New Wifi Solution Required - Suggestions Pls

Associate
Hi

Im looking for some advice, like most ppl i currently have a home network with a mix of wired and wifi.

My current setup is BT infinity with a BT home hub 5 (Wifi turned off) with 2 Apple Airport extremes (old and new) providing coverage between upstairs and downstairs for the wifi across the 2.4 & 5Ghz frequencies

I have been having increasing issues where I'm losing the wifi network and having to reboot them to get functionality back.

I am also looking for timed access controls for the wifi network to kick the kids off the network at night time.

any suggestions for what to replace the Airport Extremes with ?

Thanks in advance

Phil G

Soldato
Ubitquiti UniFi AP AC Lite or Pro depending on features required and budget. I'm pretty sure the controller software can apply timed access controls to a guest wifi network that is what you tell them to connect to.

Soldato
Ubiquiti AP AC Lite or Pros. You can create a wireless network for the kids which is time restricted and a un-restricted wireless network for the adults in the controller software, so it's even better than what you want. The only negative being you would need to run the controller software all the time.

Last edited:
Associate
I just replaced 2 Draytek AP902 access points with Ubiquiti AC Pros. Highly recommend them. Have now bought a USG to fill out the pretty graphs and replace my Draytek router with.

Soldato
Get yourself a router that supports VLANs and put the children's devices on a separate VLAN to which you can apply timing controls and bandwidth limits.

Indeed, I suggest 4 VLANS:

1 - You, your partner, and your toys.
2 - Kids (limit on time and internet bandwidth)
3 - Internet of Things devices (limit on internet bandwidth).
4 - Guests (limit on internet bandwidth).

Soldato
Get yourself a router that supports VLANs and put the children's devices on a separate VLAN to which you can apply timing controls and bandwidth limits.

Indeed, I suggest 4 VLANS:

1 - You, your partner, and your toys.
2 - Kids (limit on time and internet bandwidth)
3 - Internet of Things devices (limit on internet bandwidth).
4 - Guests (limit on internet bandwidth).

How is a Router (i presume you mean a combo unit) going to fix his core issue of WiFi coverage over his whole house?

Soldato
That has already been answered. I was referring to his use of the BT Homehub.

Point is moot. UniFi AP's and control software give all this flexibility with WiFi configuration without the use of a replacement router.

I'm not convinced a computer has to be on 24/7 running the control software to support these features. It's definitely not required for a basic AP setup but happy to be proven otherwise.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback and advice

I have ordered a UBIQUITI UBI-UAP-AC-PRO will get it up and running along side the Airports and have a play about, if coverage is not enough will prob add a LITE for the upstairs and then retire the Airports

I also have a Mac Mini up in the loft which is running 24/7 as a server for the rest of the house network, will install the Control software on this,

Will report back to this thread how i got on, now off to read up in the Ubiquiti thread

Regards

Phil Gr

Associate
OP
Well it has arrived

Plugged in fired up, Firmware updated, and I'm currently looking at the Control software thinking bloody hell this has a lot more to it than the Apple Airport

Much Reading up Required - love new toys :)

Phil G

Back
Top Bottom