New World MMO

Man of Honour
That's true, but they're not MMO's. You can throw in FIFA and Madden as well, massive PvP games, but the MMO crowd definitely leans more heavily toward PvE. Look at the most succesful MMO, FFXIV, the PvP is almsost an afterthought and no-one cares. You talk about EVE I guess, but that's a niche within a niche. If you look at NW's dev, people didn't like the PvP focus, so they changed it, should they have done? maybe not? but the numbers spoke, and Amazon is numbers driven. I would definitely say that the vast majority of trad fantasy setting MMO's player-base cares more about the PvE, people don't want the toxicity of PvP, just look at the **** that's happening in NW. And we know the other genres of PvP are also really toxic.

Why decided to dump LOTR, the golden goose of fantasy IP's, for this nondescript souless setting was the real mistake.

I dont necessarily think it was a mistake to shift the focus to PvE, I do however think it was a mistake to shift that focus and then not delay the game further than they did. The main issue I had with the beta wasnt that it had shifted PvP > PvE , it was that there simply wasnt enough on the PvE side of things (not enough width or depth) to support it. Should have delayed it much longer than they did imo.

Soldato
Not really, I didn't find levelling in FFXIV to be like work at all. It was tedious at times in ARR, but never work. NW has got about 6 skills/abilities, some ho-hum PvP, then the faction system PvP which is utterly broken and will never work, and a disastrous banning/report system. The rest of the game is running back and forwards digging things/chopping trees down.

Not to be pedantic but everyone knows that FF14 isn't really a traditional MMO. They have basically put the MMO second to the RPG. Strip away the MMO bit and its basically a single player FF. Nothing wrong with that at all its just a bit weird to compare.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't agree with that, it's got a ton if mmo elements, dungeon encounters/raid encounters, housing where people congregate together/open world encounters. The main difference to a lot of MMOs is that they are prioritising a single player expansion long story that has set a new standard in mmo storytelling.

Soldato
I dont necessarily think it was a mistake to shift the focus to PvE, I do however think it was a mistake to shift that focus and then not delay the game further than they did. The main issue I had with the beta wasnt that it had shifted PvP > PvE , it was that there simply wasnt enough on the PvE side of things (not enough width or depth) to support it. Should have delayed it much longer than they did imo.

I don't disagree they should have delayed it at least another year. Trouble is they were already running very low on credibility, now they're atificially holding back Lost Ark, a ready to go game, so it doesn't clash with NW, why didn't they just switch the releases around? It's a a cycle of poor decision making.

Man of Honour
I don't disagree they should have delayed it at least another year. Trouble is they were already running very low on credibility, now they're atificially holding back Lost Ark, a ready to go game, so it doesn't clash with NW, why didn't they just switch the releases around? It's a a cycle of poor decision making.

I wonder what impact Lost Ark will have on numbers when it finally releases.

Soldato
Not to be pedantic but everyone knows that FF14 isn't really a traditional MMO. They have basically put the MMO second to the RPG. Strip away the MMO bit and its basically a single player FF. Nothing wrong with that at all its just a bit weird to compare.

I don't agree with that at all, there's virtually everything from an MMO included, with tons of side content on top. It doesn't play like a single player FF. What's it's not is a PvP focussed MMO, but that's not what the FFXIV community wants.

Soldato
Warhammer Age of Reckonning had a great feature - PvP area's you could wander into, fight for as long as you want then walk out back into PvE.

Sadly, I can't see longevity in New World unless you play it for the PvP, which is not that good tbh.

V F

V F

Soldato
Warhammer Age of Reckonning had a great feature - PvP area's you could wander into, fight for as long as you want then walk out back into PvE.

Sadly, I can't see longevity in New World unless you play it for the PvP, which is not that good tbh.

Isn't it mainly a PVE game?

Caporegime

yea new world seems to have multiple zones with conflicting levelling ranges.
they could have made half the map pvp only zones with 10% exp and luck boost or something.

add some pvp and pve objectives on the map like alterac valley..

no forced pvp but have it mean something

Associate
Anyone's performance get wrecked with the latest patch?

Know a few things you can do if you happen to use a nvidia card but I am a bit anxious about giving advice on here.
Just stuff like not using 4k, capping your frame rate at 60, using afterburner etc to monitor/adjust the power limit so it does not go over 100 etc

I actually put my 1070ti back into my machine than risk a newer card just to be on the safe side till they properly patch stuff. Runs a treat and doesn't get too warm (considering its a blower)

The game seems to run good on anything (especially with the mobile/link gimmick) its just horribly optimised and that really needs sorting.

On a side note.. transfers next week it looks like, thats good

SPG

SPG

Soldato
PVP ruines MMPORGS... Same old vocal people whine and moan and in the end devs quit as it PVP is easy to cater for in a MMO and they move onto the next one.

Unless stated its PVP centric then it should always be a by product of PVE.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
PVP ruines MMPORGS... Same old vocal people whine and moan and in the end devs quit as it PVP is easy to cater for in a MMO and they move onto the next one.

Unless stated its PVP centric then it should always be a by product of PVE.
You're aware this game was originally intended to be wholly PvP right? And PvE was only added as an afterthought because the PvE crowd moaned like children?

Soldato
You're aware this game was originally intended to be wholly PvP right? And PvE was only added as an afterthought because the PvE crowd moaned like children?

The vast majority of MMO players are PvE centric, so the vast majority of feedback AGS got was for people who wanted PvE, so they changed the development of the game. It's not about "crying" it's just the realities of the market, and Aamzon are the last company that's going to ignore data.

Associate
Unless we have some pvp games then most gamers will be pvp centric. I haven't pvped yet.

I think this game needs work but they have got the basics right. It just needs more content. Considering the state of mmos recently I like it. Nit rushing though. Think I'll level up logging, skinning and gathering etc today.

Associate
I am enjoying it so far, a lot of mmos have so much content that I feel overwhelmed. Only level 20 but run around flagged for pvp and only been killed a few times. Don’t mind not having mounts as like exploring and fast travel if needed, its not a very big world and no corpse runs to do

V F

V F

Soldato
I am enjoying it so far, a lot of mmos have so much content that I feel overwhelmed. Only level 20 but run around flagged for pvp and only been killed a few times. Don’t mind not having mounts as like exploring and fast travel if needed, its not a very big world and no corpse runs to do

I've started to notice this watching numerous streams. I'm starting to recognise a lot of the same areas and battles.

Back
Top Bottom