Newbie > i7-8700k overclocking sanity check

Associate
Hey all,
Got my i7-8700k @ 4.9Ghz on a Corsair H115i AIO. On Prime95 blend my temps are at about 65C after about ten mins. Idle it's at about 26C or so. Memory is at 3.2Ghz with XMP profile 1. Graphics card is a 1060 NVidia 6G. I score 1560 on Cinebench. Looking at a 1080Ti in New year.

Is that 65C a bit high? My AIO I just used stock paste that came pre-applied on the cooler block. I was wondering whether to get some Arctic Silver or some other compound? OR leave alone?

Appreciate your thoughts please. How do my performance figures look? I'm not bothered about getting every last inch of performance but psychologically would like to to get 5Ghz.

Associate
Totally fine. If you've got temp headroom you could push higher, not sure you'll have it though. CB15 score on par with any other 8700k at that clock.

If you want to max it but don't have thermal headroom for 5g, can always bump bclk... Won't see any real world gains though...

Associate
Ah well that makes sense. Just take it slow, go at your own pace. :)

I'm enjoying all the tweaking now, which is a shock to me, so have fun with it if you can. I know what you mean about the psychological 5 number, it is completely arbitrary but seems important somehow.

Best of luck! :cool:

Associate
OP
Thanks guys. TBH I am happy to get 4.9 out of it. System is a beaut now I got some restart issues sorted out. I may push for 5.0 when I get some more time but will let it sit where it is for a few weeks and see if it's stable.

Associate
Should do you fine as is for a fair while, gpu upgrade is the one to look forward to, massive difference between 1060 and 1080ti. Enjoy running everything on ultra when it comes!

Back
Top Bottom