• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New upgrade at the wrong time? what card should i be hunting £400 budget

Associate
Good evening gents.

My long over due upgrade is almost complete, I'm just now lacking a GPU.

Ive been out of the loop lately and been reading lots of posts and catching up and seems a huge lack of cards around and demand out weighs supply, need to decide what i need to concentrate all my efforts on looking.
Is it the wrong time to buy? reading that prices seem high over RRP recently add to that almost impossible to find.

Budget is £400 but pay extra if i get a lot more for my money, Looking at overclockers listings an entry level 3060 is priced at £420 and 3070 at £520 is it worth the extra £100 quid?

Current new upgrade spec (Yet to build)

Ryzen 5600X
Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz
ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING Motherboard
Adata XPG Gammix S50 Lite 1TB M.2-2280 SSD

Re-using
4TB HDD Storage Drive
Corsair RMX850 850W PSU
Fractul R4 Design Case

How do people think my current card would fair in my system until i can get a new card "MSI AMD R9 390X Gaming Graphics Card"

Would it be worth upgrading now and use old card temporary?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whatever you can get. Mining is back in force, demand by gamers is crazy high too, you'll be lucky to get anything. A 3060 Ti at £420 is like winning the lottery. Pray your 390X doesn't die.

Soldato
I'm pretty new to trying to get a GPU too, I was shown PartAlert twitter page where they send out alerts of stock... it's crazy though, they go out of stock in less than a minute. Pretty much impossible.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
This is such depressing news. I'm wanting to build a new PC from scratch (the first for 20 years), not just upgrade one, and there seems little point in buying the parts without the graphics card. The motherboard has onboard graphics, so I could technically use the PC but I'm not sure it's worth it at the moment.

Soldato
This is such depressing news. I'm wanting to build a new PC from scratch (the first for 20 years), not just upgrade one, and there seems little point in buying the parts without the graphics card. The motherboard has onboard graphics, so I could technically use the PC but I'm not sure it's worth it at the moment.
For the regular joe it would be best to just buy pre-built. The margins on that will be less than what you'll be gouged on buying pieces individually right now, and availability is better too.

Sad situation, but there you go. Anyone expecting to buy a 2021 GPU for a decent price - good luck. Mining is so profitable even if you pay double for the cards you're still coming out way ahead.

Associate
OP
For the regular joe it would be best to just buy pre-built. The margins on that will be less than what you'll be gouged on buying pieces individually right now, and availability is better too.

Sad situation, but there you go. Anyone expecting to buy a 2021 GPU for a decent price - good luck. Mining is so profitable even if you pay double for the cards you're still coming out way ahead.

I'm starting to think that, sadly its too late ordered/received everything else.

That being said im happy and think i got good deals on the rest of my spec and what i am reusing.

Soldato
Is it only Nvidia you can buy the founders editions from?

They actually partnered with a competitor so they'll link to their site. I would definitely recommend trying to get the FE as it's the only one that makes sense price wise, the AIB cards are just overpriced due to the stock issues. With the delivery cost the 3060 Ti will easily fall under your £400 budget.

Associate
OP
They actually partnered with a competitor so they'll link to their site. I would definitely recommend trying to get the FE as it's the only one that makes sense price wise, the AIB cards are just overpriced due to the stock issues. With the delivery cost the 3060 Ti will easily fall under your £400 budget.

Yea i agree but looking at the Founders Editions, i'd easily smash my budget to land even the 3080 at that price (£650) or the 3070.

Totally understand ive absolutely no chance but i'll try and resist temptation and wait for stock to be plenty full.

Caporegime
Are things really this bad? Right now?

Reading that there is so many backorders too that need to be forfilled also.
Yes. Worse than you can possibly imagine.

I'm signed up to multiple alert channels, and sat at my computer for ~8 hours a day for work anyhow.

By the time I've clicked on the alert, the item is already gone.. You literally cannot get a 6800 or 6800XT for a reasonable price that isn't way above RRP.

You simply cannot buy many GPUs right now, unless you pay scalper prices (and accept no warranty, etc).

e: Those after nVidia cards might be having a slightly easier time of it!

Soldato
I'm rubbish at this part alert business.

I've tried a couple times but yeh you have to click the link and pay within about 2seconds I think or less, otherwise you get to the basket and the item is no longer available.

I'm going to give up on GPU and invest in the CPU for now try again for graphics around Easter

Caporegime
I'm rubbish at this part alert business.

I've tried a couple times but yeh you have to click the link and pay within about 2seconds I think or less, otherwise you get to the basket and the item is no longer available.

I'm going to give up on GPU and invest in the CPU for now try again for graphics around Easter
Two things are likely happening.

1) The free alerts like PartAlert are likely slower than the paid alert services. Seconds make all the difference.
2) People are using bots to complete the transaction, rather than clicking links and entering details by hand

With this being the case, the chance of your or I getting anything soon is minimal (esp if you're after AMD).

Permabanned
Are things really this bad? Right now?

Reading that there is so many backorders too that need to be forfilled also.

Yep they really are. Unless you are extremely lucky you are going to be way over paying for a card. Even second hand many cards are selling at more then they originally cost and are terrible worse value because of course they are previous generation cards. Honestly unless you want a ton of frustration I would just forget it for six months.

Associate
OP
Yep they really are. Unless you are extremely lucky you are going to be way over paying for a card. Even second hand many cards are selling at more then they originally cost and are terrible worse value because of course they are previous generation cards. Honestly unless you want a ton of frustration I would just forget it for six months.

Have the ability to be on it 10 hours a day in the background at work, as i work at a computer/desktop.

Its ending up with something i dont wont or over spending that scares me. Not paying scalpers tho no chance.

Caporegime
Have the ability to be on it 10 hours a day in the background at work, as i work at a computer/desktop.

Its ending up with something i dont wont or over spending that scares me. Not paying scalpers tho no chance.
Then like the rest of us you're looking at a 3-6 month wait for any kind of normality to return.

Back
Top Bottom