Newbie needs new motherboard and case with psu

Associate
Hello folks i have at the moment a HP 8300 sff factor and have just installed a GTX 1050 ti which works great,the only thing is to get it to fit i have had to hack the case apart and the lid wont fit.The pc is running an i5 3470 socket 1155 LGA HP 3397 motherboard,also i have installed 12gb ddr3 memory.I would like to buy a new motherboard psu and a case so i can just move everything from this pc into the new case.Could you please give me some advice on cases and motherboards please also it has to be able to use my new gtx 1050ti.Im not after mega expensive and i realize my pc is fairly old but i mainly use it as a HTPC.

Thanks a lot
mick

Soldato
Welcome to the forums.

Hello folks i have at the moment a HP 8300 sff factor and have just installed a GTX 1050 ti which works great,the only thing is to get it to fit i have had to hack the case apart and the lid wont fit.
Did you buy a low profile 1050ti?

If not the cheaper option would be something like this MSI GTX 1050Ti LP (It comes with a LP bracket too)

The core of your rig is still very capable - and if it's doing all that you ask of it with the GTX 1050Ti installed (especially as you use it mainly as an HTPC) - you may be better off returning the card and getting a low profile version (that is of course if you haven't got one already - and it just wont fit). It would certainly save you a lot of cash...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hello I think i bought the wrong version i have now the nvidia gtx 1050 ti overclocked,not low profile.Pc world said they wont have it back unless its broken,I dont mind getting a new mother board and case

Soldato
Did you buy the card in the shop or via their website?

Or if it was in the shop did they give you advice?

Last edited:
Soldato
no any advice on a motherboard and case please.
Yes, and no.

The 1155 is a dead socket as you probably know. So your only option is to buy second hand.

The z77 boards are selling for stupid amounts on the bay £100+, which is what you would ideally need for your CPU to guarantee Ivy bridge compatibility out of the box. You can run the CPU on the z68 but they require that the seller has updated to the latest BIOS (unless later revsions) or even a p67 (but wouldn't advise this). But again ridiculous money still being asked...

You may be better off selling your CPU and memory and buying a cheap Ryzen setup - or are you comfortable spending £100+ on a second hand motherboard?

Associate
OP
Yes, and no.

The 1155 is a dead socket as you probably know. So your only option is to buy second hand.

The z77 boards are selling for stupid amounts on the bay £100+, which is what you would ideally need for your CPU to guarantee Ivy bridge compatibility out of the box. You can run the CPU on the z68 but they require that the seller has updated to the latest BIOS (unless later revsions) or even a p67 (but wouldn't advise this). But again ridiculous money still being asked...

You may be better off selling your CPU and memory and buying a cheap Ryzen setup - or are you comfortable spending £100+ on a second hand motherboard?
Thank you.yes I have been looking the mother boards are expensive.sometimes I'm a dick.Is there any reason I just can't buy a case and transplant my setup into it.

Associate
Thank you.yes I have been looking the mother boards are expensive.sometimes I'm a ****.Is there any reason I just can't buy a case and transplant my setup into it.

You could buy the Corsair Air 740 tower case but it don't have any retro 5.25 bays or a Corsair CC-9011075-WW Carbide Series 100R Windowed Mid-Tower cost £47.97 with two 5.25 bays

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't find anything concrete but if it's a standard Micro ATX then in theory it should fit into any case.

Are you after a small form factor still or something larger?

Scrub that - if the motherboard pic i've just looked at, the rear IO panel would be in the wrong place for just any case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I will probably be better of trying to buy a used full sized i5 or i7 pc and using that.thank you for your trouble.
No worries.

There may be an alternative - but i'm not familiar with that MoBo - but it's definetly not standard from my searches.

Clicky - does that look familiar?

Soldato
I've seen it - but you will need to delete it.

That board will support your CPU, if it has the right BIOS, but it's a lot of money for very little board.

CPU support - it requires BIOS 3607 or later.

Associate
OP
I've seen it - but you will need to delete it.

That board will support your CPU, if it has the right BIOS, but it's a lot of money for very little board.

CPU support - it requires BIOS 3607 or later.

Ok have removed it .would i be better looking at a more modern pc if yes any ideas on a way i can do it for a reasonable price

Soldato
Ok have removed it .would i be better looking at a more modern pc if yes any ideas on a way i can do it for a reasonable price
It's a tough call - especially its predominant use is as a HTPC? (if it's not please clarify)

Although the board you mentioned isn't anything special it would run as an HTPC perfectly well- and would be a relatively small outlay with the addition of a new case/psu.

Do you game on the machine at all?

Associate
OP
I bought the Gtx 1050ti to do a little bit of gaming but mainly emulators N64,ps2 but im not a big gamer just now and again .I watch a lot of movies so mainly for that,It would be nice to play Call of duty but it doesn't have to be a high settings.The way my pc is now is perfectly fine.If i could just transplant it into a bigger case i would but as we know the motherboard is configured wrong for that

Soldato
I bought the Gtx 1050ti to do a little bit of gaming but mainly emulators N64,ps2 but im not a big gamer just now and again .I watch a lot of movies so mainly for that,It would be nice to play Call of duty but it doesn't have to be a high settings.The way my pc is now is perfectly fine.If i could just transplant it into a bigger case i would but as we know the motherboard is configured wrong for that
Feel sorry for you as the card was a solid choice for your intended use - apart from form factor (don't beat yourself too much - easy mistake to make).

Are you absolutely positive you couldn't badger the right sales assistant at the retailer and get them to at least give you store credit for the 1050ti? Try a sob story over the phone - may work.

It will save you a lot of money...

If no - then i'll put together Micro-ATX Ryzen 1400/1500 build together.

Max Budget and what parts wouldn't you need? (or perhaps list what you would need)

Associate
OP
How much would a Micro-ATX Ryzen 1400/1500 cost just the case psu and cpu,im assuming my gpu would be ok.Im guessing the ram would be different.Im sure i could install the ssd and hdd,cd writer,Pm me if you'd rather do that.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom