1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Toyota Supra formally announced

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Lowe, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Lowe

Soldato

If you go down the Rays route let me know - can hook you up directly if you don't already have in roads. :)

That said, the stock wheels are forged which is a surprise.

2. stuman

Wise Guy

Think I’d prefer an Alpine...

3. morguk

Wise Guy

Looks horrific. Shame.

4. V_R

Sgarrista

Agreed, can't stand the guy, it just came up in my recommended feed.

5. Nasher

Capodecina

I'm sure the bits made in Japan will be reliable, which is...ummm...errr, the badges?

ALL the GT86s/BRZs are made in Japan in the same factory. I was hoping the Supra would be the same, shame.

6. Mal X

Sgarrista

steady now, it doesn't look that bad...........HA HA HA ;)

7. Freelanc3r

Wise Guy

That thumbnail is just pure cringe.

8. bowey

Hitman

Can anyone tell me why the Supra is 20k more expensive than the z4

9. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Because it's not the same car.

10. DarrenM343

Mobster

Are you looking like for like? I can't see the 340BHP Z4 being £30k. Looking on the website they start FROM £36990 (on the road)....with 0-60 of 6.6 so probably that is the base model.
    In fact I;ve just gone to the Build engine and for the M40i based Z4 it's £49050.
    Shame the Z4 looks so naff, at least from what I've seen so far

11. Jonnycoupe

Capodecina

Indeed. Wonder how much the 4 cylinder Supra will be.

12. grudas

Capodecina

If it'll ever come to Europe. I know yota is planning to replace the 86 with a new car and I'm wondering if it's the 4cyl supra!

13. Joe T

Capodecina

I am struggling to understand this need for Toyotas to be built in Japan, and for any built elsewhere not to be worthy of the badge? There's a lot of people that work at a certain plant near Derby who would disagree with you there.

14. pioneer2000

Soldato

It’s simply hard to claim it’s a Toyota when there are BMW stamps all over the engine bay etc, the interior is pasted from the BMW parts bin and nobody from Toyota touches it during construction.

It’s a Rebranded German car with a less prestigious badge stuck on the front.

15. Joe T

Capodecina

I can see some bodywork changes too. In fact, quite a few.

16. Nasher

Capodecina

I hope not lol

17. grudas

Capodecina

it's a bmw toyota supra z4 coupe

hopefully not, it'd be cool to a see a "proper" replacement for the gt86 rather than a smaller engined supra.

18. Nasher

Capodecina

Problem is after 2020 with the incoming emissions regs they will HAVE to change it. Probably either a smaller turbo engine or a hybrid/EV :(

19. Rybo89

Capodecina

Wow, what a horrible looking car. Sure i remember the concepts looking awesome, big bulging arches etc. That thing looks like rat in the video. (Talking about the car)

What a shame as the previous Supra is perfection.

20. The-Plethora

Gangster

I have to say I am looking forward to seeing this car on the road, it will be a while till I can afford to get one though.

There seems to be a lot of negativity regarding the engine here and while I would prefer a Toyota developed unit I don't think it's a terrible thing. Adjusted for inflation this car costs significantly less then the original MKIV Supra, it comes with more stock HP Vs the old 323, it has plenty of extra up front space in the bay for extra cooling and mods and even with some basic tuning / mapping the same BMW engine is seeing over 400Bhp just like the old BPU MKIV, whats not to like? Personally i think the car looks great and I say that as a former MKIV TT Supra Owner.

It will be interesting to see what the tuning companies do with this car. Personally I have always seen the Supra as a (well formerly) affordable car that was reliable and unbelievably tunable and able to embarrass much more exotic machines with a few tweaks. Some people seem to have been expecting a GTR killer but that comes with GTR costs, on the Nissan website a new GTR seems to cost £82,000 all the way up to £152,000.