New VR PC Build Check

Associate
Hi All,

Its been about 6 years or so since i last built a PC so i think im ready for an upgrade. I have put the below basket together for everything i that i currently need (windows, drives, monitor, keyboard and mouse will just be reused)

• Would the below give me good VR performance especially if upgrade to something like the vive pro in the future (or an oculus cv2 equivalent as i have the CV1 at the moment)
  • Will it all actually fit in the case?? My current machine is massive as i thought i would need extra drives but i have a server for my storage needs so an SSD and a single SATA suit my needs. I really want something that is less obtrusive
  • Can i do anything to reduce the cost? Move to Ryzen etc
  • I dont have to get this right now I could wait another 6 months (been waiting 6 years so far :)) would it be better to wait for the 2018 line of CPUs/GPUs to come along before making a purchase?
Thanks!

CoolerMaster MasterBox Q300L Micro-ATX Case - Black Window
Intel Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - OEM
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g)
Gigabyte Z370M-D3H Intel Z370 (Socket 1151) DDR4 Micro-ATX Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-29200C18 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (CMK8GX4M2B3600
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Windforce 2x OC 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Kolink KL-600M 600W 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply
Corsair Hydro Series H45 Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - 120mm

Associate
OP
Thanks for the update

Could i ask what the thinking on moving from the corsair to the alphacool unit is? Also is there anyway to know if it would all fit in the case?

Would the support department be able to check that at all?

Thanks

Soldato
Thanks for the update

Could i ask what the thinking on moving from the corsair to the alphacool unit is? Also is there anyway to know if it would all fit in the case?

Would the support department be able to check that at all?

Thanks

they should be able to help ... and also cooler has dropped in price - not much but £5 is £5 :)

okay for lengths!

- Clearances: CPU Cooler - 157mm, PSU - 160mm, GPU - 360mm
- thats the case

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1070WF2OC-8GD-rev-10#sp

Card size
H=37 L=280 W=131 mm
- thats the card size

Large 240 mm radiator made of copper with only 25 mm depth
thats the AIO + 25mm for the fans

360-50-280 = 30mm left of clearance

also for PSU, Seasonic Focus 550w is on sale, again only little but its FULLY MODULAR and has 10 year warranty ! recommend taking that

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-05p-ss.html

Associate
OP
Thats great thank you!

I think i am going to make one small change and for not much more i can upgrade to a 1070ti

Now just to finish convincing the wife and i can pull the trigger and let the bank account take a small hit :)

Soldato
Thats great thank you!

I think i am going to make one small change and for not much more i can upgrade to a 1070ti

Now just to finish convincing the wife and i can pull the trigger and let the bank account take a small hit :)

yes! knew i forgot a thread to post up the GIgabyte gtx 1070ti was on sale for not much more! worth doing it and PSU can stay the same wattage

i think seasonic Focus 550w is on sale for £73... worth the extra pennies. modular and longer warranty!

Associate
OP
From a gaming VR perspective is there much in it between AMD and Intel at the moment, would i actually notice much of a difference?

Going the Ryzen route does seem like i could get a little more for the money?

Soldato
From a gaming VR perspective is there much in it between AMD and Intel at the moment, would i actually notice much of a difference?

Going the Ryzen route does seem like i could get a little more for the money?

With VR headsets increasing in Pixels , it's more about GPU power ! One head set needs to 1080ti! One for each screen haha .
And ryzen isn't lacking to much and has a solid upgrade path in future

Also, the Dual Windforce version is £450 quid so again saves £20

Back
Top Bottom