New York restaurants

Don
Off there in a few weeks and it's the missus's birthday so looking for a nice restaurant

a couple I am looking at are Jean Georges and Daniel

would like to try Per Se but is a bit ( ok a lot ) pricey and unless I hear spectacular reports then prob a no go

any opinions / suggestions ?

Don
OP
been to one of S+W places , was ok but nothing special IMO

we have a good steak house lined up ( Del Friscos )

thanks anyway :)

Permabanned
Not exactly what you're looking for, but in the Prospect Heights area of Brooklyn there's a diner that does the best Steak & Eggs I've ever had on all my trips in the US! For the life of me I can't remember the name though, but from the outside it looks like a large railway carriage.

Associate
Up market, you could try the rainbow room, but the food is very poor when we went. We had something that looked like a bernard mathews breadcrumb thing.

Soldato
Sent my mate this the other day based upon my experiences/where I'd visit. You've already mentioned a few on here, I'd definitely go to Jean Georges. Per Se would be amazing but getting a booking is very difficult and you're talking $400/head. Give WD-50 a go too:

Formal places:
Jean Georges - Probably the best value 3 michelin star restaurant in the world. You can eat lunch there for $28/head. It's quite a smart/formal place but one of the top places in the US and would be number 1 on my list (i missed out on going there last time)
Daniel - Formal, french food, but is consistently rated as one of the top restaurants in NYC, not cheap though
Le Bernardin - Formal, supposed to be superb seafood. Like Daniel not as cheap as Jean Georges

Interesting/other places:
Perry Street - Run by the same people as Jean Georges, they also do a really, really good value lunch but it's less formal.
WD-50 - Casual restaurant, it's a really relaxed, friendly atmosphere but the food is really interesting with some unusual combinations, similar to Sat Bains/Heston Blumenthal in style
Peter Luger - There's loads of top steakhouses in NYC, but this one is the one everyone goes for. Very traditional but they get all the best beef in NYC
Momofuku Ssam Bar - Supposed to be a really good Korean/American place which shouldn't break the bank. Doesn't take reservations, you have to turn up and hope.
Sushi Yasuda - One of the best Sushi places in NYC but not as expensive as most

Worth mentioning but very expensive:
Per-Se - Supposed to be one of the best restaurants in the world. Very difficult to get into and /very/ expensive but supposedly worth it...
Masa - Well I guess it's worth mentioning. Per Se is expensive, but this place makes it look cheap. I believe it's about the most expensive place in the world at ~$400/head. You basically get served whatever the chef feels like serving you as part of a tasting menu style.

Also try the burger bar at le parker meridien at some point - I ended up going twice! It's a really cool place. Oh and if there's one place I'd say to avoid - Bouley. Went there and had one of the most dissapointing meals I've ever had. It made for some amusing conversation but some of the dishes were basically inedible.

Soldato
Not a fancy place but if you are there for a few days and want somewhere for a quick snack at some point and a challenge (spicy), then go to the Brooklyn Diner which is located at one end of Times Square (across from the Police building with the huge AOL sign above it)

Go in and order some buffallo wings and choose the "incendiary" flavour... Blows your mouth off :D

Just looked - its 155, W43rd street, right off Times Square

Don
OP
Sent my mate this the other day based upon my experiences/where I'd visit. You've already mentioned a few on here, I'd definitely go to Jean Georges. Per Se would be amazing but getting a booking is very difficult and you're talking $400/head. Give WD-50 a go too:

Formal places:
Jean Georges - Probably the best value 3 michelin star restaurant in the world. You can eat lunch there for $28/head. It's quite a smart/formal place but one of the top places in the US and would be number 1 on my list (i missed out on going there last time)
Daniel - Formal, french food, but is consistently rated as one of the top restaurants in NYC, not cheap though
Le Bernardin - Formal, supposed to be superb seafood. Like Daniel not as cheap as Jean Georges

Interesting/other places:
Perry Street - Run by the same people as Jean Georges, they also do a really, really good value lunch but it's less formal.
WD-50 - Casual restaurant, it's a really relaxed, friendly atmosphere but the food is really interesting with some unusual combinations, similar to Sat Bains/Heston Blumenthal in style
Peter Luger - There's loads of top steakhouses in NYC, but this one is the one everyone goes for. Very traditional but they get all the best beef in NYC
Momofuku Ssam Bar - Supposed to be a really good Korean/American place which shouldn't break the bank. Doesn't take reservations, you have to turn up and hope.
Sushi Yasuda - One of the best Sushi places in NYC but not as expensive as most

Worth mentioning but very expensive:
Per-Se - Supposed to be one of the best restaurants in the world. Very difficult to get into and /very/ expensive but supposedly worth it...
Masa - Well I guess it's worth mentioning. Per Se is expensive, but this place makes it look cheap. I believe it's about the most expensive place in the world at ~$400/head. You basically get served whatever the chef feels like serving you as part of a tasting menu style.

Also try the burger bar at le parker meridien at some point - I ended up going twice! It's a really cool place. Oh and if there's one place I'd say to avoid - Bouley. Went there and had one of the most dissapointing meals I've ever had. It made for some amusing conversation but some of the dishes were basically inedible.

Thanks for this, superb info :)

Man of Honour
Is Sparks Steak House still going in Manhattan ?

It is rumoured to be excellent.

I never did get there when I was in NYC and quite wanted to go. Gambino boss Paul Castellano was gunned down there in 1985 on the orders of an up and coming John Gotti.

Pretty strange reason to visit I know but I like steak and have an interst in the mafia.

Back
Top Bottom