New Toyota Supra formally announced

Soldato
The other car to consider is the Alfa Quaddroflfofodkjhflkjfsdlkjflkdsjfls whatever they call it, that is super quick, will absolutely embarrass the Lexus and is quicker than 2018 Mustang too, also handles nicely, the downsides on the Alfa being reliability and residuals as value wise they are getting hammered but at 50k second hand with 2yr warranty are worth considering.

Just call it the Quad-Gilf. That's what I've been doing.

Caporegime
Although I can offer no sensible reason why, the idea a Supra with a BMW engine just makes me a little sad inside. Some of the best/worst experiences I had in Japanese cars have been down to the daft/quirky/insane engines.

If they do choose to go with a BMW powerplant like the media suggests, I am sure it will be a formidable car. Just not for me, not that I could afford one anyway :D

Toyota never did their own engines anyway. All the legendary ones were outsourced. 4age, 3sgte, 2jz, 2zz and LFA were all fettled by Yamaha. Just now they are outsourcing to BMW who make some of the best engines available. As long as they do the electrics and ancillaries it will be good.

Caporegime
Always thought the old JZs were toyota

... were mated to a german gearbox even back then though

5 speed was in house and 6 speed Getrag. The JZ's were Toyota built but designed by Yamaha. It is a shame that they can't do the engines themselves for this new one as they have historically built some of the best engines in their class. V10 in the LFA must still be one of the best around. Such an amazing sound.

Associate
I'm not keen on the back of it, looks like the designers had given up at that point! The engine also doesn't seem that impressive on the power front, especially from a 3.0 turbo, perhaps it's like that with the intention of being worked on to get the power to higher levels - doesn't stop it from being quick though, 4.5 seconds suggests it has good aero and is light enough to not need loads of power. Finally that link had me wondering, 0-60 in 45 seconds!?

Soldato
It's f1esque. If it's the same people who designed the LFA and GT86 they are big F1 fanatics.

Speaking of which, I actually saw an LFA on the road yesterday :eek:

Caporegime
If true that’s quite disappointing. I was hoping it would be a bit quicker than that.

$9000 more than a M2 with 30 less BHP and around the same weight. Not sure if really serious! Really hope they got their figures wrong.

Just to put into perspective when the original Supra was launched with its 320BHP was around the same as a contemporary Ferrari 348.

Permabanned
9000 more than a M2 with 30 less BHP and around the same weight. Not sure if really serious!

Me or them?

A Toyota that’s a lot more expensive than an M2, slower and probably worse build quality. Depending on what deals they offer, it’s going to be more expensive than M4 for a while.

It’d have to be cheaper for this power/weight combo or improved performance.

I hope that link is wrong on the spec/price.

Back
Top Bottom