New TV forever changing budget, the future 8k , 120hz & 2.1 HDMI

Soldato
You're lucky, for you the choice is actually easy - go for the QN85A you mentioned. The reasons are straightforward: it will be superior to OLED in your room conditions & its weakness related to local dimming in game mode are not relevant for your use case, finally size itself is always a bigger positive point over straight image quality once the TV is already a decent FALD. Not to mention it's a great TV and its inorganic nature as opposed to OLED means it will last you many more years and with kids watching it too burn in is almost guaranteed; wouldn't that be a waste, to spend all this money and have to buy a new TV in just a few years!

8K is not going to be relevant for the next 10 years as far as video content is concerned, and even for gaming it will be a very mixed affair mostly reserved for ultra enthusiast PC setups. As for 120hz, it's not very important for consoles but a nice plus. HDMI 2.1 is not very important outside of gaming, only exception being eARC for a nice surround sound setup. Overall nothing to worry about.

Associate
OP
You're lucky, for you the choice is actually easy - go for the QN85A you mentioned. The reasons are straightforward: it will be superior to OLED in your room conditions & its weakness related to local dimming in game mode are not relevant for your use case, finally size itself is always a bigger positive point over straight image quality once the TV is already a decent FALD. Not to mention it's a great TV and its inorganic nature as opposed to OLED means it will last you many more years and with kids watching it too burn in is almost guaranteed; wouldn't that be a waste, to spend all this money and have to buy a new TV in just a few years!

8K is not going to be relevant for the next 10 years as far as video content is concerned, and even for gaming it will be a very mixed affair mostly reserved for ultra enthusiast PC setups. As for 120hz, it's not very important for consoles but a nice plus. HDMI 2.1 is not very important outside of gaming, only exception being eARC for a nice surround sound setup. Overall nothing to worry about.

I appreciate the input and offering and giving advice on this set as its one ive been looking at too, woke up this morning thinking again maybe i'd prefer the 75" still but thats providing me the biggest headache as so many choices, all of the sets im looking at will all be an improvement picture quality wise.

Thinking i'd prefer a little less picture quality and bigger screen than a smaller set/better picture.

i can access the EPP samsung store and they have the QE75QN85AATXXU listed at £1920, which seems a very good price.

I haz 4090!
Don
Something to bear in mind depending on your audio setup - the LG 1 series don’t pass through DTS, and you said one of your main use cases was watching films.

Soldato
Grabbed a Panny jz1000 the other day and it’s fantastic, small improvements over my GZ but wanted the 120hz for my new pc. Also passes through most audio formats and does both DV and HDR10+. Might be worth waiting a bit as the new QD Oleds are coming which look interesting :cool:

Soldato
Im off to costco at the weekend as first port of call as they seem to eclipse all on price so hopefully they have a few of the sets im interested on display.

C1 prob sitting top of my list atm if i can get over the size issue as it was one of my main reasoning for upgrading in the first place

While it's a pain choosing a new TV, I do like going into stops and checking out TV's on display and getting demos.

Hopefully for you, it will help you decide which one to buy. Good luck and lets us know how it goes :)

Soldato
The bigger you go and closer you sit, you'll need to be feeding a crispy signal. SD would look terrible :D

I go for bringing the sofa forward on movie nights.

Also note, make sure your audio game is on the same level. Picture is only half the experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
Grabbed a Panny jz1000 the other day and it’s fantastic, small improvements over my GZ but wanted the 120hz for my new pc. Also passes through most audio formats and does both DV and HDR10+. Might be worth waiting a bit as the new QD Oleds are coming which look interesting :cool:
Same reason i went for 65JZ1500 on my home theatre space. Supports Dolby and DTS pass through and Dolby Vision and HDR10+.

QD OLED 65 inch gonna be more than the current 65A90J price :)

Associate
OP
The bigger you go and closer you sit, you'll need to be feeding a crispy signal. SD would look terrible :D

I go for bringing the sofa forward on movie nights.

Also note, make sure your audio game is on the same level. Picture is only half the experience.

Well that was gonna be another topic of choice im still very happy with my 6 year old denon avr 2200w and my tanny 5 speaker setup, just hope people dont start panning the amp saying that'll need upgrading too :confused:

Associate
OP
While it's a pain choosing a new TV, I do like going into stops and checking out TV's on display and getting demos.

Hopefully for you, it will help you decide which one to buy. Good luck and lets us know how it goes :)

Will deffo report my findings, the TV which now sitting at the top QE75QN85AATXXU listed at £1920 on EPP samsung store. But sadly out of stock im constanlty checking for them to land back in stock. Hopefully i can remain patient until weekend when i can go and actually view some sets.

Associate
OP
Thanks so much so far guys and more views are welcomed.

As previously mentioned above the TV which now sitting at the top QE75QN85AATXXU listed at £1920 on EPP samsung store. But sadly out of stock im constanlty checking for them to land back in stock.

Hopefully i can remain patient until weekend when i can go and actually view some sets.

ive picked up so much info on this thread its been a big help and now i have a lot more knowledge on TV's and also each set on my short list.

Soldato
As previously mentioned above the TV which now sitting at the top QE75QN85AATXXU listed at £1920 on EPP samsung store. But sadly out of stock im constanlty checking for them to land back in stock.

That TV doesn't support Dolby Vision. Don't think I would buy a TV now that doesn't support it.

With that Budget you can get the Latest 65inch LG G1 OLED TV with the Evo Panels and a 6 year warranty from Richersounds.

Associate
OP
That TV doesn't support Dolby Vision. Don't think I would buy a TV now that doesn't support it.

