New z77x d3h question ??

Associate
ok i picked one of these up the other day at the 1st day of the gadget show from OC's stand along with a ssd and 16 gigs of ram for my new build, now im going to wait for the ib chip at the end of april so ive been shopping around for graphics cards... this may be a silly question but does anyone know if this will take 3 nvidea cards in 3 way sli ? im away so cant get to the box to take a look but want to order my cards asap lol... can someone help pleeeaaassseee lol

Soldato
No, this board only supports two cards in SLI.

If you want to run a triple-SLI setup then I would recommend you go for an X79 system instead of Z77 - since the LGA1155 CPUs only have 16 PCIE graphics lanes connecting to the CPU (so for two cards this is divided into 8 each). In contrast X79 systems have 40 PCIE lanes connecting to the CPU.

May I ask what your graphics card budget is? We'd be happy to recommend you some options (and ones that would run well with your existing board).

Associate
OP
to be honest im not a major pc gamer... im after a nice system that would play 99 percent of games on high settings.. do you think my current plans will do this if i used a 2 way sli setup ?

Associate
OP
ive got my xbox 360 for my games hence not a great pc gamer.... but would like to play the odd few as you can get better graphics on a pc most of the time...

Associate
Triple SLI isn't worth it unless you're folding, even SLI, but because of you saying you play games on the Xbox 360, go with a single card such as GTX 680/580.

Associate
OP
wicked, cheers guys.. overclockers is defo the place to go for advice peeps are on it like sonic lol, ill go with the ib i7 + a gtx680 along with 16gb ram(owned) and my z77 board (owned) oh and not forgetting my ssd... is that a good build ? ive only ever done core 2 duo builds back in the day so not really clued up as well as i used to be lol

Soldato
Sounds like a very nice build.

Just make sure you couple it with a good quality PSU (in the 550-650W range), solid CPU cooler and a nice case :)

Also, if you want to be able to address all your memory then I recommend you go for Windows 7 Professional (64bit), since Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) can only address up to 16GB of total memory (including system RAM and graphics RAM). Therefore, if you installed your RAM kits and the GTX 680 then you would only be able to address ~14GB of system RAM with Win 7 HP.

Associate
OP
wicked thanks for the advice ive got a windows 7 pro disk and key here actually so thats a bargain lol, i'll post some piccys when ive eventually got all the bits for the build as im thinking about doing a very unique water cooling setup which i did with my core 2 duo build... had everyone wanting the side off to take a look all the time lol so gunna do it again..

Soldato
Also, if you want to be able to address all your memory then I recommend you go for Windows 7 Professional (64bit), since Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) can only address up to 16GB of total memory (including system RAM and graphics RAM). Therefore, if you installed your RAM kits and the GTX 680 then you would only be able to address ~14GB of system RAM with Win 7 HP.

It doesn't affect the OP with Windows 7 Professional (I assume 64 bit) but I don't believe that VRAM counts towards the 16GB limit of Home Premium 64 bit.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium on my gaming PC.

It has 16GB of RAM and three 2GB graphics cards.

All 16GB of RAM is available for use by Windows.

Soldato
Ah, that is interesting - my mistake then.

I guess since the 16GB limit is an artificial limit (unlike the ones imposed on 32bit OSs) then they can set it so that the 16GB just refers to the main system RAM.

Permabanned
That is great
g.gif

Associate
OP
hey peeps, ive nearly finished with my build, ive wacked in a i5 i had spare untill i get my ib :) and got a mean ass case ... ive got some piccys but havent had the chance to sort em out, btw anyone know for a good graphics card ?

Soldato
Sounds great, look forward to seeing the pictures :)

As for the graphics card, it really depends how much you want to spend and what resoltion you will be playing games at. If you don't want to spend too much then this HD 6850 for £85 is a really fantastic deal at the moment, it will allow you to play most modern games at 1080p with decent framerates and mid/high graphics.

Top Bottom