New: Windows 10 Creators Update, any good ?

Associate
I have been trying to read bits and pieces about the now available Windows 10 Creators Update.
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ws-10-Creators-Update-How-To-Download-Install

Firstly, is it simply an update and it won't have us all lose all our data like a clean install of windows normally does ? I can't find that info anywhere to confirm this you see and I am unsure.

Secondly, if it is just a normal update that doesn't wipe windows clean, is it worth the bother ?

Lastly, is it huge in size and what are the pro's and con's for normal users that don't use most of the silly added on features of windows 10 in the first place like Cortana for example (all the bloatware), :eek: , I personally use the very latest edition of DoNotSpy10 to cut out all that junk plus help try to stop windows 10 spying on me too.

Thanks for any input from anyone who wishes to comment please ;)

Associate
OP
It's just an update, you shouldn't lose any files, you will end up with a windows.old folder like with an o/s upgrade.

I've installed it twice now, takes around 10 mins with SSD

Cheers, what size roughly is it as my SSD is kinda small ?

Is it any good, I read some stuff saying it makes windows 10 run faster and all that stuff, but I also
read stuff saying maybe now is not the best time to take that update as people think it will have a
lot of bugs etc, that's what made me think it was like some sort of massive update more like a new
windows install, know what I mean ?

Soldato
Downloads about 4gb, if you're worried about the install size, run a disk cleanup to remove all the install files after it completes.

tbh I haven't noticed any differences, but i'd expect like with any update it'll fix as many problems as it creates.

Associate
OP
Downloads about 4gb, if you're worried about the install size, run a disk cleanup to remove all the install files after it completes.

tbh I haven't noticed any differences, but i'd expect like with any update it'll fix as many problems as it creates.

Ok, cheers, in that case I think I will wait a month or two then, lol, there again, knowing MS, they generally take forever to fix some bugs lol

Soldato
It's just an update, you shouldn't lose any files, you will end up with a windows.old folder like with an o/s upgrade.

It is, nonetheless, the same type of upgrade as anniversary was - no ?
and one of the problems with that (eg. look back at oc thread) was that some folks had other disk partitions (multi boot) that became unallocated, so you may have been ok with creator update ....
but personally (as I did for au) I would show extreme caution and delay update until others had tested it ... so wait some months for the fallout.
(maybe all reservations of this type have already been expressed in oc win10 thread - I did not look)

i am sure there are many articles on the new level of creator snooping - here is one I tripped over today,
but i guess web is littered with them
Put down your coffee and admire the sheer amount of data Windows 10 Creators Update will slurp from your PC

Associate
OP
It is, nonetheless, the same type of upgrade as anniversary was - no ?
and one of the problems with that (eg. look back at oc thread) was that some folks had other disk partitions (multi boot) that became unallocated, so you may have been ok with creator update ....
but personally (as I did for au) I would show extreme caution and delay update until others had tested it ... so wait some months for the fallout.
(maybe all reservations of this type have already been expressed in oc win10 thread - I did not look)

i am sure there are many articles on the new level of creator snooping - here is one I tripped over today,
but i guess web is littered with them
Put down your coffee and admire the sheer amount of data Windows 10 Creators Update will slurp from your PC

Wow, I hate all that spying telemetry snooping cr*p man, that's why I didnae want windows 10 from the start but I was kinda forced into buying a genuine activation licence for it to activate it proper as my machine is entirely USB 3.0 and 3.1, not even a header for usb 2 or nuffin and no matter what I done and believe me, I tried what seemed like everything apart from throwing the computer out the window, lol, no chance it would see any usb 2 devices until windows 10 was installed and no chance was it even recognising windows 7 even on various usb 3 sticks either again until windows 10 was fully installed, so I was totally stuck, messed with it for ages, tried all the tips and tricks from ASUS forums etc etc etc to change certain bios settings etc, made no difference, so that was that, I ended up with windows 10 pro x64 against my wishes, was tired of fighting with it, so I had to just accept it and that was it.

I just hope that the likes of DoNotSpy10 makers update that to block all the garbage on the Creators update if they haven't already done it, I noticed the other day that they had a new-ish update edition of the program which I installed, just have to be careful not to install the unwanted added extras with that too, think its thinks like mcafee etc, can't remember now.

Last edited:
Associate
Just to be clear, Windows 10 already reports back the data reported in that link. This is Microsoft pulling back the covers on the telemetry to reduce the amount of flack they have received about it. The creators update won't be any different.

