New UI for Samsung phones - OneUI

Caporegime
I have found myself much preferring samsungs skin since the gs 8 over stock android now, google apps/stock is a bit more "clean" looking but they are often more "simple" and not as feature rich as samsung's in my experience.

Hopefully this come to the Gs 8 too?

Associate
OP
It might do, its probably just the beta that is on on the latest devices, I’d reckon it would come with Pie.

I’m a Pixel 2 XL owner, and I like the phone, but Samsung hardware is nice and for me the only thing that grated was the OS. This looks like a big step in the right direction. The night mode in particular is interesting!

Soldato
Yeah the Samsung skins have been much better in the past couple of years, my issue is usually how many S-Apps in includes. But it's certainly much better than it was a few years ago and this is looking better still.

Associate
OP
all that work and effort when they could have just stuck a vanilla pixel launcher on it (and made everyone happy)

You could do that yourself, and these changes appear to be a lot more than just a launcher.

Not everyone is bowled over by the Pixel UI these days either, plenty think its bland. I personally quite like it but think it could be better. I welcome the competition if nothing else, it forces others to try and up their games.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hopefully this come to the Gs 8 too?

It definitely will. But phones without an infinity display maybe not so much.

It's amusing reading sites like reddit after One UI got announced. Suddenly everyone is going balls deep for Samsung and hailing them as the saviour of Android :p

This is the UX Google tried to deliver, but Samsung has the development horsepower and marketing arm to actually do it right and get everyone on their side, it's not even out yet but the whole Android community is going mad. r/android used to hate on Samsung at every opportunity, but since the S8 it's been going through a distinct change in opinion lol.

I'm really confident the S10 will mark the era where hardware and software optimisation and efficiency finally converge. Like Apple did long ago with iPhones, Android will now be on that level.

Soldato
There does seem to be a silly amount of wasted space in some of the screens out there^. There's a screenshot of the messages app and half the screen being taken up by the word MESSAGES. Still it's all early days and that.

Associate
OP
It definitely will. But phones without an infinity display maybe not so much.

It's amusing reading sites like reddit after One UI got announced. Suddenly everyone is going balls deep for Samsung and hailing them as the saviour of Android :p

This is the UX Google tried to deliver, but Samsung has the development horsepower and marketing arm to actually do it right and get everyone on their side, it's not even out yet but the whole Android community is going mad. r/android used to hate on Samsung at every opportunity, but since the S8 it's been going through a distinct change in opinion lol.

I'm really confident the S10 will mark the era where hardware and software optimisation and efficiency finally converge. Like Apple did long ago with iPhones, Android will now be on that level.

You've noticed that too... It does seem anything Google or pixel related is the work of the devil on there at the moment, even some of their members are beginning to notice it.

Soldato
Lol it looks pretty poo to me...

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...ungs-new-night-theme-dark-mode-galaxy-phones/

What's with half the screen taken up by the banner. And having massive white parts on the on a dark theme.

Oneplus does dark theme best so far.

That article is **** as it doesn't explain anything!
They've done it this way to make it easier to use the phone with one hand - the bit where it says "Messages" in huge font will be where your message is displayed when you select it, with the bottom half of the screen showing the other messages that you can scroll through and select with one hand.

The Verge (shudder!) have a better article here

Associate
OP
Yup they tend to forget about phones after a year or so. No shock

And that right there is why I'm on a Pixel rather than a Samsung. I hope they get the Pixel 4 right next year !

Shame though for owners of the s8 which is still a great phone, software updates not withstanding.

Soldato
That is enough to make me consider dumping my S8+ right now to be honest. I expected to at least get Pie with all the gubbins and nothing more than that. IOS or a 6T is looking more appealing right now and I only bought this thing in April!

Soldato
That is enough to make me consider dumping my S8+ right now to be honest. I expected to at least get Pie with all the gubbins and nothing more than that. IOS or a 6T is looking more appealing right now and I only bought this thing in April!

I'm a big android fan (well....google services mainly) and even I'm starting to look at the iphones.

Soldato
I not sure this is 100% confirmed . Note 8 + S8 are getting Pie and this UI is for Pie builds just like previous UI updates were for previous android builds and older phones got those..

Back
Top Bottom