• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New Vega 56 Pulse Crashes

Soldato
Sorry to hijack slightly but what would the minimum power supply you could get away with? Looking at the Vega 56 myself and have a 620w PSU, 4670k @ 4ghz .

My brother uses a ocz modxztream 600 w with an overclocked 2500k at 4.5 ghz and his pulse 56 works fune at stock clocks, haven't tried overclocking it yet as he only plays quake live and mortal kombat.

Associate
OP
Ahhh thought so. You need to lower your HBM overclock. The guys with HBM on the vega 56 forum have hit a brick wall trying to overclock Hynix. I would lower it and test in increaments until you find a safe overclock.

Thank you, I`ve already found stable OC: 1500MHz on core and 930MHz on HBM

Associate
OP
Thank you, I`ve already found stable OC: 1500MHz on core and 930MHz on HBM

Ohh boy... My story continues... I thought I found stable OC but nope... I have random stutters when the card OC`d or on Balance mode... for example Dark Souls III: https://clip2net.com/s/40s7jFl or The Devision 2: https://clip2net.com/s/40s7l57 (both on Balance mode)

I`ve tried everything what I could... reinstall windows 10... changed power supply to 750 watt, better case with airflow... What I should do next? change motherboard and CPU just for GPU?))) any suggestions?

Also, I`ve sent it to Overclockers team but OC team send it back and said that everything is fine with the card (they tested in benchmarks in 1080p and 1440p).

I have no idea what to do next... I`m tired and I can`t enjoy my games, just waste of time... almost 2 months...

My PC specs:
CPU: Ryzen 1600x at 3800MhZ 1.15v
Motherboard: ASRock Mini-ITX Motherboard - AB350 GAMING-ITX/AC (BIOS version 3.60)
RAM: Ballistix Elite 16 GB Kit OC at 3200Mhz 1.35v
PSU: EVGA 750W '80 Plus Gold'
GPU: SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX Vega 56

Last edited:
Associate
Does the issue occur straight away or after a while. I only ask as I have been having major performance issues with my vega pulse which turned out to be avast and also bf5 filling free memory. Turning off avast whilst gaming and running ddu memory cleaner has made a huge difference and I can now game without stutter. This always occured 30 mins into gaming. If not ignore me :)

Associate
OP
Does the issue occur straight away or after a while. I only ask as I have been having major performance issues with my vega pulse which turned out to be avast and also bf5 filling free memory. Turning off avast whilst gaming and running ddu memory cleaner has made a huge difference and I can now game without stutter. This always occured 30 mins into gaming. If not ignore me :)

I do not have any antiviruses on my pc... I have clean Windows 10, installed few days ago... Sometimes the issue occur straight away, sometimes after 5-10 min... I have 16GB of ram + 8GB on GPU, never seen more than 6-7GB in use on RAM and 6-8GB on GPU... I`ve tried The witcehr 2, 3, AC4, DS3 - same issue with 19.1.2, 19.1.1, 19.3.2 drivers and older one 18.XXX something...

I am going to test my GPU in my brothers PC and if this problem occurs on his computer too, then I will try to return the card again, because I do not now what to do...

Soldato
Is this normal for Heaven Benchmark 4.0: https://clip2net.com/s/40sm3E6, drops on core clock and power draw?

Power draw dips generally aren't rare in Heaven as it's got two or three places in the bench where that happens (sometimes it dips 3 out of 3, sometimes 2 out of 3 etc).

The core clock I can't say because I have a totally different card so not sure how it should behave, i.e. fluctuations are fine but a few extreme dips as seen in your screenshot I'm not sure. On my card core clock stays the same only because it's tuned to do so.

But the memory clock sure looks interesting. That looks very bad to me. My card's memory clock is perfect stable throughout several Heaven runs and I haven't even tinkered with memory at all.

You really need someone with AMD Vega card to confirm that's not normal, though. Hopefully someone can do a few runs with their own Vega card and give you feedback.

Soldato
Also, try running Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme Benchmark. I just tried it to see if the power draw didn't have a few extreme dips like Heaven or Valley, and indeed it didn't:

wZvY16n.png
Green line beginning of bench, red line end.

Associate
OP
Also, try running Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme Benchmark. I just tried it to see if the power draw didn't have a few extreme dips like Heaven or Valley, and indeed it didn't:

wZvY16n.png
Green line beginning of bench, red line end.

Usually benchmarks works fine. I`ve run Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme on Balanced and OC`d, everything is stable: https://clip2net.com/s/40sRN4m

Also, I tested my GPU on my brothers PC in Rise of the Tomb Raider and everything is stable even OC`d to 1592MHz at 1000Mv (actual 1503MHz) and HBM 935MHz at 1000Mv... now drops on core clock and HBM...

Now I think, it could be New Power Supply, Drivers or damaged PCI slot on my Motherboard?

Any ideas on how to and what to test?

Thank you in advance!

Soldato
Usually benchmarks works fine. I`ve run Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme on Balanced and OC`d, everything is stable: https://clip2net.com/s/40sRN4m

Also, I tested my GPU on my brothers PC in Rise of the Tomb Raider and everything is stable even OC`d to 1592MHz at 1000Mv (actual 1503MHz) and HBM 935MHz at 1000Mv... now drops on core clock and HBM...

Now I think, it could be New Power Supply, Drivers or damaged PCI slot on my Motherboard?

Any ideas on how to and what to test?

Thank you in advance!

Make sure you are using two separate PSU PCIe power cables, not just two connectors on the same cable.

Unseat the RAM sticks and seat them back in firmly. Set the RAM to stock speed. Run Memtest HCI. Set RAM back to 3200. Run Memtest HCI.

Try Windows 10 High Performance power plan.

Try with Game Mode on and off.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Make sure you are using two separate PSU PCIe power cables, not just two connectors on the same cable.

Unseat the RAM sticks and seat them back in firmly. Set the RAM to stock speed. Run Memtest HCI. Set RAM back to 3200. Run Memtest HCI.

Try Windows 10 High Performance power plan.

Try with Game Mode on and off.

Yes, I'm using 2 separate cables. (VGA 1 ang VGA 2)
I will try to test RAM.

Could be that my new PSU is faulty? I run OCCT stres test twice for PSU (4k not in 1080p resolution) and after 7 min my screen went black (system was working but no signal on monitor), so I had to reboot the system. GPU usage was dropping to 30-70% and then back to 99%, core clock couldn't reach boost clock of 1400MHz (I run it on balanced mode), max was araound 1100-1200MHz.
I've sent a message to EVGA support, maybe they will help my to troubleshoot PSU.

Thank you.

Soldato
I think one of the possibilities could be that ITX board not providing the necessary additional power through the PCIe slot. Hence why it was fine on your brother's system.

PSU maybe. Bit of a pain to test the PSU in your brother's system but if possible do it to rule it out.

Back
Top Bottom