You will have to update to the creators edition eventually just as everyone must be on anniversary edition now. Otherwise you will find yourself quite a way behind on security updates etc.

My advice would be to wait until the update is pushed to your PC. Don't try and download and install it manually until prompted by Windows update. That way you reduce the risk of something seeing up due to incompatibility with your machine. One of the useful things Microsoft do with the telemetry they collect is to check for compatibility issues on different machine builds. If they know your pc may have compatibility issues then you shouldn't receive the update until they have fixed the issues.

Soldato
eh - the link suggests that for the user who is just leaving 'default' privacy

Then there's the information collected in Full mode, which includes everything in Basic plus your user settings and preferences, your browser choice, lists of your peripherals, the apps you use to edit and view images and videos, how long you use the mouse and keyboard, all the applications you've ever installed, URLs to videos you've watched that triggered an error, URLs to music that triggered an error, time spent reading ebooks, text typed in a Microsoft web browser's address and search bar, URLs visited, visited webpage titles, the words you've spoken to Cortana or had translated to text by the system, your ink strokes, and more.

maybe I had not read previous TC's sufficiently but that seems to have upped the anti.

Associate
Soldato
Thanks for link

March 2017 changes ->
We renamed Telemetry and Error Reporting to Diagnostics. In this section, we explained the two levels of diagnostic data, including the type of data collected for each level, depending on the customer’s setting. Additionally, we explained the new Tailored Experiences setting, which enables users to choose whether diagnostic data is used to personalise their experience.

As you use Windows, we collect diagnostic data that helps us fix problems and improve Microsoft products. If you choose to turn on Tailored experiences, this data can also be used to personalise your experiences with Microsoft products.
  • App usage, such as which programs are launched on a device, how long they run and how quickly they respond to input.
  • Browser usage, including browser history and search terms, on Microsoft browsers.

lol : if you choose to turn on ... they imply default is off ?

They do not seem to show older privacy statements versions, to see what browser usage info was previously collected, but implication is they expanded what is collected , and felt some sense of remorse, to then make it switchable

Man of Honour
not this again, some people just like a conspiracy.
not only are they upfront about it. you really should read into how they obtain, transmit and use the data, it is not on the same level as places like google at all.
read up on how they remove information that can be personaly identifiable, how things like documents are not sent in their entirety and are snipped up into small fragments etc.
on top of that just use the settings to turn it off, you dont need all these programs which half of tehm probably install their own spyware.
or if installing fresh the new windows installer now has a privacy page and you can set it up at install.

there really is nothing to be worried about, unless you only listen to the cheap shots on line which dont have a clue what they are talking about.

Soldato
not this again, some people just like a conspiracy.
not only are they upfront about it. you really should read into how they obtain, transmit and use the data, it is not on the same level as places like google at all.
read up on how they remove information that can be personaly identifiable, how things like documents are not sent in their entirety and are snipped up into small fragments etc.
on top of that just use the settings to turn it off, you dont need all these programs which half of tehm probably install their own spyware.
or if installing fresh the new windows installer now has a privacy page and you can set it up at install.

there really is nothing to be worried about, unless you only listen to the cheap shots on line which dont have a clue what they are talking about.

Errr mate. This is the internet. Please keep your sane, sensible discussions elsewhere!

Soldato
just a word of warning, updated this evening and all seemed fine aside from the fact that no game would work, it caused the pc to lockup with a black screen and had to do hard reset each time. tried disabling gaming mode and dvr recording but still the same, spoke with MS and they advised to roll back.

Don
From my usage, the only difference I've noticed is now you can connect to your VPNs directly from the network icon, instead of having to open it up just to click 'Connect'.

Soldato
Got it installed today. Seemed to be a three-stage process, got big updates last night. More this morning, including checking privacy options splashscreen, and then after that more big updates and installs. Perhaps the process will vary from user to user.

Observations:

1. It deleted my wallpaper.
2. It changed sound driver from headphones to monitor speakers.
3. It removed my enhancements from headphone properties.
4. Right-click Start > Control Panel link, is gone. Have added it to Task Bar for time being, as I find it useful/easier to uninstall programs etc.
5. It changed monitor's refresh rate to default.
6. It removed my individual game settings in Nvidia Control Panel (Maximum Performance, Adaptive Vsync etc).
7. GTA V failed to launch. Fix for this was upgrading to the latest RivaTuner Beta 7.0.0 Beta 19. If you don't have RivaTuner already, then this won't be a fix for you, so don't install it.

Back
Top Bottom