1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Toyota Supra formally announced

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Lowe, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Six6siX

Mobster

One of the reasons the manual in the MKIV is more sought after is because the getrag box could handle much more power than the auto - hence i'd argue more desirable for it's technical characteristics than the driver engagement. I don't really think they need to make a manual MKV variant as the demand in cars these days is mostly auto. If it's a good auto box, suited to the car and performs well, then I'd much rather that than a manual these days.

Same way I think the GT-R not having a manual isn't a big deal - the GR6 is a good gearbox and can handle power (to a point) - designed for the car and suits it.

2. Lashout_UK

Capodecina

I will say, though, that the automatic MkIV (in twin-turbo form) was quite a thing to drive and I preferred it to the manual one. It suited the car far better, being a GT, and drove and shifted in quite a pleasing fashion. The manual has its issues, after all; the shift action isn't that great, in my experience, and they're also no longer supported – so, if it goes bang, you're in a four-figure world of pain.

I wouldn't discount an auto TT, in any case, and they will live at in the 400-500lb ft range with a bigger trans cooler. There are upgrades available, too, to make them survive beyond that.

3. Lashout_UK

Capodecina

And, on the interior front, no one is going to want their £50k+ coupe to have a more 'Toyota-like' interior. :D

4. Rossi~

Capodecina

Indeed, but I quite like the Lexus LS interior though.

5. Lashout_UK

Capodecina

Yea, Lexus interiors are definitely in a different league – media systems aside! :)

6. Nasher

Capodecina

But on the up side, Toyota's electronics don't break or randomly catch fire :p

7. Lashout_UK

Capodecina

I dunno, Toyota recalled 554,000 Prius and C-HR variants in 2018 for fire-related problems. :D

8. MeAnBoY

Mobster

That's bang on, it was not a sports car quite like an RX7 was for example but a GT cruiser. It's a bit unfair to compare the new stock model to tuned versions of Supra which seems to be what is going on.

9. SDK^

Capodecina

The car needs a manual gearbox and why didn’t Toyota just implement all the stuff them have left for ‘tuning companies’ themselves :confused:

10. Raymond Lin

Suspended

Saves money by releasing this "base model". Room to release a limited edition, more expensive version.

11. Nasher

Capodecina

The US version comes with 385hp I think, so it's capable of that from the off. We get a down-tuned one for emissions reasons but that is easily fixed.

12. pioneer2000

Soldato

The R35 GTR started at about £55k when it originally launched IIRC.

13. SDK^

Capodecina

Must be annoying for the early adopters - they bought the wrong model; the Supra Lite (v0.5)

14. Phil W

Sgarrista

Spotted one whilst over in Munich.

[​IMG]

15. Tute

Capodecina

The lack of a rear spoiler really bothers me, the old one was iconic for it's arch shaped spoiler.

16. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

17. Nasher

Capodecina

"Watch this..."

18. ubersonic

Capodecina

Yeah that's the point, imagine if they had launched it at £30k, the corners they would have had to cut and the compromises they would have had to make.

Of course, I get the feeling you meant that more as a snide remark than a question but I'll explain anyway. At the time the MK4 launched almost all Supras had been NA, and the only one that had previously been noticeably faster than the MK4 NA was the (Japan only) 1990 revision of the MK3 with the 2.5L TT JZ engine that Toyota launched as a stop gap response to the Z32 300ZX.

19. The Running Man

Caporegime

They could surely have used their own 2GR-FE engine and produced a turbo variant if that's what you are alluding too?

Toyota basically sold out on this one and went for the lowest cost project possible going completely off the shelf and German no less.

It doesn't surprise me. Toyota have basically lost the plot entirely when it comes to performance variants for the last 20 years, and have neither the imagination or will power to build proper Toyota bred performance halo cars like they used to.

In thei heyday they had at least 4 tiers of self built or Yamaha collaboration performance, starting with the ae86( NA), MR2 (Supercharged, then turbocharged), the Celica (turbo), Supra twin turbo. All on sale in one guise or another concurrently.

Now they have the gt86 Subaru, and soon the BMW supra.hardly inspiring stuff.

20. Nasher

Capodecina

It's getting harder to make and sell cars like this though :(

In the 90s you could buy a real monster for not a huge amount of money. The equivalents now would be hitting 100k or more. The masses now just want dull SUVs for some reason.

If you want to go really fast on 4 wheels for "cheap" these days. Buy something like a Westfield. Which is probably going to be my next buy :D

Last edited: May 19, 2019