New Toyota Supra formally announced

Soldato
Lol @ BMW’s shenanigans... Z4 performance specs have been changed now to 3.9 secs (to undercut the Supra)

They didn't change the specs, it's just that BMW North America released the M40i performance data today, the North American models have 50hp more than cars sold in the EU so they're faster. No conspiracy ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Also... I always thought the Supra was one of Toyota's top level sports cars... Up there with the likes of the RX7, GTR, M3 and so on.... This is car appears to be in the segment beneath....

Caporegime
Also... I always thought the Supra was one of Toyota's top level sports cars... Up there with the likes of the RX7, GTR, M3 and so on.... This is car appears to be in the segment beneath....

it was never aimed at anyone who would buy a GT-R or an M3 it was far cheaper than those (the originals anyway).

what is the price of a brand new M3 or GT-R these days?

the supra when it first came out was 3 litre twin turbo with around 369 bhp iirc. modded up to 1000 bhp.

people that buy m3's and gt-r's don't tend to mod them to 3 times their OEM power.

Caporegime
I am guessing Toyota have to be careful to not step on the Lexus badge which to be honest has some much better offerings over this thing :)

The Supra name carries a lot more weight than Lexus.

The reason why if you look up Supra on auto trader half the "adverts" on there are actually people looking to buy rather than sell. In fact there is one on there which is just marketing for a company which purchased or made a fast and furious replica.

The demand is high for these because of the scene around the cars and the movies. Also the legacy of the engines in previous models.

The type of people who would buy a supra wouldn't buy a 5 litre lexus

Soldato
it was never aimed at anyone who would buy a GT-R or an M3 it was far cheaper than those (the originals anyway).

the supra when it first came out was 3 litre twin turbo with around 369 bhp iirc. modded up to 1000 bhp.

people that buy m3's and gt-r's don't tend to mod them to 3 times their OEM power.

I'm referring to the Old Supra (circa MK4).

Soldato

Eh? The Mk4 TT Supra (not the 'original' but I know what you mean) was often more expensive than both – UK Supra was ~£37,500 in '94, an M3 £32,450.

R32 GT-R wasn't officially offered here but cost £37,317 through an importer (in '92, at least).

They weren't really direct rivals, though, the Supra being a more luxurious, heftier GT – but, due to the nature of comparison tests, it often got lumped in with far more focused machinery.

Today, a Mk4 Supra would cost you (adjusted for inflation) almost £76k new.

Yes, you could get high power figures from them – but that would require a complete rebuild. Getting four figures out of a 2JZ is not a walk in the park. 600bhp is relatively doable, though, but you're starting to creep up on the limits of the internals at that point. Sure, you might eke more out of an engine but it'll be living on borrowed time.

Also, factory TT JDM Supras were claimed to be 280bhp, UK cars were 326bhp. In reality, wasn't a huge amount between them – but the UK cars had upgraded parts that allowed them to support higher outputs out of the box. Then, of course, you had the naturally aspirated variants...

Last edited:
Soldato
Eh? The Mk4 TT Supra (not the 'original' but I know what you mean) was often more expensive than both – UK Supra was ~£37,500 in '94, an M3 £32,450.

R32 GT-R wasn't officially offered here but cost £37,317 through an importer (in '92, at least).

Exactly.

The Supra has gone down a tier!

Back
Top Bottom