Associate
Hello all,

I'd really like to try a new hobby and as I'm outdoors every day walking my dog. Id like to take advantage of some of the views and species I see and learn to capture them in the best way.

I'm after any suggestions for either a new camera set up or if anyone has products to look out for second hand which would help me out.

I'd like to use the camera for shooting wildlife, my spaniel! & scenery.

Budget is around £500 / £600.

If anyone can recommend anything then I would be grateful, I've done quite a bit of research but reading some of the posts on this forum I thought this is the best place for knowledge.

Thanks

Tom

Caporegime
What kind of wild life?

Insects or lions in Africa? I'm going to guess the former as the latter is not possible for

I normally would say Canon or Nikon but since picking up a Fuji system I can wholeheartedly recommend something like the X-T1 with a 23/2.0. That can be had for £600 used (I got my X-T1 for £350) and get the lens from the Fuji refurb store. They do a macro lens at 90mm too.

The problem is in terms of say expansion and lens selection, depends how deep you go down the rabbit hole, Canon has by far the best lens selection, Nikon come a close second.

Soldato
Wildlife... is perhaps (one of) the most expensive field! Building a collection of telephoto lenses can be more expensive than medium format digital! (e.g. £80,000)

I'd say perhaps get started with the Micro Four Thirds system as there are some entry level telephoto lenses. APSC format is also good but it's perhaps beyond budget's reach.

Caporegime
Three options that I would just throw out there.

Nikon D7000 body + 17-50mm f/2.8 and 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR.

D3200 18-55mm kit, + 35mm f/1.8 and 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR.

Or D3300 kit and 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR.

Choice there is between lightweight body with better sensor resolution and better video functionality, or a more pro camera with better AF system for wildlife, much better viewfinder, weather sealing and double the battery life. Totally depends what you're doing.

Either of those 3 setups comes in at approx £600.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom