New Toyota Supra formally announced

Soldato
The whole BMW Vs Toyota polarisation of the motoring fan base on this is hilarious.

Toyota, as Toyota haven't produced properly genre defining quick cars since the 90s Supra Turbo (really a GT) and Celica GT4. Toyota as Lexus obviously do but it's not in the same class.

GT86 covers the fun, focused, manual box, mod happy and affordable market segment.

Had Toyota not partnered with BMW this Supra would not have happened and really, given how good the Z4 is and the new Supra is.......

This Supra £ for £ is quicker than the predecessors.

The manual Vs automatic argument is hugely flawed too especially given the real market for these at the current pricing. It's £52k. First run all reserved too so clearly didn't put off too many.

People wanting a focused manual sports coupe car at the Supra pricing are surely just going to go Porsche Cayman.

Soldato
People wanting a focused manual sports coupe car at the Supra pricing are surely just going to go Porsche Cayman.

That is the issue with making any sports car priced in this bracket. Just get a Cayman, because why not. They also do a manual one.

I wouldn't be able to get over the feeling that I just bought a BMW. I can't have that.

Last edited:
Soldato
That is the issue with making any sports car priced in this bracket. Just get a Cayman, because why not. They also do a manual one.

I wouldn't be able to get over the feeling that I just bought a BMW. I can't have that.

Whilst Im not fan of BMWs, their interiors are as dull as ditch water but they are put together well. All the switch gear quality and iDrive is very good. Contrast that to the pathetic recycled crisp packet type interiors of a Toyota, using BMW bits can only be a good thing

Soldato

I wouldn't be able to get over the feeling that the Cayman engine is lacking 2 cylinders. I can't have that.

Soldato
I wouldn't be able to get over the feeling that the Cayman engine is lacking 2 cylinders. I can't have that.

That's why I'd buy one of the previous generation ones :D

Whilst Im not fan of BMWs, their interiors are as dull as ditch water but they are put together well. All the switch gear quality and iDrive is very good. Contrast that to the pathetic recycled crisp packet type interiors of a Toyota, using BMW bits can only be a good thing

Sure if you care about that stuff. I'd rather have it lightweight and reliable. With a good, square on driving position.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea remember the early 90's? You could easily buy a fast saloon that was supercar quick for... more than the price of a house :D

Don't know about that, you could have bought a JZX90 Mark II Tourer V manual for 3.2million Yen in 1992. With the rate at that time it would have been £13,333 + shipping/tax. Not too expensive at all, 280hp, 1450kg. Probably wouldn't have known it existed back then with no internet, but it was out there.

Soldato
You ever sat in a lexus? Toyota can make very good interiors.

Man of Honour
Why, is that mandatory?

What relevance are the personal tastes of people who don't buy when a manufacturer is designing a new model?

It literally doesn't matter what you'd prefer - you're not the customer and your inability to put yourself in the position of those which are is why you can't understand the design decisions.

Soldato
What relevance are the personal tastes of people who don't buy when a manufacturer is designing a new model?

It literally doesn't matter what you'd prefer - you're not the customer and your inability to put yourself in the position of those which are is why you can't understand the design decisions.

How do you know I'm not "the customer"?

Actually. I think I'm just going to put you on ignore now. Byee.

Caporegime
It’s funny as he gets upset that manufacturers make SUVs when it’s clear that this segment is where all the demand is from people buying brand new cars.

£50k is big money for a Toyota.

Permabanned
Right my POV. If I'd had 55k for brand new car and I do like the Supra look. But...
I'd buy nrand new 370x and supercharge it drop suspension upgrades and still have money left...

Illl be Honest 370z LOOKS BETTER and Got MANUAL version I'd even take GT86 over supra and turn it in to weapon.
The 55k Is the problem of this car 15k too much in my eyes.

Soldato
That's what I said when they announced it. The 370z probably doesn't handle as well, but it's kinda similar for a lot less cash.

Permabanned
That's what I said when they announced it. The 370z probably doesn't handle as well, but it's kinda similar for a lot less cash.
I look at Nissan page this moment brand spanking new 370z is 30k i think that for 25k pricce difference You end up with car destroying that supra. Both are more of an GT cars as I see it.

We need to see someone do on track battle see how much stock vs stock is. Thing is no one will compare it way I would. How much extra handling could Yopu get for 10k out of 370z is a question..

But On looks 370>Supra for ME

Soldato
I look at Nissan page this moment brand spanking new 370z is 30k i think that for 25k pricce difference You end up with car destroying that supra. Both are more of an GT cars as I see it.

We need to see someone do on track battle see how much stock vs stock is. Thing is no one will compare it way I would. How much extra handling could Yopu get for 10k out of 370z is a question..

But On looks 370>Supra for ME

It would take a lot of weight shedding and chassis stiffening, probably new suspension to get it close in corners I bet. The Supra has a very low center of gravity to compete with. Most people would just whack a SC or turbo in it, but that won't really much help unless it's a drag race.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom