New york 19th november

Soldato
I'm heading over to new York at the back end of November for a holiday (first proper holiday in 6yrs) and I'm looking to take a few photos while I'm over there. I'll be taking my 5d2 with 24 - 70 and 70 - 200 with 1.4 extender as well as my tripod and probably gorilla pod as well.

I'm looking for a few recommendations on places to visit. My hotel is next to the rockefeller centre so will be on the observation deck a couple of times. Already planning a half hour helicopter flight with the door open :eek: along with going arranging to use a tripod within grand central station.

Anyone whose been before got any tips beforehand places to go etc?

Cheers

Soldato
Definitely do the rockefeller at either sunrise or sunset (you can actually get a ticket that allows both in a single day).

The One World Observatory isn't great for photos as it's all behind glass. The highline is worth a walk.

If you want to do a ferry just to get some shots of the city from the river and/or statue of liberty - you can take the Staten Island ferry as it's free (will be busy in commuting hours).

Soldato
OP
The Rockefeller Centre is definitely top (of the rock ;)) of my list and getting a day and night pass is what i was looking at. Will take a look at the Highline and the ferry to / from staten island (saw that on the New York program that was on Tuesday past)

Shadowness, excellent photos on your blog.

I'm pretty sure Macy's parade is on in the Thursday I'm over there so no doubt will get a few photos there as well.

Soldato
OP
Shadowness, just had another look through your blog again. I see you've got a photo inside the Guggenheim museum. Did you have any issue with taking photos there?

EDIT

Never mind I just read the Guggenheim museum page and they say its fine but no tripods!

Last edited:
Soldato
^Really?!

It was fine to take photos int he entrance hall, but they said no photography when you were walking around the exhibits themselves. I just did it sneakily from the hip most of the time. Everyone was taking photos though, I have no idea why they don't let you tbh.

Soldato
OP
^Really?!

It was fine to take photos int he entrance hall, but they said no photography when you were walking around the exhibits themselves. I just did it sneakily from the hip most of the time. Everyone was taking photos though, I have no idea why they don't let you tbh.

I think it's more to do with taking photos where the exhibits are for folk who might try to counterfeit them. I might pop them an email to see if I can take photos in other areas cos I'm more interested in the building more than what is in it :)

Back
Top Bottom