New to water cooling, planning first build. Help

Associate
Hi
I want to try custom water cooling and see how it works out. Got the parts cpu (i7 6700k) and gpu (1089ti already with wb) now I need to get the kit.
Want to build it in MetallicGear Neo Series (ITX, Mini V2) and I wonder what pump res combo I could fit in there together with 240mm rad fitted at front. I hope I can cool it all on just one rad.
Watched and read a lot of stuff but still not very confident with the choice of water cooling components. Could anyone help and link/suggest best options for hassle free set up? I would start with flex tubing for my first build.

If you are aware of any useful/detailed guides for planning the loop, could u please post the links?

Soldato
I think a single 240mm rad in a small case will struggle to cool your cpu and gpu. Airflow will be restricted because of the size of the case and it's normally recommended to use a radiator that has one fan space for each component plus one extra one. So for two components a 360mm or 420mm rad.

I know you want to build in a little case (looks nice by the way) but it's limited to a single 240. I would advise getting a bigger case to learn with.

Soldato
Agreed, water cooling takes extra thought and planning. Then fitting it all into any case is a challenge in its own right - going ITX or even compact uATX is hard mode.

It's not just fitting the parts into the space, mounting them, fitting tubing, filling and especially draining are extra bits you won't have a feel for until you're tried it.

My advice is to look for a compact case that's considered good to work in for water cooling. Generally as you spend more on a case you get first looks, then features, then ease of use.

Associate
OP
Thank you for your comments. If u can name a better case I might give that a go but I am trying to move into a more compact size. The case I listed is not the smallest and I have seen several pictures of it with water cooled components inside hence my decision. Phanteks was usually water cooling friendly and this is his budget lineup, can always return if doeant fit. Jay2cents tested full loop one one radiator and this may work also. I can add 120mm rad at the back for the cpu loop if needed with 240 on front which should be more than enough for those components. I do not need to oc the cpu. My main goal is silent, good looking build I can keep on the desk.

Soldato
Firstly you won't achieve silence by cramming the hottest components you can buy into the smallest case you can find. Both of those factors go against the silence concept.

It says you have 345mm of graphics card clearance in that case. Making the assumption that goes to the front panel (could be wrong), you have to fit the graphics card and block, plus 25mm fans and some radiator thickness in there. You're then left with any remaining space to fit a pump/reservoir. Probably above the graphics card rather than at the end.

I'd recommend a 280mm radiator in there to maximise cooling, as thick as will fit. It's worth buying the case and measuring with the parts you have before buying more. This pump can mount to a fan/radiator and should fit. Inlet is on the front which saves space but you'll have to figure out how to fill it from the top in a tiny case.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...0-ddc-3.2-pwm-elite-incl.-pump-wc-907-ek.html

Yes I'd recommend the extra 120mm rear radiator if you use this setup.

Like I said, you're doing this on hard mode. Consider a slightly larger but still compact case.

Associate
OP
Thanks for reply. Do u know any case that is not more than 40mm in length and is morevwstercooling friendly? The card is only 280mm in lenght which should leave enough room for rad and fans. I should have it sat/sun and will do some more measurements and update

Soldato
You would need thicker than standard radiator in that size for it to have hope of beating high end heatpipe coolers in continuous cooling per noise.
And such graphics cards dump out even more of heat than CPUs.

Also that case puts PSU into antiquated position on top to suck in heat from all components and front radiator would dump all heat into case.
I sure feel disappointed at Phanteks even doing such case.
Having been founded in 2007 when cases were already moving away from that antiquated "PSU is case exhaust" design, they have zero excuse for using that.

Associate
OP
Indeed, however having build several PCs in inwin501 with similar psu placement and having all components air cooled, psu was still performing well regardless.
I could just do a loop for the gpu if temps get too bad but been cooling thos cpu with kraken 240mm and temps were idling at 20 spikes to 45-50 when gaming so much lower than I was expecting. I'd probably expect similar with custom loop.
Main goal is water cooled gpu as those get hot and fans have to make up for it which results in greater noise from the system. Not to mention the coolers take more space and hard to fit into a smaller case which is my other goal for this build.

Could also fit this in above the gpu? Are those any good?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-glacier-r160-rgb-reservoir-120ml-wc-025-pt.html

Last edited:
Soldato
The Neo Mini is hardly a "little case". This is a "little case":

https://imgur.com/gallery/xuFAxVg

The Neo can take either a 240mm or a 280mm radiator in the front, a 240mm on the side (though I'm not sure it can do front and side - looking at pics I think not), and a 120mm in the rear. There's space for a short pump/res combo, so no need to resort to niche parts like pump/block combos, or using the radiator as the reservoir.

Sure, building in a massive 3x360mm rad case would be easier. But this is hardly an insurmountable challenge. Here's a hard tube build in a Neo G, which has less radiator support:

https://imgur.com/gallery/2uSwbw7#pSWkzyc

But this isn't a common case. You'll be treading new ground if you try to water cool it. So you aren't likely to get much case-specific advice. It'll be lots of measuring and testing on your part to find the optimal set-up. There are plenty of water cooled H200s out there for inspiration though. The set-up will likely be similar.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I agree, neo mini is not a little case but it isn't the largest either. Smaller than a midi tower and not lonegr than 400mm which is max I can fit on my desk. Price is fair hence I thought I would give it a try.
It looks good as well and it is important to me if it is to sit on the desk. the Fractal design case is not my type :)
thanks for the example I can se he fitted two rads in there. I should get my case tomorrow/sunday and will double check the clearance. I can remove the top cover which would enable me to fill the res from the top easily if it is mounted high.

the Neo version with horizontal mounting bracket does not allow 120mm rad at rear and it is a tight squeeze for two rads at front.

Mainly worried bout the right brackets to mount the pump/res etc.
I think the best thing will be to wait for the case first and once it is here I will share with you my plan for the build hoping for some insight and suggestions to improve it.

Soldato
Meh. Don't listen to the naysayers.
I've cooled an oc 3770k (100w) and a 7990 (450w) with a 240mm rad before. :)
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/tamzzys-project-derp.18564041/
An oc 6700k (100w) and a 1080ti (300w) ain't gonna pull more watts than mine lol
That was a 60mm rad though, looks like there's about 65mm of space in this case for rad and fan thickness. I'm not saying it's not doable, just several challenges that might not lead to a sum total of happiness.

It is a nice case though :)

Associate
OP
Needs careful planning ;)
This is where I will need advice in terms of choice of components, after I measure clearance 8n a case one build is in.
Really on your experience with what can be attached where and with what to achieve "total happiness" :)

Must say I am a but worried having res over the gpu that in case of a leak I am loosing gpu

Associate
OP
Case arrived today and I initially have built in it to check spacing.

Based on my measurements I can comfortably fit 20cm high pump/res combo unit on a spider mount
So will go ahead with https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-xres-140-revo-d5-rgb-pwm-incl.-pump-wc-9jx-ek.html
Purely due to this being easier to fit in attached to radiator.
Ek cpu block cross flow 240 rad and 120 rad by SPC. Crossflow since the tube will come out at the bottom of the gpu and goes to rad at the bottom of the case, than comes out at the top and drops down to the res, than cpu, 120mm rad and gpu.
Actually after watching some of the reviews and build videos I am strongly considering leaving just one 240 rad in there.
All is using g 1/4 inch fittings.

Need help with the choice of tubing please as I am getting very confused which I need to buy to fit.
And also what fittings.
Will need few 90 degree angles,
Few 45 degree
And a few compression fittings.

Not sure on the amounts yet as would have to check how is the tubing going to run.

Also would need to build drain in so a suitable valve is a must.
I guess with rgb res and clock a clear liquid would be better but do not know if there are any decent ones ready mixed?
Can you please advise on the above?
Links would be much appreciated so I can just go ahead and buy straight away. Amazon preferred:)

Man of Honour
in a tight build, i went with 10id/13od tubing and fittings. yes it's slightly more restrictive than larger diameter tubing, but it's also more flexible - which is more important imo
also went with mayhem x1 clear premixed coolant. coloured coolant can stain and can be a pita to maintain imo

Back
Top Bottom