New to water cooling, planning first build. Help

Soldato
For the drain, you'll either need to use a spare port on your reservoir (check manual) or a T fitting. It's just an adapter with 3 ports so you can place it inline on a component, with the 3rd port leading to the drain valve.

Associate
OP
Ok. Cannot find a spare port so will have to use a splitter.
Looking at the tubing, massive difference in price EK vs MAYHEMS
Is there any difference between the two? All I need for my basket now. Git some spare 90 and 45 angled fittings in case my plan doesn't work out :)
So excited

Soldato
Ok. Cannot find a spare port so will have to use a splitter.
Looking at the tubing, massive difference in price EK vs MAYHEMS
Is there any difference between the two? All I need for my basket now. Git some spare 90 and 45 angled fittings in case my plan doesn't work out :)
So excited
From what people report, the Mayhems tubing actually has the least leaching and clouding, despite being more affordable. Seems to be the current favourite, same for their fluids.

Soldato
Those all look good - assuming the mixing colours and brands is intentional.

You may need one or two male-male extenders/joiners to link the T piece and ball valve to other parts. They all have female thread.

Also worth getting a stop plug for the ball valve in case it ever leaks slightly. Can remove the plug before draining.

For the 45s and 90s you could get angled adapters and put your normal fittings onto those, to match styles.

Last edited:
Soldato
as already said by luckybenski :)
only other thing i do
1 female part of my ball valve usually is the end of the run
depending how you set it up-yours may not be
is i put a g 1/4 blank/stop on the end of ball valve
just in case
ball valves unlikely to leak though can get bumped open by accident
working in the case
but i am a belt and braces guy lol

edit
and if he already said that i missed it lol
or he edited it when i wasnt looking
:D:D:D

Associate
OP
struggling to find any 45 angled other than the one I got.
not bothered with the colour of the valve, to be fair choice is very limited.
Can you expand on the 45/90 angled adaptors? not sure what u mean?

I am open to suggestions :)

Could you advise on how to build the drain and give me links to what to get? Very confusing :)

Soldato
Male to male joiner for fitting T piece to reservoir, ball valve to T piece etc:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-af-extender-6mm-m-m-g1-4-black-wc-9j2-ek.html

90° adapter which is male to female. This means a normal male threaded fitting will go onto it, just like the ones you'll use all over your build:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...led-90-degrees-g1-4-inch-black-wc-734-ek.html

So for instance:

outlet of pump > male-male joiner > T piece > fitting, onwards to loop.

Then the side bit of T piece > male-male joiner > ball valve > stop plug.

When it's time to drain, take the plug off the ball valve and screw a spare fitting with tubing onto the valve. Open the valve and aim the tubing into a bowl/jug. :)

or he edited it when i wasnt looking
:D:D:D
Stealth edit ;)

Associate
OP
Ok I think I got you. Only issue I have i that I was hoping to put the in and out on the inside of the case facing the wall.
This gives me very limited access and space to set up the valve.
it is also not the lowest part of the loop as the pump will sit above the GPU. I may have some clearance issues If I was to add the valve there.

I was thinking:

I will add the splitter at the bottom in between the GPU and the RAD. From the splitter male - male joiner > valve and stop plug.

Would this work?

Hope it would as I have just made the order. you could buy a freeking PC for the cost of all those components lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
Very sneaky
Editing when the poor
Dyslexic guy wasn't looking lol
Yes the pc case may
Limit where you can put things
I have put the in/out facing the rear
Panel before
Just meant to drain I had to take
The rear panel off
Ideally drain point should be
Lowest point
It's possible to do the drain
Off the radiator if that's on the bottom
Can even do it off a tubing run
If no where else available
Another option
Which I am doing now
Is to use quick disconnects
You can remove cpu or gpu without
Draining
Though not cheap but I got 120 quids
Worth off ebay new for 17 quid lol
Right place right time they don't sell well on eBay so if auctioned not
Buy now bargains
Can be had
Got a picture of the inside of
Your case?
That might help

Associate
OP
20200202_193933.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xr50r5mlqvfxz7x/20200202_193933.jpg?dl=0

This is what it looks like inside. The gpu is same lenght as the aorus 1080ti extreme with WB that has arrived today but not had a chance to take picture yet.
Box and fan show where the rad and fans will reach up to.
I have around 4 cm space under the gpu to play with

Associate
OP
Those fittings are the hardest part to get your head round. I must say description is not always user friendly and u really have to guess from the way fitting looks like.
At least I find it really hard to choose the right ones.

Like the idea of quick release. Think will upgrade in the future. If I am reading correctly, I will need those two?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/koolance-qd3-no-spill-quick-male-to-13-10mm-black-wc-149-ka.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kool...-for-10mm-x-13mm-3-8in-x-1-2in-wc-141-ka.html

Last edited:
Soldato
why worry about it? I've been water-cooling for more than twenty years and never measured the temperature in the loop beyond feeling the pipe. What matters is the temperatures of what you're trying to cool; how hot is my cpu or gpu? The water temperatures are not really relevant.

doesn't answer your question, sorry. there are (relatively) cheap in-line temp sensors from Barrow and Bysksi available from your friendly Chinese market website.

Back
Top Bottom