't! Weirdly it works in the menus. So will have to have another play around I think

To be honest, I upgraded my monitor from a Dell 1080p 144hz TN to a Dell 1440p 165hz IPS as a way of almost justifying the 6800XT purchase.

I'm contemplating returning it and using the saved cash to buy a wheel, a joystick etc etc instead.

I loaded up one of the Half Life environments in SteamVR, and honestly I had goosbumps. It was terrifyingly real, I felt like I actually was Gordan Freeman in the that first scene of Half Life 2.

It's definitely 100% the future of gaming, and anyone who can't see that is blind :p

Associate
I built up a steady collection of stuff during sales since summer when I preordered my G2 (which is going back for a refund and I’ve bought the Q2 instead). What I found is that I can’t (yet) do locomotion in VR. So FPS games are all out, along with games like Saints and Sinners, Echo VR, etc.

What I love (and my two kids do too) are:
Superhot VR
Pistol Whip (expected that to induce motion sickness but it doesn’t)
Beat Saber
Robo Recall

Worthy mentions:
Space Pirate Trainer
Arizona Sunshine
Raw Data
Assetto Corsa (carefully set to 90fps in hot lapping - races require dropping visuals so much that the lack of clarity makes me motion sick, on a 2070S)

I haven’t managed to get a decent frame rate (90) in PCars2 or AMS2. Raceroom might work. Haven’t tried RF2 yet.

Underboss
Hi,

I've purchased a HP Reverb G2 on a whim without having any research into VR. (I did try a flight Sim in VR a few years ago on a fully hydraulic seat set up, that was incredible).

I'm not really sure where to start with it if I'm honest! Are there a few demos/tutorial type games that people reccomend would be good to load up first?

I pretty much exclusively play First Person Shooters, but would like to try some motorsport/flying games in VR, though I don't yet have a joystick.

I'm aware of Half Life Alyx, and was one of the motivations for purchasing the reverb, but I'd like to build up to it.

Anyway, would just appreciate some advice or feedback from those of you who have been through all this already :)

my Advise DO NOT DO ANY THING INTENSE LIKE HALF LIFE ALYX

get into it slowly

beat saber is a good starting point (or just after some tutorials)

otherwise you'll throw up

Back
Top Bottom