Newcastle United: Mike Ashley puts Premier League club up for sale

Caporegime
Not sure this is good for Newcastle. Unless he manages to sell before January then he won't put any money up for any players. Or he will be asking some Astronomical sum and when he can't sell then he will be all 'I tried, you're stuck with me!'

Associate
I was listening to sky sports Jim White on his talk sport show last week and he said a lady was visiting a Newcastle match as s guest which doesn’t sound odd but this lady Jim knew because she brokers deals for the Middle East she was pivotal in the sheikhs buying Man City and a few other clubs, food for though.

Soldato
I was listening to sky sports Jim White on his talk sport show last week and he said a lady was visiting a Newcastle match as s guest which doesn’t sound odd but this lady Jim knew because she brokers deals for the Middle East she was pivotal in the sheikhs buying Man City and a few other clubs, food for though.

It is a bit of a sleeping giant to be fair, big stadium already in place, decent training facilities and good supporters.

Soldato
I'm not convinced about the world wide appeal of north east clubs. They are all massive "local" clubs, all in one club cities with good gates and support, but I don't know how they can make that transition to a world wide club. If that makes sense.

Associate
I'm not convinced about the world wide appeal of north east clubs. They are all massive "local" clubs, all in one club cities with good gates and support, but I don't know how they can make that transition to a world wide club. If that makes sense.

It depends on how they want the club to look maybe? Leicester is a great example they are the same type of club but the owners bought into there fans and made good investments that were never big eye catching signings yet Man City want that Real Madrid type mega signings and world brand appeal

Associate
Despite being a Spurs fan Ashley has actually managed to turn things round and get them back to the prem, think Newcastle fan's are a bit hasty to get rid of him. Better the devil you know!

Soldato
It depends on how they want the club to look maybe? Leicester is a great example they are the same type of club but the owners bought into there fans and made good investments that were never big eye catching signings yet Man City want that Real Madrid type mega signings and world brand appeal

But where are Leicester going? They look a million miles from the league winning year at the moment.

Associate
But where are Leicester going? They look a million miles from the league winning year at the moment.

The question I was answering was about the location of said clubs an how desirable Newcastle looks because it’s northeastern. I don’t see how Leicester’s location is down to performance on the pitch, that’s managers performance surely?

Edit: They still won the league, the owners are realistic but will sort it out if they cannot maintain it. They sacked Pearson even tho he took them up and bought in Ranieri who won the league!

Soldato
I just think for the lesser sides, it seems like a great way of burning money. If you threw 250 to 500 million on Newcastle or Sunderland. What would be your return at the end of it?

Associate
I just think for the lesser sides, it seems like a great way of burning money. If you threw 250 to 500 million on Newcastle or Sunderland. What would be your return at the end of it?

TBH I don’t really know, sometimes clubs seem like a billionaires play toy. If you invest very well maybe hope a bigger fish buys you out and you make a profit it’s pretty much unheard of.

Soldato
Newcastle could be a great club.

It is one of the nicest looking cities in the UK, it is best (and only) place for miles around the area. It is quite a trendy city. It surely has a lot of ingredients already, just needs a massive amount of money shoved into buying players

Soldato
just needs a massive amount of money shoved into buying players

and a supprtive owner thats willing to give it 15-20 years to get it that consistancy

Even Fergie took 6 years or so to get real consistancy - and that was during a time when the EPl / League wasnt that competitive so it was "relatively" easy to make huge advances.

Now there are so many clubs who have been in and around the bottom end of the EPL for so long that its even tougher to stay in the top league and attract the right players to keep you up, and improve year on year.

Getting into and staying in the top 10 is even harder

I know we arent even 1/4 of the way through the season yet but look at how Southampton and Everton are struggling - I think its fair to say both are top 10 clubs or there abouts for the last 4-5 years I think. Its not as easy as just haivng the fans coming week in week out

(personally would love it if Sunderland and Newcastle stayed out / dropped out of the EPL but maybe thats just me)

Last edited:
Soldato
Despite being a Spurs fan Ashley has actually managed to turn things round and get them back to the prem, think Newcastle fan's are a bit hasty to get rid of him. Better the devil you know!

not sure if serious ? i;d say Benitez likely had more to do with getting them back than Ashley. It was Ashley's craptastic policies that likely got them relegated in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom