Newish BMW Security Concern!!

Soldato
What about one of our members who had his e92 me stolen recently ?

Wasn't that mysteriously stolen without keys in complete silence ?

*edit* yep !

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18361291

Wonder what the odds are this was stolen that way ?

Yup, mine was locked. It's one of those weird habits you get into - I *always* check the handle when I lock the door. Still do.

Mine now has a lot more security on than it had.

EDITed to add, both BMW and insurer insisted the car was unstealable without the keys - which was absolutely comical when you think about it.

Last edited:
Soldato

None of that makes sense. He says they use a jammer which reads the data and is then used in a new key. A jammer is that (and only that) a jammer. It blocks the signal from the key to the car during the lock / unlock sequence. It won't store the data and even if it did, the revolving immobiliser code would stop the car from being started. That, and anyone using the word "pre-emptying" should be ignored :p

Soldato
None of that makes sense. He says they use a jammer which reads the data and is then used in a new key. A jammer is that (and only that) a jammer. It blocks the signal from the key to the car during the lock / unlock sequence. It won't store the data and even if it did, the revolving immobiliser code would stop the car from being started. That, and anyone using the word "pre-emptying" should be ignored :p

doesnt it say they use a jammer to stop you locking your car, therefore gaining entry and using obd equipment to then steal it?

Caporegime

Read it again :)

Jammed to stop you locking then the rest is done inside the unlocked car.

Associate
I have just had my black BMW 335d - YH11 HJD stolen from my drive way yesterday morning.

I am one hundred percent it was locked cause I drove home, took out my golf clubs and other bits from the car. I then checked it was locked as my Mrs constantly reminds me. Went to bed at 12am last night, car was still there and woke this morning to go to work only to find the car is gone. Having read through various threads and others I am amazed how BMW aren't doing anything about this.

Both keys are with me. They made virtually no sound and the alarm did not go off. Not sure how they got into the vehicle?

Feel quite sick about this. Not sure I want another BMW even when the insurance pays out.

Soldato
Been reading a bit about this whole thing this afternoon and it appears as though London and the Midlands are getting hit a lot.

Some poor guy got his 1M stolen using this method. When you start looking around it's actually genuinely quite worrying to see how many of the high power BMW's are being stolen this way.

Soldato
I have just had my black BMW 335d - YH11 HJD stolen from my drive way yesterday morning.

I am one hundred percent it was locked cause I drove home, took out my golf clubs and other bits from the car. I then checked it was locked as my Mrs constantly reminds me. Went to bed at 12am last night, car was still there and woke this morning to go to work only to find the car is gone. Having read through various threads and others I am amazed how BMW aren't doing anything about this.

Both keys are with me. They made virtually no sound and the alarm did not go off. Not sure how they got into the vehicle?

Feel quite sick about this. Not sure I want another BMW even when the insurance pays out.

What did the police say..?

TS7

TS7

Soldato
The individuals with the knowledge to carry out the thefts have the pick of any BMW. They'd have to be a pretty terrible thief to target a 2004 E60 when they have the capability to steal high value newer models; M5's, M3's, 6 Series' etc

Man of Honour
The individuals with the knowledge to carry out the thefts have the pick of any BMW. They'd have to be a pretty terrible thief to target a 2004 E60 when they have the capability to steal new models; M5's, M3's, 6 Series' etc

2004 E60 doesnt have a card slot key anyway.

Don
Just to clarify the technique mostly being talked here allows you to reprogram a CAS key using the OBD port, as I already eluded to, swapping round pins on the OBD (namely the DME) allows you to secure your car by nulifying a standard OBD cable.

simples :)

Back
Top Bottom