With that Budget you can get the Latest 65inch LG G1 OLED TV with the Evo Panels and a 6 year warranty from Richersounds.

Not really sure i'd go for a 65" screen, the 75" versions are way over the budget.

Would it really be a huge issue not having dolby vision? if im honest i know very little about it

Soldato
Not really sure i'd go for a 65" screen, the 75" versions are way over the budget.

Would it really be a huge issue not having dolby vision? if im honest i know very little about it

To be frank if you enjoy a good movie and your looking forward to 4k HDR which your OP points too you will kick yourself going for an qn85 @ 75" as soon as you spot the bloom points in HDR and the grey black you won't stop seeing them, I guess you could load your TV room up with some really bright lights or only watch in the day (last time I looked the UK gets dark for 4-5 months of the year before 5 pm)

Some people are fine with this, I'm not so I feel I should point this out to you.

Just a quick Google unearthed this -

For a TV of this caliber, we were surprised to observe shallow black levels on the QN85A, particularly while receiving an HDR signal. While using a standard ANSI checkerboard pattern in HDR, we measured black levels of around 0.350 to 0.450 nits, which is quite high, even for a standard LCD TV with LED backlights. To put this into perspective, the QN90A’s black level while displaying this pattern clocked in at a much lower 0.059 nits—it’s not even close.

While receiving an SDR signal, the QN85A is able to dip a little deeper into black and make use of its local dimming algorithms, but it’s still nowhere near the depths we expect to see on a TV this expensive. In practice, this means far less shadow detail than there ought to be in darker scenes—something we confirmed while watching Blu-rays in the lab.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.re.../content/samsung-qn85a-neo-qled-tv-review.amp

No idea if that's a good site or not but I'm sure the reviewer wouldn't have said the above if it wasn't totally obvious.

Oh and No DV no Samsung TV there entire range is pointless without DV.

Like I said hang on a few months wait for Samsung to start shipping the QD Oleds screens to Sony and Sony to get them out there.

Bottom line I wouldn't even consider that set.

Soldato
I've just picked up a Hisense 55U8GQTUK from Costco for £480. yes I know Hisense have a rep for being a pretty budget brand, however this model of TV is pretty well specced overall.

Not fired it up yet, but from reading reviews and in terms of bang for buck I don't think anything comes anywhere near it if you aren't wanting to spend a boat load.

It has:
  • ULED 4K screen
  • Dolby Vision
  • HDR10+
  • HLG
  • 1000 nits peak brightness
  • 178 angle of visibility
  • IMAX enhanced
  • Alexa & Google
  • Quantum dot colour
  • Full array local dimming
  • 120hz
Not that I have a clue what half of that does, but I believe some are features you never get on a sub £500 TV.

Everywhere else they are £650-£800 so this is a filthily cheap. They're sold out at Costco online but ring your local warehouse, they will probably have some in.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've just picked up a Hisense 55U8GQTUK from Costco for £480. yes I know Hisense have a rep for being a pretty budget brand, however this model of TV is pretty well specced overall.

Not fired it up yet, but from reading reviews and in terms of bang for buck I don't think anything comes anywhere near it if you aren't wanting to spend a boat load.

It has:
  • ULED 4K screen
  • Dolby Vision
  • HDR10+
  • HLG
  • 1000 nits peak brightness
  • 178 angle of visibility
  • IMAX enhanced
  • Alexa & Google
  • Quantum dot colour
  • Full array local dimming
  • 120hz
Not that I have a clue what half of that does, but I believe some are features you never get on a sub £500 TV.

Everywhere else they are £650-£800 so this is a filthily cheap. They're sold out at Costco online but ring your local warehouse, they will probably have some in.

got a 6 year hisense which has been fantastic which is what i am replacing, thats a good price but way too small for me, Even the 65" version is too as i'd consider the uled model they look good as ive seen them on display but kinda increased my budget now. They dont list a 75" version of that TV which is odd.

Associate
OP
To be frank if you enjoy a good movie and your looking forward to 4k HDR which your OP points too you will kick yourself going for an qn85 @ 75" as soon as you spot the bloom points in HDR and the grey black you won't stop seeing them, I guess you could load your TV room up with some really bright lights or only watch in the day (last time I looked the UK gets dark for 4-5 months of the year before 5 pm)

Some people are fine with this, I'm not so I feel I should point this out to you.

Just a quick Google unearthed this -

For a TV of this caliber, we were surprised to observe shallow black levels on the QN85A, particularly while receiving an HDR signal. While using a standard ANSI checkerboard pattern in HDR, we measured black levels of around 0.350 to 0.450 nits, which is quite high, even for a standard LCD TV with LED backlights. To put this into perspective, the QN90A’s black level while displaying this pattern clocked in at a much lower 0.059 nits—it’s not even close.

While receiving an SDR signal, the QN85A is able to dip a little deeper into black and make use of its local dimming algorithms, but it’s still nowhere near the depths we expect to see on a TV this expensive. In practice, this means far less shadow detail than there ought to be in darker scenes—something we confirmed while watching Blu-rays in the lab.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.re.../content/samsung-qn85a-neo-qled-tv-review.amp

No idea if that's a good site or not but I'm sure the reviewer wouldn't have said the above if it wasn't totally obvious.

Oh and No DV no Samsung TV there entire range is pointless without DV.

Like I said hang on a few months wait for Samsung to start shipping the QD Oleds screens to Sony and Sony to get them out there.

Bottom line I wouldn't even consider that set.

That me practically back to square one thanks :D

Back
Top Bottom